Article about diesel

Interestingly that link mentions wear to the cam, something the early cars suffered from, but Mazda claimed there was a faulty batch to blame, now I'm not so sure.

I would be somewhat less concerned about oil dilution, but also somewhat disappointed about wasting oil. 7k miles is a pretty short oil change interval by 2017 standards.

All liquids evaporate. Petrol has a high vapor pressure at room temperature and a low boiling point range (35-200C) so it evaporates quickly, even at low temperatures. Diesel has a low vapor pressure at room temperature and higher boiling point (180-350C), so it evaporates slowly at low temperatures. But oil temperature is typically maintained at around 105-110C (just above the boiling point of water) where it does evaporate somewhat quicker. Check out the graph at the end of this brochure, it illustrates what's going on between DPF regen cycles:

http://www.deltabeam.net/sites/default/files/pdfs/D-Lube_fuel-dilution_technical-brochure_DSi_june2012.pdf

What is your experience with oil level rise?

Last edited:
It can't be that complicated, otherwise the CX-5 diesel wouldn't sell well in Japan or Australia. Being able to change oil at 7k miles is a luxury considering I have changed oil at 5k miles on all my prior cars.

Bear in mind in the UK oil changes are 12.5K miles, or I year. Unlike the US

Diesel sells well because its a great engine, its only the cut price emissions system that spoilt the longevity and reliability.

Last edited:
Bear in mind in the UK oil changes are 12.5K miles, or I year. Unlike the US

Diesel sells well because its a great engine, its only the cut price emissions system that spoilt the longevity and reliability.

Diesel sells well in the UK because the EU said, "cut your CO2 emissions", so the UK geared all road tax to CO2 emissions and guess which engine does really well from that?

Now the Government has to cut the other noxious gas emissions so, disappointed as i am, this might well be my last diesel car; I expect them to be disproportionately levied from now on.

Unfortunately we only have a bad 2.0 petrol CX-5, so it's not going to be a mazda either.

Diesel sells well in the UK because the EU said, "cut your CO2 emissions", so the UK geared all road tax to CO2 emissions and guess which engine does really well from that?

Now the Government has to cut the other noxious gas emissions so, disappointed as i am, this might well be my last diesel car; I expect them to be disproportionately levied from now on.

Unfortunately we only have a bad 2.0 petrol CX-5, so it's not going to be a mazda either.

Now that you're leaving the EU, maybe some if that BS might not happen? Or have the enviro-extremists got your Govt by the short and curlies too?

Last edited:
FWIW I currently own a diesel model and there are so many horror stories around that I won't own it without a Mazda warranty. Mine had only done 6k miles since it's last service (the service intervals are 12500 miles here) when the oil pressure warning came on and it went to Mazda where they changed the oil & filter and updated the software. For me it doesn't instill much confidence of what's going to happen in 5900 miles from now.

Agree with your post re the oil dilution and not owning a mazda diesel out of warranty.

My dilution is at the moment less than the 2013 car i had, but still there at just over 8K miles from new, around a 4mm rise, problem is i have no idea if the engine has burnt any oil, which can happen on any engine, so the dilution could be worst than first appears.

At least you had the low oil pressure come up to warn you, hopefully no lasting damage has been done.

My oil level was 2-3mm above the high mark (not the X mark) when I bought the car, and it stayed approx the same level during my 4 months (4.5k miles) of ownership when the oil light problem arose. I agree about oil dilution potentially being worse than a dipstick can tell you - was my lack of oil pressure due to oil dilution, or oil contamination from camshaft swarf clogging the strainer (supposedly fixed prior to my model VIN number), or even something as trivial as a faulty pressure sensor?
Hopefully, as you say, no lasting damage has been done - but if it has then it should be on Mazda UK to pick up the repair bill.

Did it only happen once? How long have you owned the car?

I understand the fuel gets into the oil sump during the DPF regeneration cycle, and if DPF regeneration occurs infrequently the fuel will evaporate or flash off. But if your normal driving pattern consists of frequent short trips, in which the DPF doesn't have a chance to heat up to its self-cleaning temperature, then the regeneration cycle will kick in more frequently resulting in higher fuel consumption and more fuel contamination of the oil. The software change modified the control scheme for DPF regeneration, but I don't know specifically how.

I also know that the problem depends on the amount of biodiesel in the fuel blend. Biodiesel has a higher boiling point, flash point, and lower vapor pressure than petroleum diesel, so when it gets into the oiling system it won't evaporate or flash off. So if you're filling your vehicle with higher biodiesel blends, expect to see oil levels rising faster.

I've owned it 4 months (4k miles) and only had the problem once. My daily commute is 10 mins at around 50mph, then 15 mins at 70mph, then 5 mins at 30mph. Regens happened around every 150 miles, irrespective of whether the engine is above 2k revs or not (my previously owned 2015 Mazda 6 diesel was the same). After the software update it did a regen after the first 50 (or so) miles but I haven't noticed it doing another one in the subsequent 200 miles I've covered.
I buy diesel from a reputable BP garage, and every third tank I buy the premium grade. Sorry I don't know what biodiesel content either has (if any), but I don't see evaporation within the sump having any drastic effect from one fuel to the other.

If doing oil changes at every 7k miles would you have "less" concerns about the oil rise?

I don't seem to have any oil rise problems according to the dipstick, but yes I'd probably have less concerns of the low pressure warning (for whatever reason it came on).

However, in the UK we can't do servicing ourselves if we want to keep the new car waranty intact - it needs to be done by a bone-fide (VAT registered) garage. I enquired at Mazda how much it would be to have an interim oil change I was told "oh it can be as much as 180 Sir, the oil is expensive" ($232 according to Google). TBH I think she just made the figure up on the spot, but that's what she said. However I strongly believe if the scheduled services are 12.5k miles then we shouldn't need to get them done half way (for both inconvenience and cost).

As for the software update i believe all it did was increase the time between the timed regens.
We do have bio fuel added.

I'll monitor the new regen intervals and report back in due course.

No hassle for me as I live in an extreme environment anyways. Heat and sandstorms. I change oil and do rotations every 7k miles which for me is every 6 months. I've owned two other turbo cars in the past. Transitioning into a modern turbo diesel platform would be easy for me.

It can't be that complicated, otherwise the CX-5 diesel wouldn't sell well in Japan or Australia. Being able to change oil at 7k miles is a luxury considering I have changed oil at 5k miles on all my prior cars.

See my point above re the extra cost. It would also be a hassle for me having to take the car to the dealer twice as often as scheduled. If they state that it does 12.5k between services...then it should do just that.

This. I've never even checked the dipstick on either my 2014 or my 2017 diesel. Never had a single issue with either one. I put in fuel and go. Every six to eight months I brought the 2014 in after it's initial one month check up. I brought the 2017 in for it's one month check up last monday. It was fine, I don't expect to see the dealer again until roughly December. I've never heard of anyone with any issues with the diesel engine (other than some complainers on this forum) and there are many on the road here in Japan, especially in my area of Japan. There are no complications with owning a new Mazda diesel, unless you got the rare lemon (which I don't doubt exist).

Yeah, just came to post this article:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170510/OEM04/170519977/mazda-sets-bar-high-for-diesel-powered-cx-5

That's disappointing. I would prefer the mid level (GS in Canada) with the diesel. This could be the difference between me leasing or buying one. I'd be especially frustrated to buy one only to make the diesel available in the GS (AND/OR a manual) available the 2nd or 3rd year in.

Further to this...It' really making me waffle on my decision to get the CX5 unfortunately.

I may just end up with a 3 GT at this point. I get a manual as I prefer, better mileage, sportier drive and only lose a bit of cargo space and AWD.

North American car choices are pissing me off! lol

Further to this...It' really making me waffle on my decision to get the CX5 unfortunately.

I may just end up with a 3 GT at this point. I get a manual as I prefer, better mileage, sportier drive and only lose a bit of cargo space and AWD.

North American car choices are pissing me off! lol
I would advise you take the stuff that you will load on the car and test out the cargo space at the dealership before deciding on a Mazda3. The differences in cargo space between the 3 and CX-5 is quite significant in my opinion. I can lay 1 stroller "horizontally" in the back of my Speed3 and it will take up all of the floor space. Other cargo will have to be stacked on top of it. In contrast, I can put 2 strollers side by side "vertically" in the back of our CX-5 and there's tons more rooms to stack stuff on top of it.

I would advise you take the stuff that you will load on the car and test out the cargo space at the dealership before deciding on a Mazda3. The differences in cargo space between the 3 and CX-5 is quite significant in my opinion. I can lay 1 stroller "horizontally" in the back of my Speed3 and it will take up all of the floor space. Other cargo will have to be stacked on top of it. In contrast, I can put 2 strollers side by side "vertically" in the back of our CX-5 and there's tons more rooms to stack stuff on top of it.

Yeah, The CX5 will certainly have more cargo space due to it's boxier rear. Will definitely check it out.

Is it really so much to ask for a mid level CX5 diesel with a stick? *sigh*

I'm just bummed right now that I can't actually buy the car I want where I live... Sucks wanting to drive a 'unicorn'.

Back