2022 CX-5 Preferred - Bad transmission at 7.3k miles

Received an update from Mazda USA today. Transmission PN is F1Y4-03-000R-V0 and it will be a remanufactured unit, ETA is 3 weeks so probably by mid February I should have my vehicle back. I hope the remanufacturing process is not a poorly executed outsourced job.

I told the REP I'm now in lemon law territory (Based on consecutive days in the shop) and a remanufactured unit has me leaning towards some type of compensation later down the road when the dust settles. She said she would reach out to her mediation team and have a decision after my CX5 is fixed and we agree that the issue has been resolved.

Another update, found an email from Mazda USA with $150 service credit. Later got a call from them saying they gave me a courtesy gift card for my troubles and that they'll get back to me when the transmission issue gets resolved.

Remanufactured transmission showed up yesterday. Picked up car this morning and drove really good. SO picture attached.

Attachments

• A863C382-FAAA-4A1F-A5BC-F220150EF7D4.jpeg
    A863C382-FAAA-4A1F-A5BC-F220150EF7D4.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 137
Hi all. First post. I know this thread is a year old, but it looks like I am in the same situation. Our 2022 CX-5 has only 15K miles on it. The first time I took it in (@10K miles) I told the service rep about it. He said it was the turbo. I thought not, but an internet search did reveal a lot of people complaining about the loud turbo whine with these, so didn't think that much about it. That was 3 months ago, and by the time I took it in yesterday, it was worse. The service advisor again defaulted to the turbo, but this time I told him no way. Way too loud and louder than it was before. I insisted the tech drive it while performing the service we took it in for. Meanwhile, the rep gave me a 2024 Turbo with 21 miles on it for a loaner for the day. He also said to compare it to mine for the noise. It was obvious the first 100 feet, I was right, but I went back to work and waited for his call. Long story short, I'll be driving the loaner until April. The transmission is bad and will need a full replacement and they happen to be back-ordered until then. They're not sure which bearing/seal is bad, but they checked the fluid and it's got metal shards in it. So if you are hearing that whine...a quick fluid check might be a good thing to do before taking yours to your dealer/mechanic. On a side note- I asked if they would be putting a new or rebuilt transmission in, and he said new. We'll see... Anyone else going through the same thing? I sit safe to assume the fact that the transmissions are back-ordered, this is more than an acceptable level of defective transmissions. I would think so...

Hi all. First post. I know this thread is a year old, but it looks like I am in the same situation. Our 2022 CX-5 has only 15K miles on it. The first time I took it in (@10K miles) I told the service rep about it. He said it was the turbo. I thought not, but an internet search did reveal a lot of people complaining about the loud turbo whine with these, so didn't think that much about it. That was 3 months ago, and by the time I took it in yesterday, it was worse. The service advisor again defaulted to the turbo, but this time I told him no way. Way too loud and louder than it was before. I insisted the tech drive it while performing the service we took it in for. Meanwhile, the rep gave me a 2024 Turbo with 21 miles on it for a loaner for the day. He also said to compare it to mine for the noise. It was obvious the first 100 feet, I was right, but I went back to work and waited for his call. Long story short, I'll be driving the loaner until April. The transmission is bad and will need a full replacement and they happen to be back-ordered until then. They're not sure which bearing/seal is bad, but they checked the fluid and it's got metal shards in it. So if you are hearing that whine...a quick fluid check might be a good thing to do before taking yours to your dealer/mechanic. On a side note- I asked if they would be putting a new or rebuilt transmission in, and he said new. We'll see... Anyone else going through the same thing? I sit safe to assume the fact that the transmissions are back-ordered, this is more than an acceptable level of defective transmissions. I would think so...
Sounds like the same issue I had at around 10k miles. I think mine was a faulty bearing in the trans. It took a month to repair. But it's at 43k miles now and is fine

Before I start, I chatted with Teddy from this thread.

I bought my 22' Preferred NA CX5 8 months ago with 3 miles on the odometer. I broke it in properly and drove it carefully.

At around 6500 miles I had to drive to DFW from Tulsa OK for work which is roughly 4 hours. Driving down everything was fine, driving back I noticed a whine that was mostly noticeable with the radio off. I put it off as it did not impair driving the car plus I was 2.5 hours away from any dealer.

Called up my dealer which is an hour away and asked about getting a loaner as I really had no time to be down without transportation. They scheduled me a month away which was fine as I had no idea my issue was this severe and just dealt with the noise.

Dropped it off at the dealer and received a call from their master technician the following day. The technician was actually very thorough IMO, he took his time and properly diagnosed the issue. He drove the car and heard it, he put it up on the lift and gave it gas and heard it coming from the transmission. He had to call Mazda corporate and they requested a video of the noise, afterwards they approved a transmission replacement. Only issue is the trans is currently on backorder with an ETA of 3/1/2023. We'll see what happens, I'm not upset about winning the lottery on a bad transmission, its just bad luck.

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, it really is refreshing to see other trade workers taking pride in their jobs and being dedicated to their customer. I was honestly expecting a game of cat and mouse by the dealer.

Edit1: fixed link to the correct thread.
I had a 22 CE - that started to whine around 65-70 mph - didnt like it - wellat 20k miles - i traded it for a 23 premium w/ bose - no whine - possibly dodged a bullet - the 23 is silent running at any speed -

Went back to the dealer last Friday to swap loaner cars (It was due for service) and they informed me it still looks like its going to be until 3/1/23 for the trans, no updates.

Got a 23' CX5 Premium Plus as a loaner, feels weird not having the power lift gate and it being 3-4k more expensive than my 22 PFD.
? My 23 Premium has a power lift gate / and PP is one up ? non copas mentas

Back