2021 Signature Infotainment Black Out

:
Virginia
:
2021 CX-5 White
We have the 2021 Signature with the 10.25 inch display

it is my wife’s car and she was quite disappointed that the infotainment system broke. Screen was black. CarPlay Siri voice commands worked through steering wheel. Volume control knob worked with FM radio but with no screen she could not choose anything other sources because she had not memorized the screens.

She shut off the car and restarted and screen was still black. She is using a 6S with 14.8

I went out after 10 mins and the screen came up as normal. I started it twice and same result. I pulled the SD card and reseated. No effect, screen worked as normal.

Any similar experiences?

This is the second SD card. First was defective about two weeks after it was delivered and replaced on warranty. The SD card is part of the Signature package.

Many have said this infotainment blackout behavior is attributable to the Nav card contacts.

We just went to the dealer for our first service oil change and tire rotation. The dealer said first step is an infotainment update which they did. If the behavior continues, they will perform deeper diagnostics. The new system software update is 11026

The rest of the service was great. Free tire rotation free oil change. Free annual state safety inspection and of course the free multipoint inspection. Patching a tire with a nail in it cost $30.00, a little high but worth it for the convenience factor.

I've raised the same concern with my dealer. Occasional blank screen with working music via bluetooth. They performed a CMU update that they claim will fix the issue.

FYI, I've managed to dig up a reset combo that seems to works. If this happens again, place the vehicle in reverse. While in reverse, hold down navigation and mute at the same time. This somehow seems to trick the CMU to display the backup camera and restore normal screen functionality without resetting the cmu itself.

The MID system keeps rebooting itself on my CX5. It took a long time trying to load the map (20-30 secs) ... then, it rebooted itself. It took a long time again, then it rebooted itself. This could go on several times until it went OK. After a few miles of driving, it happened again when the system tries to read new map data. If you see this sort of problem .... it is likely the GPS card.

I cleaned the contacts of the SD card and tried *something* to improve the contacts. It booted up in 5 seconds. Other than that, my MID had no other issues.

it is my wife’s car and she was quite disappointed that the infotainment system broke. Screen was black. CarPlay Siri voice commands worked through steering wheel. Volume control knob worked with FM radio but with no screen she could not choose anything other sources because she had not memorized the screens.

She shut off the car and restarted and screen was still black. She is using a 6S with 14.8

I went out after 10 mins and the screen came up as normal. I started it twice and same result. I pulled the SD card and reseated. No effect, screen worked as normal.

Any similar experiences?

This is the second SD card. First was defective about two weeks after it was delivered and replaced on warranty. The SD card is part of the Signature package.
My wife came home this evening telling me the Infotainment screen went blank. Doing research on this site, I put the car in reserve and pushed down the volume button and the problem was resolved. However, this problem has been around a while, why hasn't Mazda fixed this problem? I am finding out somethings, I do not like in the CX-5.

My wife came home this evening telling me the Infotainment screen went blank. Doing research on this site, I put the car in reserve and pushed down the volume button and the problem was resolved. However, this problem has been around a while, why hasn't Mazda fixed this problem? I am finding out somethings, I do not like in the CX-5.
Because that's user error. People kept complaining that they couldn't turn off the screen, so Mazda made a way to do it and now people complain that they hold the button down and turn the screen off. There is even a little power on/off icon next to the volume control knob

Because that's user error. People kept complaining that they couldn't turn off the screen, so Mazda made a way to do it and now people complain that they hold the button down and turn the screen off. There is even a little power on/off icon next to the volume control knob
If you hold it down again will it come back on?

are any tricks for the previous infotainment version pre-2021 to turn off the screen quickly?
or just from the menu.

⋯ Screen was black. CarPlay Siri voice commands worked through steering wheel. Volume control knob worked with FM radio but with no screen she could not choose anything other sources because she had not memorized the screens.
So some functions are still working with infotainment system powered off?

Many have said this infotainment blackout behavior is attributable to the Nav card contacts.

We just went to the dealer for our first service oil change and tire rotation. The dealer said first step is an infotainment update which they did. If the behavior continues, they will perform deeper diagnostics. The new system software update is 11026
So the random blackout happened again. No screen no radio no nothing, including Nav system or CarPlay. She pulled off the road, shut the car down, restarted and same behavior, nothing. She drove home and shut off the car and restarted and it worked again.

The difference is that this time, as opposed to the first blackout instance, there was no FM radio. The system was totally dead.

I asked her about accidentally turning off the system and she said she might have because she was looking for something in her purse at a stoplight and may have brushed the center console controls or even lightly rested on the controls but she did not think she shut off the system because restarting the car on the side of the road did not reset anything. I guess I will try the eraser and alcohol cleaning SD card contacts

So the random blackout happened again. No screen no radio no nothing, including Nav system or CarPlay. She pulled off the road, shut the car down, restarted and same behavior, nothing. She drove home and shut off the car and restarted and it worked again.

The difference is that this time, as opposed to the first blackout instance, there was no FM radio. The system was totally dead.

I asked her about accidentally turning off the system and she said she might have because she was looking for something in her purse at a stoplight and may have brushed the center console controls or even lightly rested on the controls but she did not think she shut off the system because restarting the car on the side of the road did not reset anything. I guess I will try the eraser and alcohol cleaning SD card contacts
I’ve been saying this many times before, the “blackout” (or system crash) behavior on the infotainment system is caused by the hardware, not the software. Hence the software “update” usually is the waste of time. Think about it, the majority of Mazda infotainment systems with the older version software (and the same version like yours) are running fine without “blackout” or crash issue. The reason? Hardware can be unstable due to inferior quality of the components or poor connection on circuitry affected by vibration or temperature; but the software will never change. The only (and true) solution for such intermittent problem is to replace the unit.

Any similar experiences?

Something similar recently happened to me on same model [2021 CX-5 SIG] i.e. the missus came back with car & the 10.25" display stayed blank even after holding down volume, re-starting engine, putting in reverse gear [no reversing camera was what she was most concerned about]

Spoke with the dealer by phone who repeated some of above with no success and, almost as a final parting shot, asked me to try remove/reinsert a fuse in the engine compartment [with ignition off] to do a 'master reset'. There is a fuse box at the top right under bonnet/hood - when remove the fuse box cover, under cover itself there is a white fuse puller tool [and 3 spares fuses]. Use this tool to yank out the TOP LEFT fuse [narrow, white with '25' on it] - fuse looked ok to me so I re-inserted it [& replaced tool/fuse cover] and, would you adam-and-eve-it [i.e. believe], the screen worked when engine switched on :)
All car setting were unaffected by this 'reset' e.g. my preset radio stations and other settings

I noticed that the underside of the fuse box cover had embossed a summary of what the fuses did - also it didn't have a spare white fuse

First time this blank screen issue has happened since we got the car [~]11months ago [although the system has spontaneously restarted itself a handful of times, at least once when it was just playing Sirius and not connected to Andoid/Apple phone]

HTH

All car setting were unaffected by this 'reset' e.g. my preset radio stations and other settings
I may have spoken too soon that nothing changed...after my 'reset' on my CX-5 SIG, the front/rear parking beeping seems to have stopped. Also, after the next fuel refill (by attendant to first click off, no top off), now shows I have 387 miles worth of fuel - previously would only show as ~322 miles max (has it entered some sort of recalibration?)
Everything else seems as before e.g. the speed adaptive cruise control, indicators detecting other car on either side and most of the settings in the menus
Will probably contact dealer again...

I may have spoken too soon that nothing changed...after my 'reset' on my CX-5 SIG, the front/rear parking beeping seems to have stopped.

Did you try the alert sound switch on the lower left side near the TCS and trunk open switch area?

Did you try the alert sound switch on the lower left side near the TCS and trunk open switch area?
Thanks Chas, that was it. I had already figured it out but forgot to update this thread [I was previously mainly going through the menu items on the 10.25" infotainment screen]. The switch [on lower left cluster] didn't have it's yellow LED light on, so this meant the sensor is disabled [more difficult to notice that] - may have thought it worked the other way around [if sensor disabled then yellow LED should be on]
I think more embarrassing is that I did phone the dealer service dept and he didn't ask me to check this switch [so I booked the next avail appointment which was 2 weeks]

If the MID system blacks out and stays blacked out, it is more likely a hardware issue. (bad contact or connection)
Software issues likely would cause certain features to be missing or keeps rebooting itself.

Back