2018 CX-5 Engine / Transmission issues?

Hey Everyone, first time posting.
I would like to knowing anyone else has experienced issues with jerky transmission on 2018 CX5. I find the transmission to be very jerky when in stop and get go traffic.
Also I have had the recall done for the cylinder deactivation rocker arm issue and ever since that the transmission seems to not be on the right great. It will be in 5th at 50km/hr. Annoying because it will be sluggish when pressing on accelerator slightly.
Another issue I experience and only since that recall is a weird situation where I will be driving at a constant speed, say 80km/hr and 2000rpm. The engine will make a weird low bass type sound or vibration. It comes on for a few seconds then stops. Then will happen again then go away. Can happen in any gear. It is subtle but super annoying amd I have no idea what it could be or how to explain to Mazda.
Car does not seem the same since the recall which was done in July 2020.
75000km on CX5 btw.
Any insight on above mentioned would be great.

Dave

Dave,
Try turning off the TCS and drive for a while. I found the CX-5 drove better after turning it off.

Maybe this ?
Maybe. There are several threads on this topic and TSB. It went a long way in resolving my lugging issue even though that's not the problem described in the TSB. Results have been mixed among posters--some have found it to resolve a jerky transmission, others claimed no difference.

That weird, low base sound at 80 km/hr. at 2,000 RPM--could that be lugging, i.e. the sensation the vehicle is in too high a gear, then it goes away as you as you give it more gas? My lugging was primarily at lower speeds and RPMs, primarily failing to drop from second to first, but I would get it occasionally and briefly in 3rd. gear. Your issue may or may not be related.

Does your 2018 have the cylinder deactivation monitor which shows which cylinders are active in real time? If so check to see if that base sound is correlated to a switch from 4 to 2 or 2 to 4. I don't know what that might mean specifically but would be something to tell a tech. Or if you have a real time mpg meter, the needle flying up toward the top indicates a switch to 2 cylinders; flying back down a switch back to 4.

It should be noted that page 4 of this TCB says it is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, 3 years or 36,000 miles in the US, not the power train warranty. Dunno if a km driver has different warranty terms.

The warranty labor hour allocation is 0.3, surely lower than what would be charged out of warranty. On the other hand, one poster said he got charged $200 which is excessive since there are no part replacements involved. State the problem started after the recall fix--it's worth a shot in trying to get a good will fix. Otherwise, ask for a price in advance so as not to get gouged.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned above, see if you can find it in settings to monitor the cylinder deactivation status. I drove a cx-5 without knowing it had cd and it felt very jerky. Thanks to the information in this forum, I turned on the real time monitor, and the jerky movements were due to cd turning on/off.

As mentioned above, see if you can find it in settings to monitor the cylinder deactivation status. I drove a cx-5 without knowing it had cd and it felt very jerky. Thanks to the information in this forum, I turned on the real time monitor, and the jerky movements were due to cd turning on/off.
OP has a 2018 CX-5 and it doesn’t have real-time cylinder deactivation display.

OP has a 2018 CX-5 and it doesn’t have real-time cylinder deactivation display.
If it has the real time MPG meter (right dash pod in my 2020) it can serve the same purpose.
When reaching steady speed and easing off the gas, the needle bounces up to around 50-60 MPG correlating to CD kicking on. If the needle buries at 80 MPG, it correlates to the CD display showing all four cylinders shut down.

It it has the real time MPG meter (right dash pod in my 2020) it can serve the same purpose.
When reaching steady speed and easing off the gas, the needle bounces up to around 50-60 MPG correlating to CD kicking on. If the needle buries at 80 MPG, it correlates to the CD display showing all four cylinders shut down.
Hey, I like that (y) Why did they have to replace such a cool design with the stupid cylinder display that mine has?

Seeing that 50-60 MPG light up might even make me start to forget about all of negative aspects associated with CD that have showed up in the past couple of years;)

Hey, I like that (y) Why did they have to replace such a cool design with the stupid cylinder display that mine has?

Seeing that 50-60 MPG light up might even make me start to forget about all of negative aspects associated with CD that have showed up in the past couple of years;)
2020 Touring? Same as mine. The real time mpg meter is at the top of two of the four right pod displays. Just keep hitting the INFO button on the steering wheel until you see it. Run both at the same time and you'll see what I'm talking about. Just don't look at the mpg meter when accelerating--the needle drops into very low numbers. ;)

2020 Touring? Same as mine. The real time mpg meter is at the top of one of the four right pod displays. Just keep hitting the INFO button on the steering wheel until you see it. Run both at the same time and you'll see what I'm talking about. Just don't look at the mpg meter when accelerating--the needle drops into very low numbers. ;)
I actually don't drive the CX-5 except for family trips, because my better half thinks it belongs to her. But the next time I'm behind the wheel, I'll definitely give it a try. And I have a very warm feeling that having this display to look at is going to make me feel SO much better about Skyactiv CD.

It is hard to know when the transition from 4 to 2 or 2 to 4 occurs from the display, but when seeing the MPG you know when it is running on 4 or 2 or 0 cylinders.

I've observed one oddity about both the CD display and the real time mpg meter.

Once you level off to constant speed, say 40-50 mph where I've tested this, then ease off the gas to light pressure, the CD display will show no cylinders running and the mpg meter will bury at 80 mpgs. It's still getting gas as it decelerates more gradually than when coasting. It appears to be a glitch, running on two cylinders in that circumstance would be the conclusion.

I've observed one oddity about both the CD display and the real time mpg meter.

Once you level off to constant speed, say 40-50 mph where I've tested this, then ease off the gas to light pressure, the CD display will show no cylinders running and the mpg meter will bury at 80 mpgs. It's still getting gas as it decelerates more gradually than when coasting. It appears to be a glitch, running on two cylinders in that circumstance would be the conclusion.
Maybe the CD display doesn't directly monitor what the cylinders are doing, but monitors the conditions in which CD should kick in?

Back