Airbag Light issue. Dealer has "no clue"

Makes perfect sense, exact same thing happened to me. Got rear ended to where the rear door was completely damaged and set off the airbag light to a constant flash even though they didn't deploy. They had to do a "recalibration" of the system. Anyway, that was 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

Did any fuel spill during your rear end accident? Do you recall how full your tank was?

I'm not familiar with Carfax and Autocheck (when I buy used cars I do my own investigation/inspection) but I thought these services existed to disclose previous accidents/major repairs? If so, it sounds like you have a good case. Did you ask the dealership about the cars history? They are required to disclose (but only if you ask).

Good luck! The last thing I would want is a car that had been crashed and repaired. Most problems with modern cars are due to human error/stupidity.

Both the carfax and autocheck were clean. But I have come to learn that does not mean much. I asked repeatedly about the car's history. And they either lied or did not talk to their service reps as they were the same ones working on this car (not to repair the damage as the prior owner took it elsewhere). The owner said he is calling me later today.

Did any fuel spill during your rear end accident? Do you recall how full your tank was?
Nope, as I said in the other post I've had no problems with that. Maybe I just didn't get hit hard enough, but nothing happened regarding the current recall issue.

This is one of the reason why I've always been getting brand new cars. Carfax, Autocheck, even the CPO, can't guarantee you anything. And I also believe there is a reason why the previous owner trading in a year old car with low miles getting the worst hit on depreciation but not to keep it for several more years.

If I can get the dealership to take this car back, I think my next move is to just buy a new CX5. I can't go through this again.

UPDATE, for anyone reading this: Wound up reaching out to the previous car's owner (a receipt of hers was left in the car and I got her contact info). She said the car had rear ended someone, had body work done. She then began experiencing all the same issues I am having. Took it into the same dealership I bought it from multiple times, including once for a month. So, there ya go. I trusted the CPO process and none of this was disclosed on carfax, autocheck and the CPO form checked boxes that said "stored trouble codes" and "checked for body damage" "met standards" - guess that doesn't mean much if you think about it. I am now working to see if the dealership will easily take this car back.
This is one of the reasons why I've always been getting brand new cars. Carfax, Autocheck, even the CPO, can't guarantee you anything. And I also believe there is a reason why the previous owner trading in a year old car with low miles getting the worst hit on depreciation but not to keep it for several more years.

It may not be related, but when my 2015 CX-5 was less than a week old I was getting the SRS light in the dash. It would go away when I turned the car off but always came back within a few minutes of driving. I had a bunch of sensor replaced to no avail. They eventually figured out that there was a problem with the wiring harness in the driver side door (?), apparently it was pinched or broken. I am not exactly sure of what exactly it was but a new wiring harness fixed the issue.

It may not be related, but when my 2015 CX-5 was less than a week old I was getting the SRS light in the dash. It would go away when I turned the car off but always came back within a few minutes of driving. I had a bunch of sensor replaced to no avail. They eventually figured out that there was a problem with the wiring harness in the driver side door (?), apparently it was pinched or broken. I am not exactly sure of what exactly it was but a new wiring harness fixed the issue.

Yeah - that's the solution Mazda tech gave the service dep't at the dealership. But as I've just learned this car was in a wreck and started having these issues after the accident and repair, and that these issues were known by the dealership without disclosure, i'm looking to void this deal. But, glad to hear they found a solution for the problem. Hopefully other people see that the wiring harness is a possible culprit for the airbag light.

Just in case anyone is following this thread with similar problems or wonders what a dealership will do in this situation. The owner called and offered to either put me in a 2016 CX5 for as close to what I paid on the preowned 2015 OR pay back my deposit, pay back the loan and personally refund the sales tax. If he follows through on these options, I will consider this a terrible error by the dealership, but an honorable resolution.

Just in case anyone is following this thread with similar problems or wonders what a dealership will do in this situation. The owner called and offered to either put me in a 2016 CX5 for as close to what I paid on the preowned 2015 OR pay back my deposit, pay back the loan and personally refund the sales tax. If he follows through on these options, I will consider this a terrible error by the dealership, but an honorable resolution.

I'm not sure he actually made you a specific offer down to the dollar. Hold his feet to the fire for specifics, tell him you want to give it back and purchase a new one but you need a rock-bottom price for your troubles (and because you hadn't originally budgeted for a brand new car). Until you have a new VIN # and a purchase/sale agreement, he hasn't made you an offer.

I'm not sure he actually made you a specific offer down to the dollar. Hold his feet to the fire for specifics, tell him you want to give it back and purchase a new one but you need a rock-bottom price for your troubles (and because you hadn't originally budgeted for a brand new car). Until you have a new VIN # and a purchase/sale agreement, he hasn't made you an offer.

Agreed man, for sure. He just called with the offer on a 2016, and it sounds good. From what I see on edmunds it's definitely below invoice.

Nope, as I said in the other post I've had no problems with that. Maybe I just didn't get hit hard enough, but nothing happened regarding the current recall issue.

I'm guessing you could get rear-ended a bunch of times without fuel spilling. I bet fuel only spilled during one specific test crash but, since the spilled amount was more than the new standards allow, Mazda felt they needed to be pro-active. And, even if some fuel did spill in a hard accident, it doesn't necessarily spill on an ignition source and ignite. And if it did ignite, an uninjured driver in reasonable physical condition could probably clear the car quickly enough to escape burns. It would take the perfect confluence of events for this to be a problem. If it did happen, it would almost certainly be a very hard freeway rear end event with the ignition source coming from another vehicle (because the CX-5 exhaust is not hot enough to act as an ignition source unless the fuel made it's way to the catalytic converter area.

Not saying it couldn't happen or at some point in the CX-5 fleets lifespan, not saying it won't happen or that it shouldn't be repaired in a timely fashion. I AM saying, it shouldn't be alarming (in the same sense that you shouldn't worry about an airliners fuel tank exploding when you board a plane (although it COULD).

Agreed man, for sure. He just called with the offer on a 2016, and it sounds good. From what I see on edmunds it's definitely below invoice.

Excellent! Of course this fuel filler recall puts a slight bump in the road because, unless Mazda Corp. changes their stance, they won't have a new car they will let you drive for at least two weeks.

Sounds like you got a win win in the end, sucks that you had to go through all of this but you get a 2016 instead!

I'm guessing you could get rear-ended a bunch of times without fuel spilling. I bet fuel only spilled during one specific test crash but, since the spilled amount was more than the new standards allow, Mazda felt they needed to be pro-active. And, even if some fuel did spill in a hard accident, it doesn't necessarily spill on an ignition source and ignite. And if it did ignite, an uninjured driver in reasonable physical condition could probably clear the car quickly enough to escape burns. It would take the perfect confluence of events for this to be a problem. If it did happen, it would almost certainly be a very hard freeway rear end event with the ignition source coming from another vehicle (because the CX-5 exhaust is not hot enough to act as an ignition source unless the fuel made it's way to the catalytic converter area.

Not saying it couldn't happen or at some point in the CX-5 fleets lifespan, not saying it won't happen or that it shouldn't be repaired in a timely fashion. I AM saying, it shouldn't be alarming (in the same sense that you shouldn't worry about an airliners fuel tank exploding when you board a plane (although it COULD).

It might not even be a crash test that uncovered this. An updated software model that calculates load paths may have found something that a previous version didn't - it's a lot easier to test various angles and forces that way than sacrificing a vehicle for each variable adjusted.

Just punched in my VIN at the Mazda site, no recalls come up for my 2014.

You're right about the igniting of the fuel. I don't know if you remember when GM had the fiasco of the Chevy pickups with the so-called explodable gas tank claim quite a few years ago (maybe 20 or so). I remember some TV show trying to demonstrate this and had a heck of a time trying to make the damn things explode on impact. You have to have a perfect storm of sorts.

Just punched in my VIN at the Mazda site, no recalls come up for my 2014.

You're right about the igniting of the fuel. I don't know if you remember when GM had the fiasco of the Chevy pickups with the so-called explodable gas tank claim quite a few years ago (maybe 20 or so). I remember some TV show trying to demonstrate this and had a heck of a time trying to make the damn things explode on impact. You have to have a perfect storm of sorts.

That was Dateline. They resorted to putting model rocket engines around the tank to start a fire.

That was Dateline. They resorted to putting model rocket engines around the tank to start a fire.

Wow! I didn't realize that was what it took. They really had a hard time with that.

Back