2022 Mazda CX5 2.5L with Cylinder Deactivation

Hello All
I am new to this forum.
Bought a new CX5 premium plus naturally aspirated 2.5L.
I have been reading stuff regarding the Cylinder Deactivation (CD) and its side affects towards the long term durability of the engine. So I am hoping to get few clarifications from experienced users, using these engines.

1. Does cylinder deactivation really affect the long term reliability of the engine?
2. Any user seeing failure of the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters caused by CD from 2018 to 2022?
3. How different is Mazda CD compared to GM's AFM and Honda's VCM?
4. What precautions do you recommend for a mazda engine with CD?
5. Should I take the extended warranty which is costing around $3000 for 7 year/100000 miles?

Appreciate your responses.

I know the reason behind CD. If Mazda randomized CD then I would have no problems looking at a new CX5. But since they don’t and the HLA is having issues, I will stick to a pre-2017 CX5

Upvote 0
Hello All
I am new to this forum.
Bought a new CX5 premium plus naturally aspirated 2.5L.
I have been reading stuff regarding the Cylinder Deactivation (CD) and its side affects towards the long term durability of the engine. So I am hoping to get few clarifications from experienced users, using these engines.

1. Does cylinder deactivation really affect the long term reliability of the engine?
2. Any user seeing failure of the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters caused by CD from 2018 to 2022?
3. How different is Mazda CD compared to GM's AFM and Honda's VCM?
4. What precautions do you recommend for a mazda engine with CD?
5. Should I take the extended warranty which is costing around $3000 for 7 year/100000 miles?

Appreciate your responses.
change your oil frequently with good full syn one + oem oil filter and enjoy the car

Upvote 0
Its a non-issue / trying to find a small suv that is still fundamentally a " traditionally built " isint easy( real gears , no hybrid etc ) - I think all Mazdas competitors use CVT transmissions and some hybrid system ...ill take my chances with CD over any vehicle with a CVT or other acronym which is still a CVT transmission and paying more for a hybrid which has weight, cost and cargo issues - yes CD is an engine feature ...but long term reliability is whats in question here -

Upvote 0
Its a non-issue / trying to find a small suv that is still fundamentally a " traditionally built " isint easy( real gears , no hybrid etc ) - I think all Mazdas competitors use CVT transmissions and some hybrid system ...ill take my chances with CD over any vehicle with a CVT or other acronym which is still a CVT transmission and paying more for a hybrid which has weight, cost and cargo issues - yes CD is an engine feature ...but long term reliability is whats in question here -
Toyota RAV4 in ICE form uses an 8-speed automatic, not a CVT. The hybrid versions use an eCVT.

Upvote 0
Like mentioned above, Toyota RAV4 non-hybrid still uses "traditionally built" but better 8-speed step automatic transmission than Mazda’s old 6-speed auto. It has lock-up clutch in every gear like Mazda’s SkyActiv-Drive auto too. RAV4’s Dynamic Force 13:1 high compression 2.5L NA without cylinder deactivation is also more efficient with industry best 40% / 41% (hybrid) thermal efficiency than Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation.

If I have to choose one between CVT and CD, I’d choose CVT any day if the long-term reliability is my concern.

Upvote 0
Like mentioned above, Toyota RAV4 non-hybrid still uses "traditionally built" but better 8-speed step automatic transmission than Mazda’s old 6-speed auto. It has lock-up clutch in every gear like Mazda’s SkyActiv-Drive auto too. RAV4’s Dynamic Force 13:1 high compression 2.5L NA without cylinder deactivation is also more efficient with industry best 40% / 41% (hybrid) thermal efficiency than Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation.

If I have to choose one between CVT and CD, I’d choose CVT any day if the long-term reliability is my concern.
Well - you are certainly entitled to to do so -- so why are you in a Mazda forum ? I see you post quite a bit dispensing advice as opposed to experience, why arent you in the Toyota forum ? - Enjoy the Rav 4 !

Upvote 0
Well - you are certainly entitled to to do so -- so why are you in a Mazda forum ? I see you post quite a bit dispensing advice as opposed to experience, why arent you in the Toyota forum ? - Enjoy the Rav 4 !
I’m in this forum because I own a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD since 2015. I am not in the Toyota RAV4 forum because I don’t own a RAV4.

We only pointed out the fact that there’s traditional step automatic transmission and non-hybrid naturally aspirated ICE alternative on compact CUVs other than Mazda CX-5 when you said there’s none available.

Good advice is based on many years of experience. Nothing wrong with that. You can certainly give your advice to those who are looking for help or opinions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No need to be rude❤️ We all love and have mazdas which is why we're here, but we're allowed to love other cars and brands too, or at least see aspects that we like about them!

Upvote 0
I really enjoy my 2022 Mazda premium plus. I have had several Mazda's and was happy with all. I usually keep my vehicles to 100,000+ miles and sell them running like new.

Upvote 0
Guys, let's please keep threads on topic moving forward. If convos get a little sidetracked, that's okay, but when the conversation starts to run on, use your best judgement and circle back.

Upvote 0
Guys, let's please keep threads on topic moving forward. If convos get a little sidetracked, that's okay, but when the conversation starts to run on, use your best judgement and circle back.

Good advice !

I was going to apologize to the OP but just noticed this thread is from Sep '22 (Dec '22 last post)
and was resurrected by 191554 perhaps for sake of argument.

Upvote 0
Back