5k mile interval is too short?

:
2014 CX-5 GS AWD
Moms CX-5 is due for an oil change soon. She misses the service interval that her Tiguan had(10,000 miles). Since the 0W-20 oil is fully synthetic, would it be all good if she went for 7,000 miles? She drives a ton and it seems shes always bringing it to the dealer every couple months. Her oil is about 4,500 miles old and it's still gold coloured. Any ideas?

Moms CX-5 is due for an oil change soon. She misses the service interval that her Tiguan had(10,000 miles). Since the 0W-20 oil is fully synthetic, would it be all good if she went for 7,000 miles? She drives a ton and it seems shes always bringing it to the dealer every couple months. Her oil is about 4,500 miles old and it's still gold coloured. Any ideas?

As long as the vehicles usage patterns do not fall under the "severe service" schedule, 7500 miles is the appropriate oil interval. So if her usage hasn't changed since she used a 10,000 mile service interval on the Tiguan, she should be able to go 7,500 on the CX-5.

BTW, oil color is not a good indicator of the remaining life of the oil. Black oil can be good to go and amber oil can be worn out.

Sitting at the dealer now getting my first oil change. I was told by my dealer first oil change is 5000 miles or 5 months.

I am due for my first oil change in March and I only have 1,700 miles on the car. My dealership told me that they could put me on an every six month plan since I am only using it for local commuting and not racking-up miles.

Of course dealers will tell you 5 months, lol. Easy revenue. 7500 miles or once a year if you don't drive much is fine for almost everybody. Whatever comes first.

There have been oil analysis posted here that suggest 10k+ is very doable.

Last edited:
Sitting at the dealer now getting my first oil change. I was told by my dealer first oil change is 5000 miles or 5 months.

Some dealers are now making most of their profits from their parts and services departments due to vehicle pricing competition.

I'm not surprised when they state to stick to the more frequent service intervals. It never hurts to haul out your owners manual when they get pushy and try to guilt you into something you don't feel is necessary.

Okay. I talked to her and she said she'll stay on the factory interval, for us in Canada it's every 8,000km, until warranty is out(judging by how much she drives, her '14 will be out next year), and then she'll do it every 10,000km(7500 miles). Can we only strictly use 0W-20? Or would you recommend something else for the longer interval?

I just wanted to ask a question on the subject as I traded in my 2010 Mazda3 S 2.5L a few days ago and purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech. The dealer is giving me the 1st oil change free but requested I come in on 5/20/2016. That seems kind of early to me. I only put an average of 7,500 miles a year on my vehicles. Should I just go in on that date or wait till 6 months/5,000 miles?

I am due for my first oil change in March and I only have 1,700 miles on the car. My dealership told me that they could put me on an every six month plan since I am only using it for local commuting and not racking-up miles.

Okay. I talked to her and she said she'll stay on the factory interval, for us in Canada it's every 8,000km, until warranty is out(judging by how much she drives, her '14 will be out next year), and then she'll do it every 10,000km(7500 miles). Can we only strictly use 0W-20? Or would you recommend something else for the longer interval?

My dealer here in Canada also told me that extending it to 6 months would be fine, but that I should not go over 8000km (which I rarely do).

I just wanted to ask a question on the subject as I traded in my 2010 Mazda3 S 2.5L a few days ago and purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech. The dealer is giving me the 1st oil change free but requested I come in on 5/20/2016. That seems kind of early to me. I only put an average of 7,500 miles a year on my vehicles. Should I just go in on that date or wait till 6 months/5,000 miles?

Part of the buying 'experience' is the dealer will offer to schedule your first maintenance. They can be pushy about it because this is a large part of their revenue stream. You can do it whenever you prefer, however.

I am in Canada as well. I have been going every 6 months, but not exceeding 8,000 km per interval. I did the same on my 3. I also think that the south-west portion of BC is probably closer to the conditions outlined in the schedule for the USA (every six months) as compared to the rest of the country.

Part of the buying 'experience' is the dealer will offer to schedule your first maintenance. They can be pushy about it because this is a large part of their revenue stream. You can do it whenever you prefer, however.

I figured as much, I just wasn't sure about it being the first oil change. I thought Mazda might put in a different mixture for the new cars and they should be driven for a certain number of miles and then changed. I read the owners manual and it didn't state a need for that quick of a change, so I figured I ask for more clarification. Thanks.

Well they did in fact offer me my first service. They scheduled my next one in 5000 miles. I highly doubt I'll do that. 7500 seems reasonable. I believe that is what I saw in the owners manual. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I looked in the the maintenance manual and it has where to document the oil changes and services but it doesn't say what mileage interval they should be completed at.

Yeah I know in Canada, Mazda wants 5K-mile/4-month oil change interval which seems much more frequent than other vehicles. The maintenance cost is getting higher if you drive a lot! Not much you can do if you want to keep the new car warranty and powertrain warranty valid.

In the US though, people, especially for those who drive a lot or a little, should utilize Schedule 1 engine oil flexible maintenance interval. The PCM will calculate remaining oil life based on engine operation for a proper oil change interval. For those who drive a lot, you can change your oil up to 10,000 miles! For those who drive a little, you can change your oil up to 12 months! You don't do unnecessary oil changes and you save the environment too. I urge all US 2016 and newer CX-5 owners set your oil change to flexible interval via Maintenance Monitor after your oil change if you haven't done it. Doing this you can keep up your new car and powertrain warranty more easily and save cost of unnecessary oil changes. And be sure to update your PCM software with VINs lower than JM3KE656820 (assembled before April 8, 2015) as there is problem on engine oil Flexible Maintenance system according to this TSB and thanks to Kedis82ZE8 providing this info.

From Owner's Manual:
"Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance" for flexible maintenance."

Back