AC compressor not turning on

:
2019 CX5 Touring/Preferred Pkg
Looks like the AC compresssor may have crapped out on my 2019 Touring with only 24k miles. Realized it a couple days that the AC button wasn’t clearing the humidity/fog from the windows as fast and with the weather in the low 70s, the AC kept blowing lukewarm air into the cabin.
I’ve taken a look under the hood with the AC on and set to LOW. The compressor never turns on, restarted the engine couple times and made sure the temperature knobs are working correctly when setting the temperature to LOW and or HI.

Anyone have any ideas? Unbelievable that the car being new that the compressor seems to have failed. Perhaps a leak? Should I take into the dealer? I’m guessing they’ll find a reason to place the blame on me.

Is it still under warranty?
Could be something as simple as a bad relay or a leak. If there's no refrigerant the compressor will not start.

Reactions: BWJ
The symptoms might point to a compressor or leak, but as it's only a 2019 maybe some sensor, switch, or relay.

Hope the dealer can help.

I’m guessing they’ll find a reason to place the blame on me.
Hard for you to break the AC lines/components. Besides its under warranty. Get it fixed before 36k miles.

On another note, you can actually cause harm to the AC system by not using it. Make sure to run it a bit even in the winter. The Freon needs to circulate to help lube the entire system.

It won’t kick in if you’ve lost pressure. Have you had it gassed? They’ll leak test it first.

Looks like the AC compresssor may have crapped out on my 2019 Touring with only 24k miles. Realized it a couple days that the AC button wasn’t clearing the humidity/fog from the windows as fast and with the weather in the low 70s, the AC kept blowing lukewarm air into the cabin.
I’ve taken a look under the hood with the AC on and set to LOW. The compressor never turns on, restarted the engine couple times and made sure the temperature knobs are working correctly when setting the temperature to LOW and or HI.

Anyone have any ideas? Unbelievable that the car being new that the compressor seems to have failed. Perhaps a leak? Should I take into the dealer? I’m guessing they’ll find a reason to place the blame on me.
You still have new car warranty, take your CX-5 to your Mazda dealer to fix the problem under warranty ASAP.

You still have new car warranty, take your CX-5 to your Mazda dealer to fix the problem under warranty ASAP.
I have had the same thing in my 2016 Honda Civic. They still charged me a diagnostic fee just to take a look at the car. It was the condenser that was leaking however I wasn’t able to prove that it wasn’t my fault (dealer wouldn’t acknowledge anything) here’s a class action suit against Honda the faulty AC system. Honda Class Action Alleges Civic A/C Defect
Anyhow, I may have to see if I can get a 3rd party to check the pressure if not then I’ll take to the dealer.

If your car is still under mfgr. warranty take it to the dealer. Don't try to find a 3rd party.

As far as Honda and A/C they suck. They have got to have the worst A/C setup in any car mfgr. across all their lines. There's lots of pages on Honda forums about A/C problems.
I know from experience with my wife's CR-V.

I have had the same thing in my 2016 Honda Civic. They still charged me a diagnostic fee just to take a look at the car. It was the condenser that was leaking however I wasn’t able to prove that it wasn’t my fault (dealer wouldn’t acknowledge anything) here’s a class action suit against Honda the faulty AC system. Honda Class Action Alleges Civic A/C Defect
Anyhow, I may have to see if I can get a 3rd party to check the pressure if not then I’ll take to the dealer.
Like wlong01 said above, your 2019 CX-5 Touring with only 24K miles still has 3-year / 36,000-mile new car warranty, there’s no reason you don’t take the car to a Mazda dealer to fix your AC problem under warranty. A owner can’t screw up an AC system, and the manufacture can’t escape the responsibly of an AC problem like yours.

In your previous Honda case, there’s no way the leaking condenser can be your fault unless you physically damaged it like in a collision. If your Honda had new car warranty, the Honda dealer should replace the leaking condenser under warranty. The class action lawsuit mainly is for something out of warranty. You have warranty, you want to get things resolved under warranty.

And I’ve never heard a dealer would charge diagnostic fee just to take a look at the car if the car has the new car warranty.

Last edited:
Like wlong01 said above, your 2019 CX-5 Touring with only 24K miles still has 3-year / 36,000-mile new car warranty, there’s no reason you don’t take the car to a Mazda dealer to fix your AC problem under warranty. A owner can’t screw up an AC system, and the manufacture can’t escape the responsibly of an AC problem like yours.

In your previous Honda case, there’s no way the leaking condenser can be your fault unless you physically damaged it like in a collision. If your Honda had new car warranty, the Honda dealer should replace the leaking condenser under warranty. The class action lawsuit mainly is for something out of warranty. You have warranty, you want to get things resolved under warranty.

And I’ve never heard a dealer would charge diagnostic fee just to take a look at the car if the car has the new car warranty.
I appreciate this write up. I’m going to take it in sometime next week or the next week.
The Honda issue was “something hit the condenser which causes a leak” and they refused to fix it under warranty.

I’ll schedule sometime with the dealer soon since I need to have a state inspection done anyway.

Thanks

Here is a screenshot of the dealers scheduling system stating that they do indeed charge a diagnostic fee.

What baffles me is, how would I know if my issue falls under warranty. I’ve been burned before by Honda and had to pony up the $150 for diagnostics fee. Who decides if it falls under warranty?

Just curious before I go in and let them charge me to take a look at something that should indeed be covered under warranty.

24,769 miles on the odometer and a 2.5 year old still baffles me.

Attachments

• FF61E26E-031A-4658-8C34-85B3ED080FB6.jpeg
    FF61E26E-031A-4658-8C34-85B3ED080FB6.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 148
If your A/C isn't cooling and you did not release the refrigerant or mess around with the A/C component then it will be covered under warranty and you will not have to pay the diagnostic fee.

The fee is more than likely for the people that bring in their vehicle, have the dealer figure out what's wrong with it then leave and either try to fix it on their own or take it to their local mechanic.

Here is a screenshot of the dealers scheduling system stating that they do indeed charge a diagnostic fee.

What baffles me is, how would I know if my issue falls under warranty. I’ve been burned before by Honda and had to pony up the $150 for diagnostics fee. Who decides if it falls under warranty?

Just curious before I go in and let them charge me to take a look at something that should indeed be covered under warranty.

24,769 miles on the odometer and a 2.5 year old still baffles me.
“Disclaimer regarding price:
Waved if covered under factory or extended warranty.”

Your problem is covered under factory new car warranty.

A quick update;
I dropped off the car at the dealership that I brought it from. Turns out the condenser was damaged and leaked out the Freon.
They will be replacing it under warranty which I am really excited for. Leaving the car there overnight but no way for me to get back home!

A quick update;
I dropped off the car at the dealership that I brought it from. Turns out the condenser was damaged and leaked out the Freon.
They will be replacing it under warranty which I am really excited for. Leaving the car there overnight but no way for me to get back home!
Tell them to give you a ride or loaner car.

Tell them to give you a ride or loaner car.
I asked for a loaner however they were all booked until end of December. I’d rather just get this done. Thankfully I had a family member come and pick me up.

I just picked up the car and the AC works now. I didn’t realize we had some sort of protective plastic in front of the condenser. That’s good to know!

A quick update;
Thanks for the update. I wouldn’t be so happy if my dealer found a leaky AC condenser and needs replacement. But may be you got treated unfairly by the Honda dealer from previous warranty work, and this time your Mazda dealer did the right thing for warranty service. It’s supposed to be, as you have new car warranty. And it’s nice you noticed the AC is having problems, and caught it before the warranty runs out.

Thanks for the update. I wouldn’t be so happy if my dealer found a leaky AC condenser and needs replacement. But may be you got treated unfairly by the Honda dealer from previous warranty work, and this time your Mazda dealer did the right thing for warranty service. It’s supposed to be, as you have new car warranty. And it’s nice you noticed the AC is having problems, and caught it before the warranty runs out.
Absolutely. The car is a lease, I have about 5 months left but I am planning on buying this out. My only regret is not leasing a turbo model.

Has anyone else noticed that the CX5 actually has louvres guards protecting the AC Condenser? Here are some photos with the guards 'opened' up. I've noticed that mine has been open or stays open while driving. I haven't been using the AC or the Heat but I do note that this used to be closed or at least when I took it to the dealer, it was fully closed. I've checked during a cold start and after driving around for a bit, it's always open. I'd want to keep it closed to prevent any debris from damaging especially while driving.

Does anyone know why this is stuck open? or when does this close or how it is controlled?
Screenshot 2021-12-21 140152.png
Screenshot 2021-12-21 140136.png

Absolutely. The car is a lease, I have about 5 months left but I am planning on buying this out. My only regret is not leasing a turbo model.
If you trade it in now on a something like a 2021 Carbon Edition Turbo, you will probably have something like $8-10K in equity to use as a down payment

Back