A Gear and Power Question

Xapax

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I have a question for the community that I can't find the answer to elsewhere. Forgive me if it seems a little simple, I'm afraid I don't know very much about engines. If my question is worth anything, your answers will help me learn more, and it's appreciated.

My used Protege5 (new to me) is not very happy at highway speeds, and I can't figure out why. It seems to run very well, and I've spoken with a couple other P5 owners and they tell me the same thing, the car has high rpm when at 100-120km/hr speeds.

I used to drive a 1988 Volkswagen Fox 5 spd. It had an 81hp engine. It was fine in 3rd gear for the city, cruising at 50-60km/hr around 2500rpm. It was also fine on the highway in 5th gear, cruising at 110-120km/hr at around 2500rpm. It had 81 horses.

My P5 in 3rd gear does 45-55km/hr around 2500rpm. In 5th gear it does 90-100km/hr around 2500rpm. No cojones at all once I go past 110, and it will sit at 4000rpm to move at 115-120km/hr. It supposedly has 130hp.

So, what gives? I realize that horsepower doesn't necessarily equal low rpms, and that this car is obviously not a highway cruiser. Still, Shouldn't it be comfortable at 100-110km/hr instead of 3500+rpms? Is the gear ratio ridiculous? Maybe there is something wrong?

Also, for bonus internet points, any advice on how to tune or change it so that I can get a better highway experience out of this car would be greatly appreciated. I've watched too many debunking videos about cold air intakes and "performance" chips to know better than spending my money on eBay trash.

Thanks!

These cars just don't like higher speeds. There's a 5th gear swap you can do to help it out (A little, not a lot). I think it drops it a few hundred on the highway. I have the gears sitting here on my desk to do it, but I just haven't had the time.

These cars just don't like higher speeds. There's a 5th gear swap you can do to help it out (A little, not a lot). I think it drops it a few hundred on the highway. I have the gears sitting here on my desk to do it, but I just haven't had the time.

Is it true that you can do the 5th gear swap without removing the engine or tranny ??

You can swap the 5th gear by removing the black cap on the driver's side of the trans. I believe either 4th and 5th or 5th and reverse gears are outside the trans case behind the large cover on the end.

Don't forget our engines make most of their horsepower and torque above 3k rpm.

Fantastic! I think this kind of work is beyond me, I don't have all the tools and I'm certainly not going to learn as I go with my daily driver. Perhaps a local mechanic would give this a try for me...

Back