2022 CX-5?

Yeah I wouldn’t worry about the minor decrease on CAFE MPG requirement by featuring only AWD on CX-5, but I do believe it’ll hurt the overall sales on CX-5. Just ask the Mazda dealers in Texas and see how many potential customers are willing to pay $1,200 for an AWD here. The same in California, other than some who may be interested in skiing. Like MX693 mentioned above, Honda introduced FWD option on its RDX to increase sales.

I don’t believe the rough shifting complaints are related FWD and AWD setups. It only started happening when Mazda introduced cylinder deactivation which also had to modified the transmission.
Though less common, turbo drivers also voice complaints about less than smooth shifting, so it's not exclusively a CD issue.

CD might have muddied the engineering waters within the 4 configs that had to be handled--normally aspirated FWD and AWD and the two turbo versions. Paring it down to two configs might be the path to simplification, fewer variables, allowing for hardware tweaks and an improvement path forward. I'm not seeing any mention of CD being eliminated. Maybe it is and you're right--it's existence was pretty much on the QT in the marketing so its elimination might also be on the down low. Otherwise, the shifting issues have been purportedly smoothed out while CD has been retained thereby making CD not the root issue. Of course the proof will be in the pudding--driving the thing.

As for the extra $1,300, Mazda's marketing choices can get bizarre when venturing into new waters, such as the upcoming 100 mile range, slow EV crossover and calling it "MX", same as the Miata. But they know what's been selling and how much they make on existing trims. And it might not be $1,300. Having to build only one trans version simplifies manufacturing--they could pass some savings on and shrink that gap a couple of hundred.

In the end, the calculus building off the momentum of glowing reviews probably goes something like this:

If you want best in class reliability (Consumer Reports carries a lot of weight), handling, interior appointments, and distinctive styling, now with a suspension evidently tuned for AWD-only along with additional modes supplementing Sport mode, and you don't want to pay that extra $1,300, fine, go buy a base FWD RAV4 but be sure to add $590 just for Blind Spot Monitoring and whatever else it doesn't have. You were probably looking at Kia/Hyundai anyway if $1,300 is a deal breaker. Or we have a CX-30 you might be interested in.

As for mid- and upper level trims, drivers paying that money who value the vehicle's characteristics won't have too much trouble with an extra $20/month on a 5 year loan.

What Mazda is saying is that while this vehicle is not quite "premium" as the CX-50 is purported to be, it is a cut above the everyman competition in a lot of categories that matter to a lot of people, and dry road drivers who value the vehicle's characteristics should be willing to pay up a little for that. Besides, you're getting an AWD vehicle--that's bound to be a superior dry road driver's experience at the limits.

It's a calculated risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though less common, turbo drivers also voice complaints about less than smooth shifting, so it's not exclusively a CD issue. CD might have muddied the engineering waters within the 4 configs that had to be handled--normally aspirated FWD and AWD and the two turbo versions. Paring it down to two configs might be the path to simplification, fewer variables, allowing for hardware tweaks and an improvement path forward.
2.5T uses different transmission from the 2.5L with CD. And remember Mazda is selling both FWD and AWD CX-5 worldwide. Simplification on production line at Hiroshima plant by eliminating the FWD CX-5 only for the US market can’t be happening.

As for the extra $1,300, Mazda's marketing choices can get bizarre when venturing into new waters, such as the upcoming 100 mile range, slow EV crossover and calling it "MX", same as the Miata. But they know what's been selling and how much they make on existing trims. And it might not be $1,300.
To be fair, eliminating the FWD CX-5 for the US market is a decision made by Mazda North American Opetations. Their marketing choices are indeed bizarre at times. Cylinder deactivation and diesel are 2 recent examples. I’d say eliminating the FWD on CX-5 is the 3rd one!

8BDB2785-6A5E-44DD-A108-EA159405031E.png

Mazda will keep the cx-5 when the cx-50 comes out just like the cx-3 is still for sale.

The 2022 cx-5 Signature looks classy with the LIP KIT!! And all cx-5 has AWD standard… so shall I sell my 21 cx-5 gtr or just buy the Signature lip kit when at the parts department?? 😊

Edit
“Traffic Jam assist” standard too!!??

C5616FE5-79CC-4B1A-9C5A-444C65603133.png

Sounds like they are different traction control modes, based on the site.

AWD is now standard. The question is how much the base price will go up for next year. AWD is currently a $1,400 premium.

Signature lighting looks worse IMO, doesn't have the same presence, looks more generic. I do like the new 19" wheels.

Yeah the “parking lights” does not seem to have the white horizontal side markers.

Where do you think they put the Mi-Drive knob/switch. Does it replace the sport switch? I do wonder why they are making all their vehicles AWD. That has to impact their MPG numbers and even a slight drop (1 MPH) can have an impact.

So price increases for all cx-5 because it now has awd just to mask the computer shortage. So I guess this makes sense mind as well jackup the price a little more lol

First of all, this thread is fantastic, I haven't felt any need to check news sites for updates or analysis because everyone here is posting all that and more...Well done and thank you! (y)

Those two pics above that @sm1ke posted really caught my eye...The revised frontend does seem cleaner and sleeker plus that red exterior with black wheels looks ace!

The 2022 cx-5 Signature looks classy with the LIP KIT!! And all cx-5 has AWD standard… so shall I sell my 21 cx-5 gtr or just buy the Signature lip kit when at the parts department?? 😊

Sorry to disappoint, but it's not a lip kit. That's the standard trim you'll get on all 2022 CX-5s, the only difference will be the colour, depending on the trim level of the CX-5. Also, since the 2022 CX-5 has redesigned front and rear bumpers, you'd have to swap bumpers to get the painted or gloss black trims (and it hasn't been confirmed that the bumpers will be interchangeable between the 2017-2021 and the 2022 yet). Or you could ask a shop to colour match your existing trim, but as far as I know, nobody's done that on the CX-5 yet, so I have no idea how it would turn out.

First of all, this thread is fantastic, I haven't felt any need to check news sites for updates or analysis because everyone here is posting all that and more...Well done and thank you! (y)

Those two pics above that @sm1ke posted really caught my eye...The revised frontend does seem cleaner and sleeker plus that red exterior with black wheels looks ace!

Yeah, the soul red with gloss black trim looks especially good!

Found more pictures on a Romanian car site, including the interior and the new zirconium color, which tbh not really sure who is going to buy that. Also, more pics at night with the new DRL. Don't see any modification on the interior so my guess is that the old sport selector will act as a new selector for the drive modes.

Found more pictures on a Romanian car site, including the interior and the new zirconium color, which tbh not really sure who is going to buy that. Also, more pics at night with the new DRL. Don't see any modification on the interior so my guess is that the old sport selector will act as a new selector for the drive modes.

Yeah, these are in lots of places now. I really like this color and the seats are kinds neat as well.

From the styling and the pics, looks like they are trying to hit the Subaru crowd. Get the feeling they are shooting for the CX-5 to be the "younger people" car and something else will takes its place for the "older people" car.

Attachments

• 2022-Mazda-CX-5-facelift-42.jpg
    2022-Mazda-CX-5-facelift-42.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 2022-Mazda-CX-5-facelift-46.jpg
    2022-Mazda-CX-5-facelift-46.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Yeah, these are in lots of places now. I really like this color and the seats are kinds neat as well.

From the styling and the pics, looks like they are trying to hit from of the Subaru crowd. Get the feeling they are shooting for the CX-5 to be the "younger people" car and something else will takes its place for the "older people" car.

Yeah I think I'm a fan of the new colour, want to see it in person though. It looks like the zircon sand colour might be unique to a special trim to start, like the way polymetal grey was for the Carbon Edition. The lime green accents are VERY Subaru-ish, kind of wish they picked a different colour if they were aiming for that crowd with this new trim.

Yeah I think I'm a fan of the new colour, want to see it in person though. It looks like the zircon sand colour might be unique to a special trim to start, like the way polymetal grey was for the Carbon Edition. The lime green accents are VERY Subaru-ish, kind of wish they picked a different colour if they were aiming for that crowd with this new trim.
Those lime colors on the interior looks gross imo. It looks like the ones on that cheap Kona interior. Not really sure where Mazda wants to go with this but this is a big step back in my view.

1631714173457.png

Still can’t see any sign of fog lights from pictures on this Romanian car site. I did spot the fog light icon on light switch stalk. And front and rear fog lights are mandatory in EU.

Last edited:
Those lime colors on the interior looks gross imo. It looks like the ones on that cheap Kona interior. Not really sure where Mazda wants to go with this but this is a big step back in my view.

View attachment 303037
I would argue the Mazda interior looks nothing like that. That is cheesy. I don't believe for a second the Mazda interior will look cheesy.

View attachment 303037

I'm not a fan either, but Mazda's use of lime green is a little more subtle than the Hyundai's at least. Thankfully it appears to only be available on a specific trim that has yet to be announced as far as I know.

Still can see any sign of fog lights from pictures on this Romanian car site. I did spot the fog light icon on light switch stalk. And front and rear fog lights are mandatory in EU.

They may be integrated into the headlights, possibly in the high beam area.

The 2.5 Turbo in black would be a real stealth bomber, lol. Might consider it…just needs the black headliner.

It will be interesting to see if the camouflaged Mazda is the CX-50 or rumoured CX-7/70 (Japanese CX-8). Some observers think it’s a larger FWD-based vehicle.

Based on recent comments from Mazda Japan we can expect a new FWD CUV based on the new Mazda3/CX30 platform to the built in Alabama with production starting at the end of this year. It doesn't look that is the CX-5 as that is still on the older platform and it will still be built in Japan. That would line up with the camouflaged Mazda CUV which would suggest a slightly larger FWD CUV will be built in Alabama.

Continuing on, the company said that it has moved to Skyactiv Technology Phase 2 with the 2018 launch of the MAZDA3, evolving the architecture to enable multiple solutions for EVs. The MAZDA3, CX-30, and MX-30 smalls have systems that can handle 48V mild hybrids, EVs, hybrids that use rotary engines as generators, and plug-in hybrids. The "new SUV" to be produced at the plant in Alabama is also being prepared with this (engine) transversely mounted multi-solution architecture.    

It looks like it has retractable headlight washers but let's wait what the North American versions will look like...Colors, trims, wheels, interior, etc. vary from one market to another.

Some auto reviewers are panning the new look. One said it’s the first time Mazda has gone backwards in its Kuro design. I was briefly admiring my Signature front end today thinking how much I prefer it to the new one.

Back