AP: Why I should, Why I shouldnt?

I've heard that too, but when you first install it, you 'flash' it, then I don't believe switching maps is the same as flashing in the eyes of the ECU.

I think every map change constitutes as a flash seeing that what the AP does is re-write data to the ECU to make the map change possible.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. With that said, I don't think there's a "hard" number of flashes any particular ECU can take before it won't take any more so YMMV on this one.

I can only say I think you are right, what else is it doing if not flashing the ECU everytime it tunes it... It is not a stand alone that is taking the place of the ECU.

"Stage1+SF 93 " What does the "SF" in this map stand for? (Yeah, I'm a noob).
Also, I am getting more boost cut than I would like to tollerate. I'm running the Stage 1 MSCAI 93 map. Do you guys think I might get less cut running 91 octane map? Also, if I run 91 map and put in an occasonal 93 is that a problem?

Thanks a ton!

"Stage1+SF 93 " What does the "SF" in this map stand for? (Yeah, I'm a noob).
Also, I am getting more boost cut than I would like to tollerate. I'm running the Stage 1 MSCAI 93 map. Do you guys think I might get less cut running 91 octane map? Also, if I run 91 map and put in an occasonal 93 is that a problem?

Thanks a ton!

when they say SF they mean the COBB SF intake

when they say MSCAI im sure you can figure that one but if not, the Mazdaspeed CAI

and as stated before my post, higher octane good, lower octane bad

For the purposes of the AP, does the AEM CAI with straightener count as the MSCAI?

I believe so. The original MSCAI were restamped AEMs. I bought one of the very first CAIs back in Jan 07 and actually got two AEM stickers in my box haha.

Is it worth getting if I only plan to add the MSCAI to my car?

Also, I heard that you NEED to use this to get rid of the problem that people have with the MSCAI (not sure about other intakes) where it stutters in 6th gear under load. Is that true?

I heard a rumor that our ECU's could only take 100 flashes in a life time. Anyone find that to be true?

All read on memory devices have a limit to the amount of times they can be written. Once this is reached there is a chance that the data being written can be corrupted. So I'm sure there is a limit but 100 seems kinda low to me

There are a multitude of people who have flashed their ECUs 100s of times. While I'm sure there is a limit to the number of times it can be done, I don't think anyone in the MZR DISI world has reached that limit yet.

I heard a rumor that our ECU's could only take 100 flashes in a life time. Anyone find that to be true?

This was a rumour in the Subaru community a few years ago. However, this appears to be just a rumour, and it also seems like it has jumped hosts!

There are Subaru ECUs out there with over 300 flashes on them and do not seem to be any the worse for wear.

Travis
COBB Tuning

The ECU uses standard flash memory, the kind used in a camera's memory card, and has an endurance of at least 100,000 rewrite cycles. You could rewrite your maps ten times a day for 30 years.

Romping on it immediately after an AP flash isn't a good idea. I always go easy on it for the first 150 kms. or so (about 100 miles) before I even consider digging into the throttle much and even then, I get on it slowly for a couple of more days before I go balls to the wall. But I admit, it's really hard to resist not going WOT even for a few days in this car!

From my experience, the most aggressive map I've tried was the Stage1+SF 93 octane v1.03. This map made my car feel like a dog in heat - spikes to 22/23 PSI and holds 18-19 PSI and subsequently got me into boost cut territory and increased KR which I didn't like. I'm currently on the Stage1+SF 91 octane map and things have calmed down a bit, I'm still seeing 21-22 PSI peaks and hold 17-18 PSI with the rare boost cut once in a while but KR is being held in check. Will be getting it road tuned probably in a couple of weeks and hope to see good results.

i was thinking about running the 93 stage1+SF was this map to aggressive?, and is there a big difference from the 93 to 91 and do you no if its ok to run 93 on a 91 map because were i live its ether 89 or 93 no 91 any were really

You can certainly run 93 on the 91 map.

Pretty much all cars that require Premium fuel from the factory are tuned to run on 91 anyway. (dunno)

Back