2021 CX-9 Changes

Picked my Kuro up yesterday. Loving the colour combo! The resolution on the 9 inch screen and 360 cameras is disappointing but otherwise, I'm loving the car. The paddle shifters are quick and the HUD and active headlights are great. I bedded in the brakes too, to help with braking performance.
Did they not put sufficiently high resolution even in the 2021 models? A high def screen with low def video feed would be unusual.

Absolutely ridiculous that Canada get the crap old system and garbage cameras. as usual, stupid Quebec is to blame, as the new system wasn’t ready for French stuff in time.

Wish they had separated, what a joke

Absolutely ridiculous that Canada get the crap old system and garbage cameras. as usual, stupid Quebec is to blame, as the new system wasn’t ready for French stuff in time.

Wish they had separated, what a joke

Doesn't the new Mazda3 and CX-30 have the new infotainment system in Quebec already? If it does I would be very surprised translation would have been the issue.

edit: yep there it is in the Mazda 3 in all its french glory

1601897976103.jpeg

Last edited:
Did anyone notice the exhaust tips on the Mazda website for the 2021,and of course the new wheels.

Yet some pics Im seeing of the carbon editions dont have this newer wheel style not the larger and different style exhaust tips.
1601920599589.png

1601920640979.png

Also, looking at that video on the carbon edition, it shows 2nd row captains without the center console? And cup holders on the bottom of the front console?
Didnt know these where options, that would be ideal for my family, compared to the bench 2nd row on our 2018 Sig. A pass through would be helpful!
1601920886829.png

The second row without center console has been available since the 2020 model.

i believe the carbon edition has it’s own distinct set of wheels. Larger exhaust tips are news to me though.

Did anyone notice the exhaust tips on the Mazda website for the 2021,and of course the new wheels.

Yet some pics Im seeing of the carbon editions dont have this newer wheel style not the larger and different style exhaust tips.
View attachment 227545
View attachment 227546

I think the newer wheel style replaces the 20" wheels that come on the Signature trim only. 2nd row captain's chairs with pass-through is an option, but the Signature gets 2nd row captain's chairs as the only option, and there is no pass-through.

When you go to MazdaUSA.com and compare trim levels, the Signature is the only trim that gets the bigger exhaust tips. All of the other trims get the standard tips.

I picked up my 2021 GT AWD Blue Ext/Sand Interior this past Saturday (Massachusetts). Just got off a 2017 lease that I extended 6 months (pandemic related and also to get a 2021).

I can confirm these new features:

-10.3" Wide screen LCD is Non Touch, resolution is crisp, esp the 360 Camera
-Latest Gen Mazda Connect
-Boots really fast and screen response is super fast
-New graphics on the Driver screens, middle LCD is adjustable
-Paddle Shifters
-360 Camera is very crisp, and has guidelines
(nice feature is if I drive close to an object in front, I get a loud beep and the front Camera turns on)
-Hands Free Liftgate
-Apple CarPlay / Android Auto standard and works very well
-Third Row USB Ports
-Wireless Charging Pad
-New MyMazda App fore remote start, lock/unlock doors, remote hazards/horn, Vehicle status (Fuel remaining, odometer, door(s) unlocked, locked, app notifications, etc)
-Not 100% sure of wheels or grille changes, or exhaust tips - (may be subtle)

Will post some pics on next posting

Hands free lift gate is present on my 2020 GT.
Thanks for sharing.

I picked up my 2021 GT AWD Blue Ext/Sand Interior this past Saturday (Massachusetts). Just got off a 2017 lease that I extended 6 months (pandemic related and also to get a 2021).

I can confirm these new features:

-10.3" Wide screen LCD is Non Touch, resolution is crisp, esp the 360 Camera
-Latest Gen Mazda Connect
-Boots really fast and screen response is super fast
-New graphics on the Driver screens, middle LCD is adjustable
-Paddle Shifters
-360 Camera is very crisp, and has guidelines
(nice feature is if I drive close to an object in front, I get a loud beep and the front Camera turns on)
-Hands Free Liftgate
-Apple CarPlay / Android Auto standard and works very well
-Third Row USB Ports
-Wireless Charging Pad
-New MyMazda App fore remote start, lock/unlock doors, remote hazards/horn, Vehicle status (Fuel remaining, odometer, door(s) unlocked, locked, app notifications, etc)
-Not 100% sure of wheels or grille changes, or exhaust tips - (may be subtle)

Will post some pics on next posting

What's up M247 fam!! Been a while...

We are shopping to replace our '18 CX9 GT and '17.5 GT M6 this month. We really like the updated changes to the CX9 lineup. Our perfect scenario would have been the '21 CX9 Signature interior on a "non-AWD" model. It's something that has us on the fence on whether we get the Sig or GT again. The leather seating new stitching and wheels on the Sig grabbed our attention, but the 2 MPG loss to the AWD may be the deal-breaker. We'll see how we decide. The M6, we may hold until the local dealers start to receive the Carbon CX5 Turbo. BTW: I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!

Where is the wireless charging pad located? Do you know if it can be added to a 2020 GT or Signature.

I don't believe the 2021 CX-5 has a wireless charger. In fact, references to wireless Apple CarPlay seem to have disappeared as well.

Wireless charging is availble for 2021 cx-9

wireless carplay as well but only available in canada.

It’s in the front center cubicle. That area hasn’t changed so it might be possible to retrofit it but i don’t know for sure yet. The part will probably be more expensive than an off the shelf Qi charger. I would think it would be easier and you could get more performance just by installing an off the shelf QI charger in the same area. (Note: it seems like the mazda maximum charging power is 15 W for fast charging).

1607950550975.png

Last edited:
Catching up on older threads. Not sure if it’s been mentioned but my Sig has angling headlights that turn in the direction of steer, as well as a really cool LED strip in the grill. I know only the Sig gets the grill LED, not sure what trims get the angling headlights, but they are excellent.

It’s in the front center cubicle. That area hasn’t changed so it might be possible to retrofit it but i don’t know for sure yet. The part will probably be more expensive than an off the shelf Qi charger. I would think it would be easier and you could get more performance just by installing an off the shelf QI charger in the same area. (Note: it seems like the mazda maximum charging power is 15 W for fast charging).

View attachment 233702
@youri Looking into installing a wireless charger, which setup did you go with?

I have not done it yet unfortunately, so can’t help with specific models. I think the most important would be to make sure the charger is not too sensitive to phone placement to make sure it keeps charging even if the phone moves a little bit.

Back