Another Shifter Bushing Thread

amsgator

03.5 Protege5
:
Yellow '03 5-Speed MP5
I've got a TWM short shifter installed on my '03 P5 and noticed today there is an awful lot of side-to-side play while in gear. I've done some Google-Fu and searched the forum and everything is pointing to replacing the bushings.

The set that CorkSport sells (4) and the set that TWM sells (2) are apparently all different, with there being a total of 6 bushings. I don't think the CorkSport set fits the TWM shifter so I'm leaning towards ordering the TWM bushings, which I believe install on the transmission end of the linkage.

I'm planning on crawling under and taking a look around. Is there an easy way for me to tell which set(s) is/are bad so I know what I need to order?

Im assuming you are referring to the twm polyurethane bushings. Those are just for the shift stabilizer bar. That is not where your slop is coming from. I'd just make sure that all of your shifter joints are tight before buying anything. You can use the corksport front bushings and 3rd link kit.

I think you need these...

Check the shift linkage under the shifter for slop...

I think you need these...

Check the shift linkage under the shifter for slop...

Those are the ones I was saying don't fit the TWM shifter. I would be able to use them at the front of the linkage but not the part that attaches to the shifter itself.

Im assuming you are referring to the twm polyurethane bushings. Those are just for the shift stabilizer bar. That is not where your slop is coming from. I'd just make sure that all of your shifter joints are tight before buying anything. You can use the corksport front bushings and 3rd link kit.

I'll crawl up under and see if I can figure out where the loose spot is and check all the nuts/bolts for tightness.

I thought the TWM shifter has bearings on the bottom of the shifter, where #4 is in the last diagram posted? Make sure the bolt it torqued to spec and use the Corksport bushing on the other end of the shaft.

Anybody got Mazda part numbers for the 2 bushings at the base of the shifter? The online Mazda parts places only show automatic transaxle. I can't find them on eBay or Amazon either.

Back