3 finalists to replace the Duellers

If I am not mistaken, the speed rating (T, H, V, W, Z) is tied to its construction (layers of polymers, steel wires, etc.). Traction, however, is related to the compound, patterns of treads. All-season tires used to be S/T/H-rated only. Recent demand for high-performance all-season makes V-rated more popular. Technically, they (speed-rating and wet/snow-traction) are not contradictory.

Michelin's

The Michelin Latitude's are a LOT better than the OEM's on the snow. I don't really know if they are better than others for the price, but we feel much safer driving with these all season tires.

Got a chance to try my Parada Spec-x's in snow today. I had about 5-6 inches on my steep driveway and the CX-9 got out effortlessly. This was a big deal for me as I couldn't do this in the previous snowfall with the OEM tires. I then drove around town in snow and slush and it was perfectly fine throughout. What a huge difference compared to the last time I drove in a similar snowstorm with the OEM tires on - granted they had 23K miles on them, but still - what a relief!
One thing though. I feel that the dry handling isn't as good as what I remember with the OEM Duelers when they were new. It seems slightly less communicative in the local twisty roads and slightly more "floaty" during interstate driving. Did anyone else feel this way with these tires?

I have the total opposite reaction to the Prada Spec-x's.
Crappy in the snow and excellent in dry and rain conditions.
I'm running 22's btw which may be a factor in the snow.

I have nothing but praise for the Yokohama in 20", comparable to the Bridgestones in dry conditions, hands-down better in snow.

They're not Blizzaks or Nokians, but then again they're not meant to be.

If I lived in a snow belt I'd go the dedicated route for sure. For the occasional Maryland snow, the Spec-X more than suffices, and for a whole lot less than the Michelin Latitude some folks here are running.

I have nothing but praise for the Yokohama in 20", comparable to the Bridgestones in dry conditions, hands-down better in snow.

If I lived in a snow belt I'd go the dedicated route for sure. For the occasional Maryland snow, the Spec-X more than suffices, and for a whole lot less than the Michelin Latitude some folks here are running.

I agree. I am very happy with the overall performace with the Yokohamas.

All of the new 2010 Mazda 3's are coming with Yokohamas. They sound like a good tire. Hopefully this the start of Mazda making a commitment to put some decent OEM tires on their vehicles.

And I echo that sentiment for the Toyo Proxes S/T II's as well.

It's all based on where you live, and in my case that's the south seacoast of MA. I keep looking for a good storm to test these new tires in deep snow and then it dawned on me that this is exactly why I don't need a separate set of snow tires -- just something safer than the hideous Deulers.

Very impressed with YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X

I too was extremely frustrated with the Bridgestone Duelers especially in Chicago winter/snow conditions. (nailbyt) It was bad...very bad! :eek:

After doing a lengthy research I went with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. Paid $175 installed at local Discount Tire.

After putting about 500 miles on these new tires I can confidently say that these tires are truly amazing! What a difference! They are surprisingly grippy. Fantastic traction even in snow/ice/slush with temperatures in single digits. No drama whatsoever!

They are so much quieter. Road noise has decreased by a noticeable amount. They absorb the road imperfections very well! The turn in is noticeably crisper. These tires actually look much more aggressive in person than they do in pictures. (cool)

(2thumbs) Highly recommended for our CX-9's (2thumbs)

Proxes STII

I recently went through the tire madness that everyone is experiencing. I choose the Toyo STII for my GT. I have to say that they are a remarkable improvement over the Bridgestone. They are great in any condition that I have come across this far. I have almost 2k miles on them and have no complainants....And trust me I am a picky F8%k...It takes a lot to make me happy and I am very happy with these tires.
If you are in need of tires for your 9 I HIGHLY recommend the Toyo.

A coworker recently bought a new Toyota Highlander, and she parked it next to me at work today. When I left work I noticed that it has the exact same tires as our CX-9.

Highlander.....ick

Agreed, but this one looks interesting (Would like to see a seven seater though)...

venza.jpg

http://www.toyota.com/sem/venza.html?cid=Google_toyota cuv

Last edited:
We're off topic now, but I have to agree that not enough car companies are pioneers in this area. The thing that sealed the deal with the CX9 for me was the seven passenger seating with a real third row; that and the performance and handling. The closest cars I could find to compete were the Subaru B9 Tribeca (underpowered and tiny 3rd row), the Buick Enclave (captains seats for a 2nd row, which makes it a six seater) or the Audi Q7 (overpriced).

So many cars are great CUVs, but they only have five seats and we already have a euro sports wagon for a five seater (2007 VW Passat). I would have bought ANYTHING VW that had seven seats and a decent ride (i.e., not a minivan). And even their newest CUV (Tiguan) is a five seater and they still haven't extended the Touareg. DUMB!

Last edited:
If the dealer will not help you upgrade your tires, find a tire dealer in your area who will take new OEM tires on trade.

I have a tire dealer who will give me wholesale (-) 20% for the factory rubber.

Michelins are now on sale, so I was able to upgrade (4) Duelers with 125 miles on them, to Michelin Latitude Tour HPs for $170 total.

I have traded larger SUV and Truck tires before, and they will accept tires up to 500 miles of wear.

The Yokohama and General Grabber had slightly better performance data on Tire Rack, but I am happy with the Michelins.

After reading the postings, I am furious! I leased my '07 CX 9 in March of '07 and have had 2 Michigan winters on the Dueler's for a total driving milage of 27,400. The winter conditions and these tire are truly not a good match. Additionally, the left front started making noise and a vibration like a bad bearing or universal was occurring. Took the car in for service at the dealer and they said the problem was related to the tires. Additionally, the car needed all new tires and they would talk to the rep. about a credit toward replacement and I had to buy the tires at the dealership. Is delamination the cause? I turn this car back in in July. I'm temped to drive it like it is and turn it back in without replacing the tires. Should the cost of the tires be my responsibility??

Starting at 17,000 miles, these tires got louder and louder. At 20,000 miles, it was difficult to hold a conversation in the car above 45 mph. It sounded like I had a bad wheel bearing. The tires weren't noisy when new but developed loud hum-like noise after 2000 miles and loudest when driving 40-60 MPH. No visible marks on tires and treads look even.

At first it was a general hum. I complained to the service dept and they rotated the tires and aligned the front. It helped for about 500 miles. No high pitched sound, more like a grinding and vibration that I traced to the left front. This is why I have a hard time believing all the tires need to be replaced. Seems like the company wants me to bear the cost of replacing the tires so when I turn it in, it is ready for auction or sale.

I warehoused my Bridgestones after 9,000 miles and put on a set of YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X 255/50/20 in January. My tire dealer said that the 245's would not ship for over a month, and TireRack was out of stock. So, I went with the 255's. The 1/10th of an inch increase in sidewall height between rim and road is insignificant. The Yokos handled a lot better in light snow and are significantly smoother riding on dry pavement. When I sell the CX-9, I'll throw in the spare set of tires.

Back