Anyone try Michelin Pilot Sport tires?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
Next summer I’ll need new summer tires (or sporty all-seasons). I wondered if the Michelin Pilot Sport would be a good complement to the handling of my 2019 Signature?

I think I would go for something a bit more comfortable and longer lasting for a summer tread on these sort of cars.

The differential in particular, then the suspension seems to be holding back the handling on my "6" more than the chinese crappy winter tires I have on it.

I have experience with PSS 3's on a RWD BMW. The tread life was horrible, which made for dangerous handling behavior on cold, slick roads. Otherwise, the tires were phenomenal performance wise.

A friend of mine had older Pilot Sport's on his first gen 6. They are a smooth and comfortable tire with good performance. I would just prefer better tread life on cars like these.

You may want to look at a high performance all season tire. The tread life will be much better and the rubber will handle colder temperatures.

You may want to look at a high performance all season tire. The tread life will be much better and the rubber will handle colder temperatures.
I was actually thinking of the Pilot Sport all-season. I would still switch to my Nokian winter tires though for the worst months.

I ran Pilot Sport AS3's years ago on my '12 Mazda3. Great handling 3-season tire but they wore out sooner than Michelin's 50,000 mile estimate.

Next summer I’ll need new summer tires (or sporty all-seasons). I wondered if the Michelin Pilot Sport would be a good complement to the handling of my 2019 Signature?
Never on my CX5. Currently on my MX5. Nearly everything about them is superior. What's not? Noise. They are quieter than some other performance tyres but I usually drive top-down, and the Miata is by nature a loud ride. Wear. The company makes tyres both cheaper AND longer lasting, but nothing with this level of performance. You will be replacing them sooner. Ride. Better than OEM and Falken, but harsh by touring standards. To get all of the handling benefits that the Pilot offers you will have to give something up. You will need to decide if the balance works for you. I won't put anything else on my Miata, but won't have them on my CX5. It rides on Premier XLTs.

Brian

I run the Continental equivalent, which are the ExtremeContact DWS06, on OEM Mazda 18" wheels. I find them to be perfect, excellent wet and dry grip, quiet, comfortable. Highly recommended.

I ended up with the firestine destination LE3 that have a 70k mile warranty. Put on over the weekend. They seem quiet and a bit less responsive than the A36s. But I also got them in 255/50/19. They are an H rated tire though instead of a V rated (lower max speed rating, less stiff sidewall, longer tread wear, soft ride, and due to width They maybe less efficient). They also don't look as squared off probably cause of the size to rim ratio, but they are M+S rated and have a higher load than stock. Also have rebates etc right now.

I also hear good things about the falken wild peaks if you need a 3 season but would need to go up to a 235/55/19. That's a higher percentage off than 255/50/19 though or even 245/50/19. But those also look nice imho. Closer to an off road tire.

I can post a picture in a bit if you like and good luck no matter which way you go

We just recently put a set of Continental ProContact (brand new takeoffs from a Bronco Sport we got a killing on) on my wife's CX-5 and they're smoother and quieter than the Kumho Solus we had on it before.

But to answer your question I don't have experience with Pilot Sport tires but also I've never had a single complaint about any Michelin I've used. I have Michelin Defenders on my Expedition and had Michelin Pilot Exalto on an old Mazda 3 I used to have and both sets have been nothing short of wonderful in the ride, handling, and wear departments.

Just put the pilot all season 4's on today. It was a toss up between the michelins (225/55/19) and the continental DWS (235/55/19). I mostly chose the michelins from the amazing reviews I've read, and to keep the factory sizing. On my previous car (modified Audi A4) I always went with Cooper Zeon RS3's, which were recently discontinued in the CX5 factory sizing :(. I loved those tires.

Side note: I was contemplating the summer-only PS4/5's. But between tread wear, and the ever changing weather in my region, I didn't want to be stuck with summer tires in the snow/cold/rain in the spring/fall seasons.

For the record I went stock toyos (which we all know are s***) to Vredstein snow tires (for winter) back to Toyos (as they still had life), Vredsteins (for winter and threw away the toyos), now the PSAS4's.

The 5 miles I've driven it home from the shop revealed a night and day difference. Much, much, much more responsive tire. Note that I haven't pushed them yet.

I was a bit apprehensive as the oem sidewall height may produce a softer ride and less direct turn-in. But, the ride is surprisingly a bit firmer. (note I'm on CS springs + bilstein shocks + RSB ready to be installed soon).

Finally - why modify a CX5 for handling? Just because I have a crossover doesn't mean it can't be fun to drive. I felt that the CX5 in stock form was a good handling car with a lot of potential, with some slight modification it can be even better/safer to take turns. Why not get a 3? Because they're tiny!

Just put the pilot all season 4's on today. It was a toss up between the michelins (225/55/19) and the continental DWS (235/55/19). I mostly chose the michelins from the amazing reviews I've read, and to keep the factory sizing. On my previous car (modified Audi A4) I always went with Cooper Zeon RS3's, which were recently discontinued in the CX5 factory sizing :(. I loved those tires.

Side note: I was contemplating the summer-only PS4/5's. But between tread wear, and the ever changing weather in my region, I didn't want to be stuck with summer tires in the snow/cold/rain in the spring/fall seasons.

For the record I went stock toyos (which we all know are s***) to Vredstein snow tires (for winter) back to Toyos (as they still had life), Vredsteins (for winter and threw away the toyos), now the PSAS4's.

The 5 miles I've driven it home from the shop revealed a night and day difference. Much, much, much more responsive tire. Note that I haven't pushed them yet.

I was a bit apprehensive as the oem sidewall height may produce a softer ride and less direct turn-in. But, the ride is surprisingly a bit firmer. (note I'm on CS springs + bilstein shocks + RSB ready to be installed soon).

Finally - why modify a CX5 for handling? Just because I have a crossover doesn't mean it can't be fun to drive. I felt that the CX5 in stock form was a good handling car with a lot of potential, with some slight modification it can be even better/safer to take turns. Why not get a 3? Because they're tiny!
I agree with your reasoning for improving the CX-5's driving and handling, but this thread was about the Pilot Sport, not the Pilot Sport A/S.

Let us know how you get on with them.

Very good choice. I removed the Pirelii Scorpion 3 AS (which are still good but not my choice) and put the same Michelin. Its like the Toyo (the good part of it) on steroids :) Excellent tire. bit on the firm side but right tire for the Turbo. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AS has a grip like no other all season tire I have ever driven.

ps The original poster was asking for those tires, not the summer Pilot sport.

Any more comments or experience with the Pilot sport 4 A/S? Have to make decision soon.

I'll jump in the fray here. My Mazda still wears the OEM rubber as it rarely gets driven (not the vehicles fault- I love it). When I do replace them I plan to try the Cross-Climate series. I also have a dedicated winter-beater with X-ICE tires, and a third three-season vehicle that wears Pilot Sport AS 4's. The Pilot Sports replaced Pilot Sport AS 3's. I am a big fan. They grip like heck and are also a very stout tire. Strong construction for bad roads when encountered. I buy tires from my indy shop and they have been impressed with how easy they balance and the construction. I highly doubt you will be disappointed with the AS 4's as long as you keep putting the Nokians on for winter.

Still loving the pilot spot all seasons. They're a night and day difference from the stock tires. I've had them in light (couple inches) snow, wet, and dry... They're definitely one of the best all around tires I've had. In regard to handling, they are the best I've ever had.

I sometimes push the car pretty hard, I have yet to have them lose grip in the wet or dry. They have never (yet) squealed or made noises when pushed.

Note that I have CS springs, Bilstein Shocks, autoexe strut bar, and a (not yet installed) hard race rear sway bar. So the ability to 'enjoy the drive' is priority to me.

The only downside some may find, is that they're not a cushy comfort tire. They're stiffer, and make the ride a bit firmer.

Another note, I will still be using the vredstein winter tires for the winter months.

Teddy Mac. I was hoping you would update here.
I don’t have your suspension upgrades but I try to make the most of my CX-5 here on the twisty back roads of Vancouver Island.

I was also thinking about it after I posted, the tires ability is greater than the cars, which is a good thing.

With the modified suspension, the tires have revealed that the CS spring rates are a bit soft for 'real' spirited driving.

On stock suspension, the tires will still benefit the driving satisfaction. Just be aware, there won't be squealing tires to forewarn the limits, if that makes sense.

Stock differential, AWD system, suspension will handily bottle neck performance tires. Balance tire choice to performance of your suspension and stock open diff.

Back