A Pillar Trim Problem

sulaco

My wife and I just bought a new 2019 CX-5 Touring. Black interior (pleather seats) with the white or off white or whatever headliner and upper trim. I guess maybe they're all this way? I dunno.

Anyway, the driver's side A-pillar trim piece keeps coming lose. It happens sometimes whenever we pull the Mazda brand sun visor out and we hit it accidentally, but the other day we got in and it was hanging loose from the top clip by itself. Not sure how or why.

Anyone else had this issue or a similar issue? Never happened with our '16.5 CX-5.

If it's brand new then why not just take it back to the dealer? I know if I bought a new car and there were pieces literally falling off, I would be in the parking lot waiting for the dealership to open up. Any pictures of it?

yup, call up your dealership and have them take a look at it. Might be a trim piece that just needs to be replaced under warranty

I clicked it back in. It might have just been loose or something. If it becomes a problem I'll take it back but I'd almost rather do anything than go to a stealership. Was just curious if anyone else had noticed anything similar.

I clicked it back in. It might have just been loose or something. If it becomes a problem I'll take it back but I'd almost rather do anything than go to a stealership. Was just curious if anyone else had noticed anything similar.

They would be fixing a warrantable issue within the warranty period - you wouldn't have to pay a dime. I don't understand your hesitation.

Oh I don't have a problem with this particular dealer, I just have a problem with anyone other than myself touching anything I own. I do EVERYTHING I can possibly do myself, be it home pest control, working on our vehicles, all of it. But yeah, certainly if I see where this issue persists I wouldn't have much choice but to take it in. I know that is probably the opposite of most people, heck hardly anyone even changes their own oil these days, but I just prefer to do it all myself.

It shouldn*t drop out unless it has been out already and not put back properly. Has it had a dashcam by any chance?

This video shows how to put it back properly but if there is any doubt whatsoever that the tether is not fixed properly, buy a new one from the dealer. They are only a few dollars but it must be secure because if the curtain airbag goes off, it can seriously injure somebody.

https://youtu.be/6Y85r6yEhTM

Oh I don't have a problem with this particular dealer, I just have a problem with anyone other than myself touching anything I own. I do EVERYTHING I can possibly do myself, be it home pest control, working on our vehicles, all of it. But yeah, certainly if I see where this issue persists I wouldn't have much choice but to take it in. I know that is probably the opposite of most people, heck hardly anyone even changes their own oil these days, but I just prefer to do it all myself.

I understand, but don't lose sight of the big picture: You didn't build this car.

I understand, but don't lose sight of the big picture: You didn't build this car.

Exactly, you stole my thoughts sir! I am a DIY man too but in a new car meddling can risk guarantee. Besides why bother, let them fix what they should have done correctly in the first place. Unless of course you have 500 km to the nearest dealer!

This is inline with Mazda's interior quality. It looks way better than it really is. In previous gen CX-5, if you see the gauge cluster there is a thin black plastic which forms the southern edge of the entire cluster. Gently tug it and it bends exposing the wiring underneath. You would think that the gauge cluster and its periphery would be top notch quality. My rear lift gate - the interior plastic covering the entire hatch has play in it. I have zero hopes Mazda dealer doing anything about it. So yes - I have seen A pillar issues in gen 1 and the entire dash strip popping out in gen 2, my own gen1 has vibration in the sun visor. If you have time, take it to the dealer otherwise as they say - welcome to the Mazda family.

Back