Crunchy grinding noises at low speed gear shifts (2019 CX-5)

BeachHouse

2019 CX-5 Grand Touring
Hi, trying to see if anyone has had a similar issue before. I have a 2019 CX-5 which is around 35k miles. I've been hearing some grinding noise from the car in low speed traffic. The first time I heard it was when I was coasting around 10mph in traffic just lightly feathering the gas pedal. Instead of seamlessly shifting up into 2nd gear I heard a loud grinding noise when I pressed the gas pedal. It kinda sounded like a gear had slipped to me. I got it to stop making the noise by coming to a complete stop and the accelerating again. I didn't see any warning lights on the dash.

Since then I've been trying to listen out for any strange noises since and trying to figure out why it made the sound. What I've found since is that feathering the gas around that 1st to 2nd gear shift makes a bit of a crunchy grinding noise. Sometimes very faintly between 2nd and 3rd as well. It's not very consistent though. And I've also frequently heard a crunchy clunk sound when the car downshift quickly from 2nd to 1st, usually when coming to a stop at a light.

I took it to the Mazda near me and at first they said they couldn't hear anything, so I offered to drive it for them. So I drove around with their service manager who heard the sound at least once. (Though I definitely heard it several times during that drive) They took a look again at the car and still couldn't replicate the sound or find any issues or error codes. They returned my car to me and said we'd have to wait till it becomes more repeatable before they can figure it out, basically break more.

I wasn't really happy with that answer so I've got another appointment next week with another Mazda further away so I'm hoping they can have a better look at it. But in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences before? Or if there's anything specific I should ask the service center to look at? The only thing that was done to the car recently before the sound was a routine oil change and tyre rotation. Thanks!

Get the sound on video, with you explaining when you hear the noise and your concerns over leaving it unchecked. Upload it to YouTube, then contact Mazda Corporate while you're waiting for your dealer appointment, just to get your case opened up. Send them the link to your video(s), and be sure to include timestamps of when the specific noise occurs. Explain that you have already been to "X" dealership, and they said they couldn't hear or replicate the noise despite the technician confirming the noise during a ride along, and that you have an appointment with dealership "Y" to see if they will be more helpful.

Get the sound on video, with you explaining when you hear the noise and your concerns over leaving it unchecked. Upload it to YouTube, then contact Mazda Corporate while you're waiting for your dealer appointment, just to get your case opened up. Send them the link to your video(s), and be sure to include timestamps of when the specific noise occurs. Explain that you have already been to "X" dealership, and they said they couldn't hear or replicate the noise despite the technician confirming the noise during a ride along, and that you have an appointment with dealership "Y" to see if they will be more helpful.
Forgot to mention, but I did already contact Mazda and they opened up a case and advised to continue with the second dealership for the time being. Though, sending them a video recording of the sound is good idea, will do that.

Have you checked the tranny fluid level? If the second dealership doesn't do anything you like you might be wiling to pay for them to pull the pan and see if there are any unusually high metal particles. If not let them change the filter, clean the pan and replace it and fluid. If there is something wrong the odds are good they'll find it in the pan.

Have you checked the tranny fluid level? If the second dealership doesn't do anything you like you might be wiling to pay for them to pull the pan and see if there are any unusually high metal particles. If not let them change the filter, clean the pan and replace it and fluid. If there is something wrong the odds are good they'll find it in the pan.
I would have thought the last dealership checked when they looked it over during the day but I didn't directly ask. But I think I'll ask them to do this at the next appointment.

Back