are these "adjustment items?"

piotrek91

:
2013 CX-5 6MT
Update: All repairs will be covered as "good will", but I'll still owe the diagnostic fee.

Hi everyone,

I came here to vent my frustration with the dealer and to see what you guys think..

I dropped my car off at the dealer today to have him address a number of issues before my 36,000 mi bumper-to-bumper warranty runs out. And I an not happy with what they told me over the phone.

Here are the issues:
1. Vibrating mirror (TSB, dealer will order parts)
2. Creak/squeak when going up driveway at an angle (TSB, dealer will fix)
3. Drivers seat lowering itself over time (TSB, dealer will order parts and fix)

4. Clutch pedal has 1.5"+ of free play (dealer says it's an adjustment item.. will not fix under warranty)
5. Air blowing out of foot vents with only the dash vents enabled (dealer says it's an "adjustment item".. will not fix under warranty)
6. Squeaky shift linkages (squeak when shifting into reverse and 5th) (dealer says it's a wear item.. will not fix under warranty)
7. Squeaky/sticky slave cylinder.. dealer says he can't replicate the problem despite a video I gave him clearly showing the issue
8. Squeaky drivers side door lock actuator.. dealer says it's normal.

Dealer wants $535 for labor to "adjust" the clutch pedal (which has no adjustment on the CX-5), "adjust" the air vent knob (which also doesn't look like it has any adjustment) and lube the shift linkages (which should have been lubed at the freaking factory)

I stupidly agreed to a $95 diagnostic charge when dropping the car off for the clutch related issues because I was certain it would get covered under warranty anyway.

I contacted Mazda USA. They gave me a case number and said that they would call the dealer to discuss the issues.

Last edited:
The clutch pedal is adjustable (I'm assuming here it's like any other Mazda clutch) and it's easy to do yourself if you're so inclined. The adjusting nuts are on the clutch pedal rod under the dash. There are two counter-rotating lock nuts and you simple adjust the nuts until you get the desired (1/2") of free play and then lock them up.

The clutch pedal is adjustable (I'm assuming here it's like any other Mazda clutch) and it's easy to do yourself if you're so inclined. The adjusting nuts are on the clutch pedal rod under the dash. There are two counter-rotating lock nuts and you simple adjust the nuts until you get the desired (1/2") of free play and then lock them up.

I've seen threads about other Mazda's and clutch adjustments, but on the CX-5 the FSM says to simply replace the clutch pedal if the freeplay is out of spec.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping that Mazda customer care will side with me on these issues.

Well, when they say adjustment, they are referring to the 12000mi adjustment period. I need to have a behind the dash squeak and a squeak/whooshing sound when my blinker mechanism disengages.

All of the repairs will be covered as "good will"
I'll still owe the $95 diagnostic fee, even-though they really didn't diagnose anything.

The nearest other dealer isn't very far.. but unfortunately I really don't think they would be any better.

Last edited:
Since those are "adjustment" items, sounds like a great compromise to me.

WOW you really got a good deal. Most "adjustments" are free for 12/12K. Mazda did you a real favor. Ed

I had issues with the dealer next to me, from where I have purchased my car(Monrovia) and I had a very good experience, with another dealer from Glendale.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is my first new car, so I don't have much experience knowing what should and what should not be covered under warranty.

Looks like most (all?) of you guys are agreeing with the dealer about the issues being "adjustment" items.
You guys are probably right, and I'm lucky that Mazda is going to cover them for me.
Had I known this information before I would have simply done the Air vent adjustment, and lubricated the slave cylinder/release fork myself instead of paying the stupid $95 diagnostic fee (I still don't know what they actually diagnosed).
However, until I see it with my own eyes I won't believe that, short of putting a spacer on the end of the master or slave cylinder, that the clutch free play on this car is something that can simply be "adjusted".

Currently I'm waiting on the dealer to get parts for the TSB's before I come in to get the other concerns addressed, and I'll update this thread once I see the repairs :)

Back