Australians buying diesels in record numbers

And if you've ever wondered why it seems like most, if not all posts from down under seem to deal with diesel issues, check this out:
http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/aus...Dc4NiZRcGI9MSZzaWQ9MTU1M0NGNUY4QUNEJk5uZT0xNQ..
Seems like our Aussie friends are, at least for the moment, more than a little out of step with the rest of the world. Here's to being out of step mate!(drinks)

Cheers Australia. (drinks)

Give the boring car advocate greeny weenies one of these, (flip) .

(lol2)

I would like to be "out of step" this year but discouraged by lack of info coming from Mazda corporate.
Same here... That's why I bought the regular 2.5 instead of waiting . . .

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I would like to be "out of step" this year but discouraged by lack of info coming from Mazda corporate.

Supposed to be intro'd this fall and available late 2017 (Nov-Dec). Probably won't hear much else until the intro in October'ish.

I would not be at all surprised if Mazda pulls the plug on US diesel sales given the current environment. If they don't, they're either braver or crazier than one might think!

I would not be at all surprised if Mazda pulls the plug on US diesel sales given the current environment. If they don't, they're either braver or crazier than one might think!

'Current environment' gets over stated IMO.

There's still a good number of us who want powerful but efficient ICE engines and a lot of ex-TDI owners looking for a replacement. Mazda is a 'niche' brand and this is simply another niche for them to cater too. Especially now with far less competition with VW having exited.

It's all about that torque and the improved fuel mileage that comes with it. Lots of low-midrange torque makes for a great daily driver.

With the 2.5L giving me about 29 in mixed the diesel looks good for rural areas or folks doing a lot of highway commute. In city - the 2.5L rules. I think the diesel might pull 33 combined but that wont be enough to offset the cost and you dont need that torque on primarily flat city roads. In country - yes that would be nice to have for towing and ease of driving on roller coaster roads.

With the 2.5L giving me about 29 in mixed the diesel looks good for rural areas or folks doing a lot of highway commute. In city - the 2.5L rules. I think the diesel might pull 33 combined but that wont be enough to offset the cost and you dont need that torque on primarily flat city roads. In country - yes that would be nice to have for towing and ease of driving on roller coaster roads.
I think it will be great for city driving as well. With so much torque available at 2k RPM, the transmission would hardly need to downshift for anything at city speed limits. Of course, this is all assumption on my part. Would really be nice to test drive one to find out how it drives.

I think it will be great for city driving as well. With so much torque available at 2k RPM, the transmission would hardly need to downshift for anything at city speed limits. Of course, this is all assumption on my part. Would really be nice to test drive one to find out how it drives.

If someone was primarily a city driver, I'd recommend a hybrid. That's their wheelhouse. Good torque for darting, good stop/start/low speed efficiency. Plus diesels need longer and generally highway drives to clear the DPF. Mostly city driving will clog and kill one.

I do primarily highway commuting and occasional towing (and/or road trips). A diesel is FAR more suitable to both those tasks. I'll get efficiency for commuting and torque for towing (and merging/passing etc).

If someone was primarily a city driver, I'd recommend a hybrid. That's their wheelhouse. Good torque for darting, good stop/start/low speed efficiency.

I do primarily highway commuting and occasional towing (and/or road trips). A diesel is FAR more suitable to both those tasks. I'll get efficiency for commuting and torque for towing (and merging/passing etc).
At the moment, there is no good looking affordable hybrid CUV that is also fun to drive in the city. At least none that I know of.

Then stick with gas.

Or even better, get a hatch/wagon.
Why would a diesel CX-5 not be a good option for city driving? (I mean other than the need to do the DPF regen. Which you can easily take care by going on fun drives during the weekend.)

Why would a diesel CX-5 not be a good option for city driving? (I mean other than the need to do the DPF regen. Which you can easily take care by going on fun drives during the weekend.)

Diesels are most efficient while performing consistent, low rpm highway driving (and things like towing etc). They lose a large chunk of their efficiency advantage in stop and go (where hybrids thrive).

The DPF issue should also not be ignored. Modern diesels are not a good fit for mostly city driving.

Different tools for different tasks. You can use a hammer or an axe as a 'hammer' but I wouldn't want to try to chop or split wood with a hammer.

I am in transition from a TDI to hopefully a CX-5 diesel. The people that should NOT buy a diesel car are those that have only short drives (1 to 3 miles) to and from every day. The diesel thrives on heat and this type of driving is not optimum. A diesel taxi in the city would be fine as the engine gets up to temperature and stays that way all day.

You need to decide how your driving fits into this spectrum as a city driver.

Diesels are most efficient while performing consistent, low rpm highway driving (and things like towing etc). They lose a large chunk of their efficiency advantage in stop and go (where hybrids thrive).

The DPF issue should also not be ignored. Modern diesels are not a good fit for mostly city driving.

Different tools for different tasks. You can use a hammer or an axe as a 'hammer' but I wouldn't want to try to chop or split wood with a hammer.
Interesting. I didn't know that. It makes sense though since in city driving, you are more than likely going to be accelerating and decelerating more often than if you were driving on the highway.

"love my diesel! 50 mpg! But then I get about 5 mpg driving around trying to find a case station with diesel.". Random comic

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back