Any turbos/supers for 2012 Mazda3 2.5L?

It seems the O2 receptors on the San diego vehicles can be misled with the AEM F/IC but not the government ones. At least not yet. Creates it a LOT more complicated to effectively track.. . .

This appears to be sorted and FED cars can be tuned. Have been able to do it on my 5, federal emissions. Same air fuel sensor used on the 3.

So there was the brief flame war for a guy who wants to turbo his 2.5, instead of buying a MS3. Not unexpected, and not a totally unreasonable suggestion.

But what about the guy like me, who has a mz5, doesn't have a MS option, but wants to make some more HP? I'm trying to research parts options and availability, and it would be nice if there was more actual info about adding FI to the NA motors, instead of the "just buy a ms3" rhetoric... (dunno)

Anyone care to point me in the right direction for turbo parts for the 2.5? I plan to build my own, not buy a kit like tripoint, fwiw.

The nice thing about a kit like Tri-Point's is that nearly everything you will need to even get the engine started afterward is in the kit. Together, it will be much cheaper, even at $4,199.99 (manual trans only) than trying to find parts that will work together. There's really no way around the expense. Not to mention the unforeseeable extra problems that will arise that you will have to throw more money at to get it to run right and be reliable. That will include dyno tuning as well. If you have advanced mechanical experience and have done extensive modifications before, then you might have a chance to be successful turbo'ing your 5. Not many people have the time, patience, or the extra money to mess with it.

For something much more attainable, the 2.5 responds well to an intake and exhaust. They might only give you 10-15hp but it feels like more than that on the butt-dyno and it sounds REALLY good. They make all the difference in the world towards your driving experience.

Last edited:
Back