A/T to M/T swap info.

Mazdamatic

:
Mazda 2 Sport
decided to swap trannies before i turbo so i can get more and do more (rallyx/other offroad fun) its not the best in auto lol

would it be a direct swap or would i need to alter the ecu and such?

i found some trannies (800dorras) and have a bunch of people to help me do it on a weekend (in a friends shop)

just looking for any other info on what my need to be done between the 2.

Thats quite ambitious. Good luck. Personally I'd just trade up for a manual somewhere. Dealers seem to sell more auto's so if you found a used 5 speed somewhere maybe they can cut you a deal.

Yea you are looking at some serious work there, it would probably be cost effective just to trade it in on a used 5 speed.

Yea you are looking at some serious work there, it would probably be cost effective just to trade it in on a used 5 speed.

you would be MILES ahead to trade cars. Its not an easy task

You would require the following;

ecu
bcm
abs CM
mounts
flywheel
linkage
clutch petal assy
harness

Those are the high points, but there are more than a few things different on the auto than the manual.

Thats quite ambitious. Good luck. Personally I'd just trade up for a manual somewhere. Dealers seem to sell more auto's so if you found a used 5 speed somewhere maybe they can cut you a deal.

most the 2s (if any ships have them) are auto =[ even the ones in the used car places are auto... sad world

resell on this car for me is only 7grand considering insurance paid 16 for it thats not the best. with my resources a tranny swap wont be too expensive.

you would be MILES ahead to trade cars. Its not an easy task

You would require the following;

ecu
bcm
abs CM
mounts
flywheel
linkage
clutch petal assy
harness

Those are the high points, but there are more than a few things different on the auto than the manual.

i know and i can get all of those. the ecu was the only thing i was wondering about.

I saw several wrecked Mazda2's on eBay and a couple of junk yard sites you may have better luck there I saw whole transmission with all the linkage for 1600.

Personally I would just turbo your automatic or buy another car and have two, one for race and 1 for show.:)

I saw several wrecked Mazda2's on eBay and a couple of junk yard sites you may have better luck there I saw whole transmission with all the linkage for 1600.

got a tranny on ebay and ecu from a place here in houston.
other things will be mods for the clutch etc.

Personally I would just turbo your automatic or buy another car and have two, one for race and 1 for show.:)

i could but thats too easy.

i hate automatics lol manual is 10x more fun but hey. insurance was insurance, dealership was dealership...

just need to invest int some nice cooling for the tranny.

So are you going to do it?

i either
A)turbo the a/t with proper cooling and get good fun power
B)swap for manny and turbo that for batshit insane power (which will be more fun for rallyx)

i have the money and parts to do both i guess i need to think lol one will take longer obviously.

but i prolly will be.

Trade in the car for a manual and return the transmission/ECU.

You have no idea how much BS you are about to embark on.

To do this properly on a Protege takes over $4500.00 in parts...
(Drive Shafts, Manual Wiring Harness, Radiator, Mounts, ECU, Linkage, Clutch Slave, Clutch, Flywheel, Transmission, Interior Trim, Clutch Pedal)

You might encounter a situation where you have no Speedometer cluster and need to buy a new one of those too..

and then you will be driving a car that has not been probably assembled using all the wrong procedures and Tq Specs rather than a robot in Japan, in a clean room.

The risk of pinching the Wiring harness, OBVIOUSLY having No Warranty on anything mechanical as the Trans will not match the VIN...

Last edited:
Trade in the car for a manual and return the transmission/ECU.

You have no idea how much BS you are about to embark on.

To do this properly on a Protege takes over $4500.00 in parts...
(Drive Shafts, Manual Wiring Harness, Radiator, Mounts, ECU, Linkage, Clutch Slave, Clutch, Flywheel, Transmission, Interior Trim, Clutch Pedal)

You might encounter a situation where you have no Speedometer cluster and need to buy a new one of those too..

and then you will be driving a car that has not been probably assembled using all the wrong procedures and Tq Specs rather than a robot in Japan, in a clean room.

The risk of pinching the Wiring harness, OBVIOUSLY having No Warranty on anything mechanical as the Trans will not match the VIN...

hence the title of this whole thread.

ill prolly end up just turboing the auto and experiment with that. just wanted to see what it would take to swap and i got some answers *lol*

They're up to 75 here in Kansas. Not sure about OK or Texas. But if you're really looking for a 5spd 2, I would gladly work a deal with you, mods/wheels included.

Back