After 5 years I'm about to do my first mods.

Peter B

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
Well, after owning my MS3 for 5 years I have finally decided to do some upgrades. I wanted to before, but couldn't afford the cost.

First off, my suspension shocks and struts are failing. I lost a rear shock at 40k miles, replaced it, now the front right is blowm, and im starting to hear the back on clunk again. So I will be replacing them with Bilstein B8 Sports. I am keeping the stock springs for now since bottoming out where I live is a big concern. I will probably replace the strut bearings as well.

Next I think I am going to go with the Cork Sport Racing RMM. I will get both the 70, and 80 durometer urethanes to see which I like best. It seems like a good product, great reviews, and the people over at CS have been very helpful. I was also looking at the Sure RMM, but I have read about quite a few failures on a number of their products. The other one I was looking at was CP-E version. Their use of EPDM instead of urethane is interesting. However I have not been able to reach them to inquire about it. Any thoughts on this?

To improve shifting I am going to add the shifter bushings. I will probably go with CS or JBR. I'm leaning towards JBR because they are cheaper and once they are installed, I'm not going to see them so no fancy finish is needed.

I was looking at several different OCC options. The Sure one looks nice but expensive, JBR looks nice but is a little pricey and I can't tell how it drains. I think I have settled on the one offered by Damond Motorsports as it looks like the most complete kit.

My last mod (for now) will be either a CS, or JBR SRI. I like the CS version but JBR claims their filter can catch particles < 0.1 microns in size. That makes them by far the best from what I have seen. CS claims their filter catches particles as small as 1.0 microns. Maybe I am being paranoid here, but it seems that one would want the filter that catches the smallest particle possible. I emailed JBR to confirm their website is correct but have not heard back from them yet.

Anyhow that's the list. Hopefully this will make driving my MS3 a whole new experience. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

-Pete

well my favorite mod was the CS RMM insert back in 07. Amazing that wheel hop was gone when getting boosted in first or second gear,
Never got the shifter kits. I have a near solid rear motor mount now and both passeneger/transmission mounts to add vibration and harshness to the car. Also the clutch/flywheel are quite noisy at the stoplights.
I also found that the sway bars tightened the chassis vey well. the rear might be enough for most folks and the front is a pita. So a rear bar made some nice improvements in the twisties right away.
CAI or SRI are just good for the motor.

Tires might be the best mod you can do. dedicate some sticky summer tires and the car really lights up.

or you could just go big turbo and get it over with. Just a matter of time.
Best wishes brother !

Latest posts

Back