About to buy CX-5 Touring: FWD vs. AWD query

You don't get tight corner braking on a CX-5. It decouples the drive to the rear axle proportional to the steering lock.

There is tight corner braking due to the AWD, I have felt it many times. The AWD system does consider steering wheel angle when deciding how much f/r coupling force to apply but it doesn't automatically disconnect the rear wheels simply because you are taking a 25 mph corner at 50 mph. In this situation the steering wheel angle is nowhere near full lock and as the wheel speed sensors detect wheel speeds/steering angle that indicates some wheels are scuffing it will engage the AWD coupling which is what causes a mild braking force. Of course a FWD CX-5 would detect the same wheel scuffing but it would apply front or rear braking on individual wheels as appropriate.

I have AWD and love it. I've climbed steep grades covered in snow and ice without any issues. One road is almost at 15 degrees (not %) grade with no issues. Other FWD cars just spin their tires and even slide backwards. The CX5 just climbs up like it's got tank treads. I do some dirt road driving so the AWD helps out there also.

If you live in flat lands with little to no snow then FWD is sufficient. Good tires make a big difference but that usually requires buying winter only tires and then swapping them out in the summer for all-season or summer tires.

It comes down to your geographic location and what you plan on doing with the vehicle.

Thanks again for all the posts.

Re: insurance rates for new 2016 CX-5 Touring, when I called my company (USAA) to get a quote on the anticipated purchase, they did not seem to care whether car was AWD or FWD (apparently no option in their quote software to select one or the other). It may have just been an oversight, of course, on the part of the insurance rep.

Being down state you are getting close to FWD country. How about checking out dealers south of you for just the right FWD model. Point out you will drive it away and never come back so no free oil changes or any other hassles for them. Get a price and then either get your local dealer to match it or ROAD TRIP. When I bought my last car I showed the local dealer a quote from 300 miles away. He said sure but it is 300 miles. I pointed out it came with wheels so it would be easy to move, and I was buying the car because I like to drive it. He matched the price.

Latest posts

Back