Confusing battery test results, any experts?

RE: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Touring (under 10,000 miles)

I took my CX-5 to a local shop for an oil change and inspection. They reported back that my battery tested bad, but they pointed out that the replacement should be covered under my Mazda warranty. The technician reported "battery failed testing - voltage before 9.6 on Load Test." See attached for picture of test results.

Before heading over to the dealer, I called the Mazda dealer. I read them the report from the local shop. The Mazda dealer asked if I had noticed any battery related issues, which I had not. He said that sounds like a bad test. I would notice if my battery was that bad.

So, I headed off to Advanced Auto for another test. The technician there said that the battery tested good, but it is low. He said it was about 80%, most likely due to the car sitting and/or only taking short rides. He suggested either buying a trickle charger or taking the car on a long ride.

I contacted the local shop again. The technician there is adamant that the battery is bad. I don't want to replace a good battery, especially when it sounds like the dealer will not replace it under warranty. I am not well verse in cars, so I thought I would ask you all. Replace the battery or not?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Mazda Battery Test.jpg
    Mazda Battery Test.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 135
Side note, neither the local shop or Advanced Auto wanted to sell me a battery. So, I don't think either person is intentionally trying to mislead me. There isn't any incentive for them to do so.

I just need to figure out if my battery is good or not.

My guess is that the shop that said the battery was bad messed up the test. Ask them to do the test again, if they will test it for free. Does the starter motor turn the engine fast when you hit the start button, or does it turn over slowly?

If you are handy, you can get a battery tester and test your battery yourself. I use this one. It is a great tool to own.
Load Tester

I had gotten a computerized battery tester but it didn't test the battery very good, I returned it.

My guess is that the shop that said the battery was bad messed up the test. Ask them to do the test again, if they will test it for free. Does the starter motor turn the engine fast when you hit the start button, or does it turn over slowly?
It seems normal to me. Never noticed any issues.

When you get used to load testing, one can test a batter not fully charged and still know if it is good or bad, from the starting voltage, how it it holds the amps during the load, and how fast the no load voltage comes back. Only hold the load button for 4 or 5 seconds, holding it too long isn't good for the battery.

When you get used to load testing, one can test a batter not fully charged and still know if it is good or bad, from the starting voltage, how it it holds the amps during the load, and how fast the no load voltage comes back. Only hold the load button for 4 or 5 seconds, holding it too long isn't good for the battery.
If the battery is only at 80% charge, could it mistakenly read as bad on the local shops computer?

I took my CX-5 to a local shop for an oil change and inspection. They reported back that my battery tested bad, but they pointed out that the replacement should be covered under my Mazda warranty. The technician reported "battery failed testing - voltage before 9.6 on Load Test." See attached for picture of test results.

Before heading over to the dealer, I called the Mazda dealer. I read them the report from the local shop. The Mazda dealer asked if I had noticed any battery related issues, which I had not. He said that sounds like a bad test. I would notice if my battery was that bad.

So, I headed off to Advanced Auto for another test. The technician there said that the battery tested good, but it is low. He said it was about 80%, most likely due to the car sitting and/or only taking short rides. He suggested either buying a trickle charger or taking the car on a long ride.

I contacted the local shop again. The technician there is adamant that the battery is bad. I don't want to replace a good battery, especially when it sounds like the dealer will not replace it under warranty. I am not well verse in cars, so I thought I would ask you all. Replace the battery or not?

Thanks in advance.
If you have no sign of difficulty of engine starting, or problem of EPB releasing, I’d say the battery is fine. If you have time, you can stop by the Mazda dealer for a battery check up, and they should replace the factory Panasonic battery if the test result is bad. Do ask for a print out or something for you to see if the battery test is good or bad.

Based on the Mazda New Vehicle Warranty booklet, the factory battery is covered in full 3-year / 36,000-mile new vehicle warranty. Which means factory battery should be replaced for free during the warranty period if it’s not up to the performance standard.

If I were you I’d wait until the winter time and see if the battery is having any sign of weakness mentioned before, as long as the vehicle is still having the new car warranty coverage by that time.

I took my CX-5 to a local shop for an oil change and inspection. They reported back that my battery tested bad, but they pointed out that the replacement should be covered under my Mazda warranty.
At least they didn't try to sell you a new battery.
The technician reported "battery failed testing - voltage before 9.6 on Load Test." See attached for picture of test results.
Voltage 9.6 before the load test? That can't be right.
You show a photo after the (first) load test with the voltage at 12.34 Volts

Agree
9.6 volts and you wouldn't have even started the car.
Most likely the battery hadn't re-charged/recovered after that recent load test.
I contacted the local shop again. The technician there is adamant that the battery is bad.
But yet you started it up and drove it away without any issues...

I don't want to replace a good battery, especially when it sounds like the dealer will not replace it under warranty. I am not well verse in cars, so I thought I would ask you all. Replace the battery or not?

Thanks in advance.
Agree with others to get it back up to a full charge (resting charge at 12.6V or so with a voltmeter) keep an eye on your voltage gauge if you have one and maybe a battery tender/trickle charger as mentioned earlier especially if the car sits for long periods of time.

If later on you start getting slower starter motor/engine cranking/no-cranking/solenoid clicking, 9 times out of 10 it will be from dirty battery connections.

But before replacing parts, here is a good video to refer to test and replace a battery without losing your radio presets, security system, and engine computer programs.

Chris Fix - How to Test and Replace a Bad Car Battery (COMPLETE Ultimate Guide)

I hope this helps...

Definitely try a modern battery maintainer/charger/restorer. They can really help.

Man, we sure do like to complicate things on this site. Multiple visits and calls to shops, dealers, AutoZone, people saying to buy a load tester and trickle charger, etc. Just take it to the dealer for them to hook it up to the battery/charging system tester and be done with it. Worst case, you get a new battery under warranty

Side note, neither the local shop or Advanced Auto wanted to sell me a battery. So, I don't think either person is intentionally trying to mislead me. There isn't any incentive for them to do so.

I just need to figure out if my battery is good or not.
No. You don't need to figure out if battery is good. Mazda dealer needs to figure it out. I've been through a similar experience with battery weak from car not being used much. Local mechanic claimed battery was bad. I called Mazda and they said they would replace the battery under warranty only if they tested it and it was bad. Took it in and dealer showed me test results that the battery was still good - just needed charging. Just take it to the dealer.

What I am shocked about is hearing that professional mechanics diagnose a good battery as being bad. Testing a battery to see its state and if it is bad is one of the easiest things one can do. I am a DIY, I have a marine battery, multiple tractor batteries, a jump batter etc thus it is natural for me to think everyone should have the battery tester. It is more practical for the average person to just go to the dealership and have them test the battery. If it tests good I would stop at the mechanic's and show them the report and tell them that their battery testing device is broken.

Thank you all for your input. VERY helpful.

One more question, how can I know that my battery is at a full charge? I can drive it on the highway for 30+ minutes, but is there a way to be certain that it is at full charge? What device would I use?

Man, we sure do like to complicate things on this site. Multiple visits and calls to shops, dealers, AutoZone, people saying to buy a load tester and trickle charger, etc. Just take it to the dealer for them to hook it up to the battery/charging system tester and be done with it. Worst case, you get a new battery under warranty
Dealers will often charge you to test almost anything. If the part is bad and under warranty they will most likely cancel the charge. However, be prepared to spend a good chunk of change if the part is good. I learned that the hard way.

So it's best to try to determine if the battery is bad before taking it to the dealership.

Back