2017~2024 Adding extra custom switches/buttons

I'm looking to add in an extra button somewhere so I can hide away my garage door opener.

I've done this is all my previous cars with a range of options. In some I just added a momentary button, drilled a hole and wired it up, in others I've managed to get an OEM button (or even a custom button in my VW Golf with a garage door icon on it) and wire up to that. In those cases each button was a stand alone thing that could be swapped in/out where there was a blank plate.

Before I start, I'm in Australia (so a right hand drive vehicle), some things are inverted from models in other countries. Also, this is a CX-8, not a CX-5, but these parts at the very least should be common.
This is also the top trim level, Asaki in Australia, which might be called something different depending on where you are... the point is that there really isn't many blank buttons I can re-purpose since they are all being used for something!

From what I understand, this control panel is all in one single piece with a single connector on the back so I probably can't add something into that blank space or even just drill through it because it's more complex inside.
IMG_7139.jpg

Above the AC control panel is the heated steering wheel control, there is what looks like a blank on the other side, is there anything that goes here in any market in the world that I could find and use?

IMG_7140.jpg

Alternatively, has anyone mounted and switches anywhere else in their vehicle for any other reasons I could consider?

So while driving (since posting) I looked up and saw the console above my head. Two screws later and it pops off with lots of nice empty space to place with.
1 x 12mm (0.47") momentary button from the local electronics shop and a little soldering and I've mounted the button and receiver neatly into that console where it won't go anywhere and with a little foam won't rattle.

The only down side is that to change the battery you have to pull the panel back off, but once every couple of years is worth the neatness. If you were really keen you could get a buck converter and hard wire it, but given how long batteries last, this is more than fine. In 20 years I've not had one leak or go bad even in the Australian summer sun.

I did look at the dash panels and they seem to be a little more complicated to pull apart and means routing wires further than I really wanted to so this seems to be the better option. Easy enough to replace that one panel from the wreckers if I never need to, but I've sold every car so far with that button in place and told people what it's for and they loved the idea.

The photo doesn't quite do it justice, in reality it's quite flush, although I will keep an eye out for a more flush button, ideally mostly recessed... but let's face it, until the battery dies I'm never going to open that panel again :p

IMG_7161-604x806.jpg

When you have a passenger, them them "Whatever you do, don't push that red button!"

I'm looking to add in an extra button somewhere so I can hide away my garage door opener.
In US, we have Homelink buttons (3) built into the auto-dimming rearview mirror on CX-5, which can be programmed to replace the garage door opener.

In US, we have Homelink buttons (3) built into the auto-dimming rearview mirror on CX-5, which can be programmed to replace the garage door opener.

I randomly stumbled across dashcam adaptors that tap power off the back of the rear view mirror and noticed those buttons and didn't know what they did... and no we don't get those in Australia. We also don't get the 10pin plug to tap power at that point either :(

I randomly stumbled across dashcam adaptors that tap power off the back of the rear view mirror and noticed those buttons and didn't know what they did... and no we don't get those in Australia. We also don't get the 10pin plug to tap power at that point either :(
Homelink is a pretty common standard equipment for automobiles. If you have 3 Homelink buttons on your rearview mirror, you should be able to program a button to serve as the garage door opener.

8BB08ECD-574D-4484-9367-450417E6F285.jpeg

Back