Mazda (CX-5) TSB: AC Poor Performance due to defective Outside Temp Sensor

:
ASH8
This applies to cars with FULL Automatic AC (Air Conditioning) Only.

Mazda in North America has released a bulletin to all Mazda Dealers informing them of an issue with owners complaining of poor AC performance which has actually been around for sometime on multiple models over many years.

The small external Sensor located behind Front Bumper can be out by as much as 50 degrees Fahrenheit or 10 degrees Celsius (under reading) meaning Temperatures outside of car are physically way hotter than what the instrument reading (from Sensor) says it is resulting in the cars AC's not cooling down inside cabin as it should.

Personally I know many owners who have had issues with Mazda's poor AC performance, I trust this finally fixes the problem.

The supplier of the Sensor part to Mazda has rectified the issue with their parts manufacturing process.

Bulletin now applies to Europe and UK, therefore the rest of Mazda world.
In almost all cases if Sensor is determined to be defective the Front Bumper must be removed to access and renew Sensor, also depending on the car specifications the Radar and Cruise Control Sensors etc may require Dealer to re-aim them, We suggest Dealer has adequate NEW Sensors in parts stock so rectification can be performed on the same day.

Note: Not All cars with this sensor has defective Temp Sensor units, only those found to be incorrectly reading outside ambient temperatures will be renewed while still under normal new car warranty.

This is Not a Recall.

See the .Pdf Attached. with more details.
Normal Warranty Period Applies.

Attachments

• AC Sensor.pdf
    253.5 KB · Views: 352
  • AC Sensor Europe TSB-R115-22.pdf
    700.8 KB · Views: 155
Good to know, thanks for the info.

I would think that if an owner did have a defective AAT sensor that he would be able to see the discrepancy right on the dash readout. Especially if it were off enough to cause cooling performance issues. i.e. if I'm in Florida and it 85°F and humid and I'm roasting but my AAT display shows 35°F I would know that doesn't check out.

The .pdf doesn't (to me) read like an official Mazda document (though I haven't looked up that tsb 07-002/23 that is referenced in the paper).

Yeah, thats what the TSB refers to. Variation of at least 10F or more with the fault sensors. So that should be visible on the dash Temp value.
All models listed from 2013 till Dec 2021 (not just CX5) but randomly happening. Some may not experience it.
After Dec 2021 a new sensor is used which does not have this issue.

The information in Document is OFFICIAL, for reason I cant get into some may see other info from other sources in other formats.
The EU version of TSB also now applies to Europe, see 'official' TSB.

Just note that the text "50 degrees Fahrenheit or 10 degrees Celsius (under reading)" is somewhat incorrect. A difference of 10 deg C is actually equivalent to a difference of just 18 degrees F. So, for those in the States, don't assume that 50 degrees outside would have to display as 0 degrees on the dash for your sensor to be bad! :)

Yeah, thats what the TSB refers to. Variation of at least 10F or more with the fault sensors. So that should be visible on the dash Temp value.
All models listed from 2013 till Dec 2021 (not just CX5) but randomly happening. Some may not experience it.
After Dec 2021 a new sensor is used which does not have this issue.
According to the TSB 2017-2023 CX-5s are included so it didn't stop with the 21 model year. Also the '23 CX-50.

OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE IS DISPLAYED LOWER THAN ACTUAL TEMPERATURE,
RESULT IN CABIN AC DOES NOT WORK SUFFICIENTLY AS IT SHOULD.
Applies to the Following Mazda’s with FULL AUTO AC (Air Conditioning) ONLY.
2014-2023 Mazda3
2016-2022 Mazda2 (PR/Mexico spec)
2016-2021 CX-3
2016-2022 CX-9
2016-2022 MX-5
2017-2021 Mazda6
2017-2023 CX-5
2022-2023 CX-30
2022 MX-30
2023 CX-50

So, if you don't have a Full automatic A/C (climate control) then there's no issue? Mine is stuck at 59 F, with a plain Jane a/c system.

So, if you don't have a Full automatic A/C (climate control) then there's no issue? Mine is stuck at 59 F, with a plain Jane a/c system.
Yes, the basic HVAC system is all mechanical, nothing to do with any temperature sensors.

Back