2023 CX-5 Clicking Noise Under Dash

2023 CX-5 clicking noise. Mostly heard on bumpier roads but still heard intermittently on smoother roads. There's a road near my house that makes it sing, but I genuinely cannot figure out where it's coming from. I would love to be able to have my head down there while someome drives to pinpoint where it's coming from, but that's never going to happen.

6500 miles on it and I've taken it to the dealership twice already and they haven't really done anything. First day tech drove it twice and heard nothing. I then came and test drove with him and I heard it 50 times in 10min just like in this video, but tech said "they maybe could hear a couple". Took it in again today and they called the Mazda national tech line and got nowhere. At this point, I feel like it's my job to find where it's coming from and tell them how to fix it.

The service advisor made it seem like they might just call this a "normal" noise. If you bought a brand new car and 6500 miles later you hear this every time you drive it, would you accept that? Just makes my blood boil every time I hear it.

Unfortunately, that's not very helpful. It sounds more like a clunk than a click. But either way it's unrecognizable.

I've had the exact same issue for the last 6 month since buying. I had tried everything, took the dash out, taped up every possible cable etc. Watched multiple YouTube videos and tried everything out there to make the dash clicking noise disappear.

I finally managed to work out what it was with my local garage. It's the windscreen on the car. Apparently multiple Mazda's from 2018 to present have this clicking noise because the windscreen was installed incorrectly during the cars manufacture. Not enough bonding was used, so when the temperature increases and the mastic / bond expands, the glass can tap against the frame of the car.

Cost to fix is £180 to have the screen removed and rebonded correctly.

I hope this helps someone out there, as the clicking / creaking noise was driving me crazy

2023 CX-5 clicking noise. Mostly heard on bumpier roads but still heard intermittently on smoother roads. There's a road near my house that makes it sing, but I genuinely cannot figure out where it's coming from. I would love to be able to have my head down there while someome drives to pinpoint where it's coming from, but that's never going to happen.

6500 miles on it and I've taken it to the dealership twice already and they haven't really done anything. First day tech drove it twice and heard nothing. I then came and test drove with him and I heard it 50 times in 10min just like in this video, but tech said "they maybe could hear a couple". Took it in again today and they called the Mazda national tech line and got nowhere. At this point, I feel like it's my job to find where it's coming from and tell them how to fix it.

The service advisor made it seem like they might just call this a "normal" noise. If you bought a brand new car and 6500 miles later you hear this every time you drive it, would you accept that? Just makes my blood boil every time I hear it.

View attachment 320562
Well I hear it , you are not crazy - I have a 2023 CX-5 and I would like to know which model you have and when in the model year you got it . I ask because on some , like Premium , there was no bose or power rear tailgate . Year end had both -- I see a guy was industrious and found the wind..shield was the culprit ? Did you get resolution ? Was that in fact the issue ? Sounds like a janky thing thats a major oversight --- hard to believe , the noise didnt sound like glass hitting metal -Thanks for taking the time to post it and hopefully its an isolated incident --

Hello! Has the noise been resolved? I really think it's a similar noise/problem with my cx5!

I bought a used CX5 2021 & it had 10k miles when purchased. The noise happens very randomly whether I'm on flat or bumpy roads, windows up/down, AC on/off and I can be driving fast/slow speeds. I have taken it to the shop twice but they can't replicate the noise so nothing can be done! It sucks because it happens so randomly & it is so frustrating!! I also attached a video of my car noise to see if that's kind of what you hear because I really feel it's a similar noise to yours - sounds prominent on the right front dash area. Unfortunately, I can't make the noise happen when I want so it can't get resolved. I have tons of videos but per techs, nothing can be done until they hear it themselves in person -__-

Attachments

• IMG_3422.MOV
    42 MB
Hello! Has the noise been resolved? I really think it's a similar noise/problem with my cx5!

I bought a used CX5 2021 & it had 10k miles when purchased. The noise happens very randomly whether I'm on flat or bumpy roads, windows up/down, AC on/off and I can be driving fast/slow speeds. I have taken it to the shop twice but they can't replicate the noise so nothing can be done! It sucks because it happens so randomly & it is so frustrating!! I also attached a video of my car noise to see if that's kind of what you hear because I really feel it's a similar noise to yours - sounds prominent on the right front dash area. Unfortunately, I can't make the noise happen when I want so it can't get resolved. I have tons of videos but per techs, nothing can be done until they hear it themselves in person -__-
That noise is 100% the windscreen. Its the exact same noise I had. Mazda are aware of it and if you push hard enough they will replace it under warranty. If your car is out of warranty Mazda will pay 60% of the cost as part of their goodwill scheme.

Had the same issue for months and it was driving me crazy as it's so intermittent. It's where during manufacture they didn't use enough bonding, so as the car heats up and the mastic expands and the glass is tapping on the frame of the car. My Mazda main dealer replaced the windscreen and the issue has gone. I was told this is an issue on all cars from 2017 to 2023.

That noise is 100% the windscreen. Its the exact same noise I had. Mazda are aware of it and if you push hard enough they will replace it under warranty. If your car is out of warranty Mazda will pay 60% of the cost as part of their goodwill scheme.

Had the same issue for months and it was driving me crazy as it's so intermittent. It's where during manufacture they didn't use enough bonding, so as the car heats up and the mastic expands and the glass is tapping on the frame of the car. My Mazda main dealer replaced the windscreen and the issue has gone. I was told this is an issue on all cars from 2017 to 2023.
Thank you for responding so quickly !! Were the techs able to hear the noise prior to replacing or how did you get your winshield replaced? Because my issue is they can't hear it so there is nothing they can do.. My car is under warranty so I'm trying to get resolved while still under warranty.

Its clearly a noise - Its tough to discern where exactly its emanating from - Im pretty certain that once youve filed the complaint with Mazda , if its something that gets worse or is found , they will cover it . The only wildcard is that its used - not bad , just never know what was done , or undone ?
Have you had someone else drive and you sit in the pax seat and get up close and personal with a stethoscope- ? They work well to isolate noise locations - Whatever it is its annoying as all get out - and it dosent sound like a mechanical issue -- possibly something being agitated by the incoming air - did you check the cabin air filter area , and the air intake beneath the base of the windshield outside ..with a good tight-beam led flashlight ?-- under wipers ?- PULL the cabin filter , OPEN the glovebox , get another driver and sit in pax seat- and drive - do reinspection while moving and sitting there -- 86 the phone -- could be something jammed inside the sir circ system - ?

Thank you for responding so quickly !! Were the techs able to hear the noise prior to replacing or how did you get your winshield replaced? Because my issue is they can't hear it so there is nothing they can do.. My car is under warranty so I'm trying to get resolved while still under warranty.
I took it to the garage and they said there was nothing they could do as they could replicate the noise, so here your diagnostic bill for doing nothing. Luckily I had recorded 3 videos on my phone of the clicking noise which I emailed over to them after a slightly heated verbal exchange, along with the evidence I had from other sites saying that this was the issue. They then phoned me back and said my video and additional information had helped them diagnose 3 other CX5s they had in ( not sure how) and they confirmed it's an issue with the windscreen.

It all seems below board in my opinion. It seems it's a known issue with CX5s that Mazda are aware of, yet the garages don't want the work as there's no money in it for them, as all they do is send the car off to an external windscreen repair shop.

Keep fighting, don't take no for an answer, but it 100% what's causing your issue.

Did you find a fix? Mine sounds exactly the same and it's coming from the top dash near the windshield on the driver side. I've attached a video here.

View attachment 320562

Change the dealership.

If you put pressure on the glass from the inside does that stop the noise? If so, that you prove where the sound is coming from.

Back