A/C issues

:
2007 GT FWD, Bose/NAV
So I did a quick search to see if I could find this issue and I did not, but that does not mean it has not already been stated.

The passenger side air is blowing super hot air. It does not matter on which mode or even if the A/C is running. Tried dual zone as well and it has no effect. The only thing I had done was a battery replacement. I will look tomorrow to see if it is a blown fuse or stuck relay. If worse comes to worse then I will start looking at a stuck valve flapper thingy.

BTW, The driver side and rear air all work fine.

I took a flash light and looked and the flaps inside the center top vents in front are actuating on both sides. Is this an issue with a condenser? All fuses look fine for A/C.

I had the same issue with my car after taking it in for service.. Took it back and they fixed it.. I think it was a relay

So I guess I need to look at a relay then. I will need to pop the hood and look for the correct relay that controls the passenger side air. I suspect it has to be some sort relay that closes a door allowing heat from the engine area. Just a guess, as the air that comes out of the passenger side is f'ing hot, almost enough to melt marshmellows.

OK, I went through every fuse and every relay. I put jumper power, pos/neg leads, to the control coil of all relays and they clicked which means they are all good. I even metered pins on relays for continuity and lack there of when they are open w/o power applied. So fuses and relays are out. I next took the glove box out and watched the motor and arm attached to the flapper for the passenger side. The air circulation motor and valve worked, but no mater what combo of heat/AC/DUAL zone/Mode, I could not get the motor and control arm to move on the passenger side. This means that it is stuck open, hence why the super friggen hot air is on the passenger side.

I called a Mazda dealer stateside and they said they have saw this before and they had to change the logicon unit/ heater control motor(unit) and that runs $979.79 just for the part. After I wiped the sweat from my forehead I called the warranty dept, JMC,JMA,JCM,JWTFever they were called and they said that my 7yr/70k extended warranty is honored for service members overseas. Sweet, looks like I will be taking my car over to Tony the Mazda recommended service mechanics 8 miles away so he can marvel over the CX-9 and then figure out how to fix it.

It happened just like I figured. I pulled the 9 into the service shop and all the techies came out to go through it and marvel over it. I then had one service tech go through and look at everything I did. He eventually came to the conclusion that the motor operating the flaper for heat and a/c is burned out. He thinks the logicom is good. The part is 245 euro and on order so we will see.

Of note: the extended warranty company is not able to exercise payment directly to the mazda/ford service department in Italy, so I pay upfront and the warranty company re-imburses me.

Follow-up:

Turns out the motor that actuates the flapper door to open and close the engine heat on the passenger side was bad. The new part worked great. After waiting for the part to arrive and installation, the bill was 335 euro or $455 after labor and IVA. I scanned and emailed all receipts into the warranty agency and will wait for reimbursement.

Back