Alarm issues - car got broken into - can you help?

Xcalibur

:
Mazda CX-5 - GS - AWD
Hi,

hopefully you can help. My alarm has been broken into several times. Initially, I thought I had forgotten to set the alarm, but I confirmed with the dealer that my auto re-lock feature was activated. It is. My car still got broken into. I've researched and suspect it may be because someone has a 'code grabber' and has my alarm frequency.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before?

Does anyone know how to reprogram the frequency? Mazda quoted me over $800 to replace my alarm. ahhh... no, that's not what I want to do. I just want to get a new frequency on my alarm!

thanks!

Well, you might consider getting a decent "aftermarket" alarm system installed, probably would cost around $300 - $400.

yes... looking into that. unfortunately, that means getting an additional fob.. one for the aftermarket alarm, and one for the 'keyless ignition'. in the mean time, it'd be nice to rescramble my code...

Do you have Advanced Keyless Entry button to get into your car? If so, they're probably amplifying the signal to get into your car. You can get a RFID Signal Blocking Bag for your remote to block that. Or wrap in aluminum foil.

For what it is worth - my car was broken into as well and I pay attention now to the "autolock" feature - the car will NOT lock every single time. About 1 in 40 times it does not lock. I used to notice this when coming to the car and pressing the black button on the door handle and it would lock the car. Now that I pay attention to it I know it is because it did not lock when I last got out of it.

I have not been able to recreate it for the dealer and hence they have done nothing. I am almost inclined to switch back to locking it like the "old" days but I really want the new technology to work. It's amazing to me someone broke in to my car the 1 in 40 times I didn't lock it. Anyways this has happened countless times so I know it is a flaw.

I suspect it is a break in because both of our cars git broken into the same night. No forced entry. Hence trying to figure out how to prevent this

Just protect your key fob. It's not a disaster in your country, blocking your fob will be enough. Can't say the same about mine. But... we have a lot of decent aftermarket anti-theft systems.

Thought Americans don't lock their cars. Ok don't flame me but that is what is commonly depicted in the movies that we watch out here.

Thought Americans don't lock their cars. Ok don't flame me but that is what is commonly depicted in the movies that we watch out here.

Depends what part of the country you live in. If you're in the city you better lock your car and remove all valuables. Rural areas not so much.

For what it is worth - my car was broken into as well and I pay attention now to the "autolock" feature - the car will NOT lock every single time. About 1 in 40 times it does not lock. I used to notice this when coming to the car and pressing the black button on the door handle and it would lock the car. Now that I pay attention to it I know it is because it did not lock when I last got out of it.

I have not been able to recreate it for the dealer and hence they have done nothing. I am almost inclined to switch back to locking it like the "old" days but I really want the new technology to work. It's amazing to me someone broke in to my car the 1 in 40 times I didn't lock it. Anyways this has happened countless times so I know it is a flaw.

I find that you must be close to the car when the last door closes and beeps, then when you walk away it beeps, locks and flashes mirror light. If you are already away, out of range when the last door closes (from a passenger) then it does not get the walk away signal and does not lock/flash/beep. This is repeatable.

I am the only person in the car - it does have something to do with where I am standing when the door closes - but sheesh it is me and a key in my pocket and no the pocket is not lined with lead or tin foil.

I've tried rushing away and can't repeat it. It is glitchy and not dependable - it has happened at least a dozen times since March when the B&E happened.

Just press lock on the door button when you get out which is what I did on my 2013 that did not have the fancy lock system.

Of course or press the lock button on the fob which I did for 12 years with my previous vehicle - or go around and manually press the lock switches on each door which we did before any electronics. If there is a feature it should work or be repaired if it doesn't work. There are always workarounds but that shouldn't be required. It was one of the little neat features I was excited about when getting a new vehicle.

Separate from that, is the PITA of someone breaking into what you thought was a locked car. If I didn't lock my car I would roll with whatever happens - or if they smashed a window I would've felt better but technology let me down and Mazda wears that. Such an amazingly fun car to drive that but for me it is all the poorly integrated tech that disappoints.

Saying all this, I would still get another one if mine was stolen today.

I develop automation for a living and am still wary of the auto locking feature with the Advanced Keyless Entry system. I haven't had an instance where it doesn't beep as I walk away, but I still hit lock twice on the key fob to trigger the horn out of habit.

Technology and new advancements are amazing, but there will still be flaws. That honking of the horn at least provides some peace of mind.

Its pretty easy to prevent break ins or at least reduce them. Don't leave ANYTHING in the car... not even change or charging cables...

Perhaps place a sign on the window that reads.

"There are no valuables in this car. If you are reading this message smile. You're being recorded live on the Internet".

Last part is fake of course.

Back