20B TT - 20B PP na

ROTARY <3

Hey guys, i am interested in importing a JC 20B Cosmo from Japan, but as you all know they come stock as a 20B twin turbo, but i live in Australia and im 17, so we have "P Plates". It is a provisional license that you have for three years before you can get your full license with no restrictions. Some of the dumb restrictions that i encounter is that i am not allowed turbo powered cars.... (notcool) I really want a cosmo, as i love there awesome and cool look/styling and i love that 20B roar. I was just wondering how hard it would be to convert the stock engine from the twin turbo, to a naturally aspirated peripheral port (pp) and how much it would cost? Thanks.
Myles (cheers2)

There are a couple of issues;

1. No one in Australia has the compliance license for this car anymore so you wont be able to road register one. The only way that you will be able to import one is for track use only and someone with a CAMS license will need to facilitate the import.

2. A PP engine is really expensive by the time you add up the machining and tuning costs. Best case scenario is around $10K if you are able to do the work yourself OR around 20K minimum for someone else to do the work.

3. Even if you do remove the turbo's and go to NA you wont legally be allowed to drive it under the Australian laws because it is now "modified".

I know it sucks but that is the state of play in Australia at the moment. If you want a rotary I would recommend a S3 or S4/5 RX7 which are all very cool JDM cars, NA and can be had for cheap.

Yep, unfortunatly the bubble has burst for cosmos Oz. whats here and registered already is all that there will ever be... for now anyways.
I think i imported one of the last ones under the 15 year old rule. that would of been about 5-6 years ago now.

So if i import one, i cant legally register it? Also, what is better as in reliability and performance, a 13B na carby or a EFI 13B na? Thanks.
Myles.

So if i import one, i cant legally register it?

Well, you wont be able to import it unless you have a CAMS license and even you can do this, it cannot be registered.

Also, what is better as in reliability and performance, a 13B na carby or a EFI 13B na? Thanks.
Myles.

13B EFI is what you'll be after for ease of use, however you can still have crappily built EFI engines that will be worse than a carb. Make sure you get a car with a good track record - receipts log books etc.

There is one other option. Go and live in Japan for a year and bring one back as a personal import.

Back