A warning for $$ Mazda service...

I can't imagine why anyone would take their car to a dealership for any service, save those which involve warranty claims as frequently in those cases, there is no other choice.

Dealerships are in the business to sell cars to make money, and frequently the service bay is so poorly run it's a liability to the bottom line - If the manufacturer didn't mandate thay they offer some sort of "service" I'll bet 90% of new car dealerships would close their "service department" tomorrow morning.

To make up for the poor management, and make it lose less money than it otherwise would, they charge exhorbitant amounts for labor, and charge you more for any needed parts than a well run repair shop elsewhere in town would. If you took a car there with a $5 defective part, likely you would get it back with half a dozen $50 parts changed out, and if you were really lucky, they might have changed the $5 one as well.

Labor rates at dealerships frequently run $60 to $75 per hour or more, while the mechanic actually doing the work on your car may make one-fifth of that - You can go to a professional shop elsewhere in the same town, pay half the rate and get faster and better work done, and know that it was done correctly.

I'm 30 years older than most of you, and I've yet to see a dealer service department that I would trust to work on my car, unless I was allowed to witness what they did, and most (if not all) are very hesitant to allow that, and likely for good reason ;)

Don

well, i see we have some people who think they are smarter than a factory trained tech. if u have all these indepent shops that are so good why do i get the cars they cann't fix. i have more books , the tech line, esi, wiring diagrams , u can ask other tech for help, and some pretty smart engineers at mazda. let an indepent shop beat that. i have 4 years as a mazda tech. i know the cars better than any indepent tech will ever know. i can garentee my work to be as good or better. the quality of work is to make look like it came off the assembly line. not just s*** thrown in the car , like wires in the proper holders, all the nuts and bolts installed !!!!!!!!! i get two or three cars a week that other shops cann't fix. don't get me started !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so when that shop f-cks it up don't take it to a mazda to fix figure it out on ur own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It Depends...

on the dealer. For all of the Toyotas, Hondas, and Mazdas that I have owned since 1977, once the car was out of warranty, any work I could not do myself went to an independant garage that I trust implicitly. The reasons are pretty much the same that Don gave. There is one exception to this. My '92 Saturn SC2 has had ALL repair work done at the local Saturn dealer. Why? They are honest, reasonably priced, timely, and haven't screwed me over, ever. I'm still driving the '92 Saturn too. We'll see how the Mazda dealer measures up when ever our new P5 arrives (damn dock strike!) Jim

When I had my 93 Honda, I always brought it back to the dealer for service (oil changes, non-warranty work) why? They didn't try to rip me off, looked for warranty issues during the oil changes (new drive boots, etc) and even talked me out of doing some of the "recommended service" work because it wasn't really needed. When I had 110,000km on the odo and still hadn't changed my timing belt they got REALLY excited, so I knew that was work that they REALLY had to do. I don't have civic anymore, but I know who has it, and it's still running strong.

As for my Mazda dealer, good so far, except he has this little scam where you have to buy a book of 6 oil change coupons to get them at a decent price, but I'll be going there as long as it's on warranty, so that's not a big deal. After that, who knows...if they've been good to me, I'll take my business there (or ideally, replace the car with a new Mazda 6:p )

I don't know guys.
When i hit 1200 miles (last week). I wanted to change my oil. I called my dealer, but the wrong department got the call (nissan service dept.) same dealership, same place. They told me $25 for oil change. When they asked me what car i had, i told them i had P5 They told me to call another number. When i called, Mazda told me that' it's $35 for oil change. wow...$10 difference for the same oil, same guy will probably do it too.
so instead, i just went down the street and got an oil change for $21. Maybe there is a difference, but most likely there is no difference.

Just ine 2 cents.

yeah, some dealers do try to charge an arm and leg for stuff...luckily my dealership has been pretty good so far...my brother's gf took her accord to another dealership on saturday, they tried to sell her a battery fro $131!!!!! not including installation...must be a special honduh battery...at least the guy was cool and told her that it was a rip off...but that's the price they had to charge...

I have both a base Civic and the MP3.

Honda service: japanese cocktail waitresses serve you hors d'oeuvres, champagne rains from the sky, etc
Mazda service: don't get me started.

I gotta talk to the owner when I have time.

there are good dealers and bad in any brand of vech line. but find a dealer that wants ur repeat bussines. customer surveys are the way to show ur concerns. mazda relies heavy on the input, they send e mails and faxes on dissatisifed customers to the dealership. if still no satisfaction call ur customer service rep or go all out and ask 4 the owner of the dealership. don't be an ass, they usually lose. u get ur car to dealership i can garrentee u will be well respected.

Back