Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: Reverse light bulb replacement/upgrade

Sweet! Which bulbs did you go for the turn signal lights? This is probably next on my stuff to do.

I only did the reverse bulbs this time, but they were so easy that I'm more encouraged to do turn signals now.

@sm1ke , are the turn signals obnoxiously bright as LEDs? It's hard to tell in your video. They look brighter, but not sure if they are possibly too bright.

Well, the bulbs I used for my reverse light LED replacements are finally starting to kick the bucket after 5 years of problem free use. No surprise that they didn't live up to their claimed 50,000 hour lifespan, lol. I contacted the seller on Amazon to see if they offer a warranty but I don't have high hopes. Never hurts to ask though.

Well, the bulbs I used for my reverse light LED replacements are finally starting to kick the bucket after 5 years of problem free use. No surprise that they didn't live up to their claimed 50,000 hour lifespan, lol. I contacted the seller on Amazon to see if they offer a warranty but I don't have high hopes. Never hurts to ask though.

Wow, did not expect this but I messaged the manufacturer (Luyed) on Amazon about the failing bulbs. After a few messages back and forth confirming my previous order and current shipping address, I have a new pair of bulbs coming to me on Tuesday (y) This is exactly why it never hurts to ask!

Would the manual state if the "Reverse Lights" are LED or otherwise? Also, would I need the built-in Load Resistor and IC driver? I have a 2021 CX9

Last edited:
Read back thru there is a couple links to bulbs others used, really depends on the bulb most have them built in
Wouldn't all vehicles of the same model year have the same type of lighting in the reverse and rear taillights? Is it possible that by 2021, Mazda decided to go with ALL LED lights? If that's the case, then I wouldn't need to replace them at all, right? The problem with looking at what someone did with a 2015 CX9 is not the same as a 2021 CX9 model and so on. So I guess I'm asking if Mazda used any incandescent bulbs in my model year.

Wouldn't all vehicles of the same model year have the same type of lighting in the reverse and rear taillights? Is it possible that by 2021, Mazda decided to go with ALL LED lights? If that's the case, then I wouldn't need to replace them at all, right? The problem with looking at what someone did with a 2015 CX9 is not the same as a 2021 CX9 model and so on. So I guess I'm asking if Mazda used any incandescent bulbs in my model year.
I am unsure the easiest way to figure it out would be to film your lights if led they will flicker if incendesent they wont. My 2019 cx9 is all led except for the reverse lamps which are incendecents.

My pick up truck is all incendacent except for the turn lights and brake lights which are all LED. Honestly not sure why.

But best option set your phone up behind your mazda press record and cycle thru your lights.
And you meed to be looking thru a screen as the camera lense will catch e
the tell tale flickef of LED

I am unsure the easiest way to figure it out would be to film your lights if led they will flicker if incendesent they wont. My 2019 cx9 is all led except for the reverse lamps which are incendecents.

My pick up truck is all incendacent except for the turn lights and brake lights which are all LED. Honestly not sure why.

But best option set your phone up behind your mazda press record and cycle thru your lights.
And you meed to be looking thru a screen as the camera lense will catch e
the tell tale flickef of LED
Did you ever get hyper flashing?

The problem with looking at what someone did with a 2015 CX9 is not the same as a 2021 CX9 model and so on.

Well, for one thing, the 2015 was the first generation of the CX-9, so almost everything about it is different from the second generation. But you're right. For example, my 2018 has incandescent license plate lights, while @Agape_365's 2019 is the first year Mazda made them LED.

It should be easy enough to pop the access cover out and check the bulb itself, unless they changed that over the years as well.

Well, for one thing, the 2015 was the first generation of the CX-9, so almost everything about it is different from the second generation. But you're right. For example, my 2018 has incandescent license plate lights, while @Agape_365's 2019 is the first year Mazda made them LED.

It should be easy enough to pop the access cover out and check the bulb itself, unless they changed that over the years as well.
Thanks for the response. But will I need the anti-hyperflash circuit board with those LEDs? It's not something I want to test by just popping a few LED bulbs in and see if I bought the correct ones?

Thanks for the response. But will I need the anti-hyperflash circuit board with those LEDs? It's not something I want to test by just popping a few LED bulbs in and see if I bought the correct ones?

Oops, I meant to mention that as well. I think that if you want to be sure, you should get the ones with the resistors just to be safe, while keeping in mind that these units are usually larger in some way. My turn signal LEDs have the anti-hyperflash resistors built into the bulb and they are a bit longer than the bulb they replaced. The reverse light LED bulbs that I use do have the resistors built in, I think. Here's a link.

Oops, I meant to mention that as well. I think that if you want to be sure, you should get the ones with the resistors just to be safe, while keeping in mind that these units are usually larger in some way. My turn signal LEDs have the anti-hyperflash resistors built into the bulb and they are a bit longer than the bulb they replaced. The reverse light LED bulbs that I use do have the resistors built in, I think. Here's a link.
Just so we are on the same page, you're referring to the LED bulbs that are "CANBUS error-free" as stated in the description. Here's what I found that is supposedly compatible with my 2021 CX9 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) Edit: these are for the Rear Turn Signal Tail light replacements. I know there is also the Reverse Backup replacement to do. The link you gave me says those LEDs are NOT compatible with Mazda 2021cx9 but ARE compatible with 2018 CX9 vehicles. So it looks like some Mazdas need the IC driver and perhaps more load resistors and other models do not. Would you agree?

Last edited:
Back