2nd Gen Rear Flip Down Console/Wiring Tubing Indentation

:
USA
:
2023 CX-50 PPT
Anyone else on their 2nd Gen seeing an indentation left on the lower part of the outside leather (or "leather") on the rear center flip down console?

attachment.php

I only more recently started leaving that console/drink holder down, as have rear passengers when charging their phones. Seems the plastic wire loom tubing for what I assume is the USB and/or the seat heater switches is pressing against that lower portion when the unit is flipped down. I can feel it with my finger in that exact spot, but I can't seem to move it out of the way (the loom seems to have no flexibility and there's little physical room to move it away into, anyway).

I'll bring it up on my next servicing, as I'm worried the indentation may become more permanent, if it isn't already. If I get ambitious, I might try to see how difficult it is to disassemble enough to get to that loom directly.

*EDITED to include direct photo given the new forum

Attachments

• IMG_4925.JPG
    IMG_4925.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Nope, definitely from the wiring loom plastic--immediately after leaving it down for a bit, and then flipping it back up, you can actually see the ridges of the wiring loom cover imprinted. And when down, I can shove my finger in there and directly feel the loom pressing on that very spot.

My first assumption was similar, and I had immediately thought that it was something someone had under it or something I had on the seat during trips camping or to the Keys, where heat could have caused that something to imprint the surface, but it is definitely the wiring bundle under/back there.

Last edited:
Why not leave the arm rest up when not in use? It's so easy to flip the thing down when needed, I'm sure that your passengers could manage it.

Why not leave the arm rest up when not in use? It's so easy to flip the thing down when needed, I'm sure that your passengers could manage it.

Thank you. It is mostly left in the up position (and in particular once I noticed this), but I'm afraid permanent damage has already been done to the surface. It has been up for two full days now and the impression remains.

As I said, this will be brought to the dealer's attention for addressing on my next regular service. I'm not one to get all up in arms over the littlest thing, and I'm not here, but in reality, this shouldn't be happening--and, since I haven't yet seen anyone else experiencing this, that simply means something's specifically amiss with my individual vehicle. It happens, no biggie. (shrug)

I was going to say that maybe when the temps warm up perhaps the arm rest will return to the original shape, but since you're in the Sunshine state...

I was going to say that maybe when the temps warm up perhaps the arm rest will return to the original shape, but since you're in the Sunshine state...

Heehee--and our high summer heat sometimes causes damage just on its own. Take the good with the bad, I guess.

If it *is* real leather there, you could try a steamer. That should shrink the indent out (might even work for pleather too).

If it *is* real leather there, you could try a steamer. That should shrink the indent out (might even work for pleather too).

Yeah, I was thinking about that or a heat gun on a low setting, but I am thinking I won't try fixes until the dealer weighs in. I'm still well under warranty, and if the guilty wiring loom isn't where it is supposed to be, that's a manufacturing defect and should be covered, including any damage to the leather or "leather".

I hope.....

I love this vehicle and this is such a minor thing I am not even batting an eye.

I occasionally have passengers in the rear seat, but they rarely have the console down.

But now that the cold weather is here, I can see them wanting to access the seat warmer buttons.

That stinks if it's a universal thing. I didn't see anyone here mention that they often have the rear console down so as to confirm/deny your experience.

That stinks if it's a universal thing. I didn't see anyone here mention that they often have the rear console down so as to confirm/deny your experience.

One of the primary reasons I posted, to alert others and to see if anyone else has experienced this same thing. Seems not, which is mostly a relief, but you are correct in that perhaps it is just that people don't keep that down all the time, or often enough. But, still, it seems problematic that it happens at all, since the rear console is designed to be in both positions. I'm leaning towards my individual vehicle having that wiring loom routed incorrectly.

I*ll have a look this morning with wife and kids in the car. They do like the seat warmers, so I can check it out.

One of the primary reasons I posted, to alert others and to see if anyone else has experienced this same thing. Seems not, which is mostly a relief, but you are correct in that perhaps it is just that people don't keep that down all the time, or often enough. But, still, it seems problematic that it happens at all, since the rear console is designed to be in both positions. I'm leaning towards my individual vehicle having that wiring loom routed incorrectly.

But as you said: "I love this vehicle and this is such a minor thing I am not even batting an eye."

I completely agree. There is so much fun in these cars that a multitude of low-level sins can be overlooked. I've commented before that on more than one nice summer night, I've turned off the television and gone for a long ride. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a car enough to just go for a drive.

And I appreciate the heads-up on this issue. I'll keep an eye out in my car, and if nothing else I'll make sure to keep the console upright when not in use as a precaution.

I occasionally have passengers in the rear seat, but they rarely have the console down.

But now that the cold weather is here, I can see them wanting to access the seat warmer buttons.

With OPs problem, to me Mazda should move these rear seat warmer adjusters and USB chargers to the end cap of front central console like most other vehicles Ive seen. With current location, you have to flip down the center seat back to use them, and you cant use them if you have 3 passengers seating in the rear.

With OP*s problem, to me Mazda should move these rear seat warmer adjusters and USB chargers to the end cap of central console like most other vehicles I*ve seen. With current location, you have to flip down the center seat back to use them, and you can*t use them if you have 3 passenger seating in the rear.

Probably installed in the interior for aesthetic (and even protective) purposes.

I can imagine owners of other cars saying "These things are exposed to spilled sodas and crumbs...why don't they move them to inside the console?"

I do agree with your 3rd passenger observation. I've thought the same thing, although it's yet to be an issue for me.

With OP*s problem, to me Mazda should move these rear seat warmer adjusters and USB chargers to the end cap of front central console like most other vehicles I*ve seen. With current location, you have to flip down the center seat back to use them, and you can*t use them if you have 3 passengers seating in the rear.

Good point!

Probably installed in the interior for aesthetic (and even protective) purposes.

I can imagine owners of other cars saying "These things are exposed to spilled sodas and crumbs...why don't they move them to inside the console?"

I do agree with your 3rd passenger observation. I've thought the same thing, although it's yet to be an issue for me.
Exposed to spilled sodas and crumbs...? Easy to be resolved with a cover to protect like this 2018 Honda CR-V:

honda-2018-honda-accord-rear-seat-vents-with-2-5-amp-usb-charging-port-08u57-tva-110b-auto-part-4494521794648_4000x@3x.progressive.jpg

Just checked mine. Its even worse than yours! Mines pulling up the actual cover near the wire loom. I'll have them address the during my initial 3K mile oil change.

Photos attached. Just note that I didn't have to do anything to separate the cover, its doing that on it's own.

IMG_7050.jpegIMG_7049.jpegIMG_7051.jpeg

Ok. How do you actually put the photos in a post? Mine always seem to go in as an attachment and not imbedded in the actual post.

Back