2021 CX-9 Burning oil

Agreed. No way one 8000 oci even with the worst oil would do that. That's either never changing your oil over 20-30k or a bunch of 15k oci with garbage oil. I do 5k with Kirkland 5w-30 and my engine will go way north of 300k with no problem. Why 5k OCI you ask. Because it's so dang easy that's why.

It took more than 8000 miles without an oil change to destroy this engine, but without oil changes this always happens. No warranty nor extended warranty nor manufacturer goodwill will repair this. Change the oil every 7,500 miles with top quality oil (it doesn't need to be synthetic) and quality oil filter, or every 3,000 miles with cheapo oil and filter.

You guys might have missed this part. Aside from mileage, other obvious contributors would be oil quality, climate (extreme hot/cold temps), and driving habits.

IMO 8,000 miles won’t destroy an engine like the picture showed unless a really crappy non-synthetic oil was used.

Remember Toyota has been using 10,000-miles OCI for the last many years, and with a super-thin 0W-16 oil.

UOA from Blackstone Lab frequently suggested the used oil still has another thousand mile of service life after 7,500 miles on CX-5’s 2.5L NA.
That infamous 10k Toyota oci comes with stipulations.
From Toyota:

"If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚ F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used."
A Blackstone analysis says many things but it can't see inside your engine and look at the condition of your oil rings if they're starting to coke up.

Last edited:
2021 CX-9 CE…with 54119 miles. Just topped off my oil today after 4700 miles. This is the first time I added oil under 5000 miles. I did not know about the current TSB with repairs. I read this whole thread from beginning to end. I always did 7500 miles without any consumption. When I hit almost 30k…Blackstone had me doing 9000 miles and then 11000 miles. I thought adding oil was because of my extended intervals…

8958 mile oil change; added about .5 quart
10612 mile change added about 1.25 quart

…but the last 10612 miles…I had oil ready in the trunk the whole time…and added oil 3 times. Calling both Mazda dealers in my area tomorrow

2021 CX-9 CE…with 54119 miles. Just topped off my oil today after 4700 miles. This is the first time I added oil under 5000 miles. I did not know about the current TSB with repairs. I read this whole thread from beginning to end. I always did 7500 miles without any consumption. When I hit almost 30k…Blackstone had me doing 9000 miles and then 11000 miles. I thought adding oil was because of my extended intervals…

8958 mile oil change; added about .5 quart
10612 mile change added about 1.25 quart

…but the last 10612 miles…I had oil ready in the trunk the whole time…and added oil 3 times. Calling both Mazda dealers in my area tomorrow
You need to be changing the oil in this vehicle between 3-5k miles with full synthetic if you want to have this engine and turbo last. Your extended intervals are causing premature wear and damage. Do it yourself for $35 all in with filter every 4k miles and protect your engine and wallet the way you should. No excuses it's a 15 minute DIY job

You need to be changing the oil in this vehicle between 3-5k miles with full synthetic if you want to have this engine and turbo last. Your extended intervals are causing premature wear and damage. Do it yourself for $35 all in with filter every 4k miles and protect your engine and wallet the way you should. No excuses it's a 15 minute DIY job
none of the issues the 2.5T has been having are from oil change intervals or full synth vs synth-blend or conventional. 3000 mi or 7500 mi, it will burn the same amount of oil until the fix is done (and even then that might not correct it 100%)

…Blackstone had me doing 9000 miles and then 11000 miles....
Did that advice from Blackstone include anything about exceeding your owner's manual OCI specification (by quite a bit)? Or perhaps a warning that they're not responsible for any warranty claim being denied?

none of the issues the 2.5T has been having are from oil change intervals or full synth vs synth-blend or conventional. 3000 mi or 7500 mi, it will burn the same amount of oil until the fix is done (and even then that might not correct it 100%)

It is true that there is the valve seal TSB to correct the oil burning issue but it is also true what I said about oil change intervals in these turbo engines and premature wear in general that exacerbates the problem. Oil is cheap, engines are not. You are not doing yourself any favors by extending OCI to save a few bucks when the damage is being done over time and usually after your powertrain warranty is up, leaving you high and dry with a huge repair bill and upside down in your vehicle.

Just got off the phone with my local Mazda

They’re scheduling the fix for me on Thursday and she said the car should be done Monday . She says it “should” be 3 days.
Also she said if the CX-90 is available as a loaner …it’s mine lol

Also she seems cool and fast about it…that since there’s a known TSB on it…and since my car is under 60k miles …that they’ll just write up the repair based on my word.

I used to bring my own oil to them and the Blackstone bottle when the car was still low miles. I’m glad she remembers me

It is true that there is the valve seal TSB to correct the oil burning issue but it is also true what I said about oil change intervals in these turbo engines and premature wear in general that exacerbates the problem. Oil is cheap, engines are not. You are not doing yourself any favors by extending OCI to save a few bucks when the damage is being done over time and usually after your powertrain warranty is up, leaving you high and dry with a huge repair bill and upside down in your vehicle.
in the bolded part you are again assuming that normal OCIs are damaging engines. Has there been any examples of this? I know Hyundai had some cars that they revised the OCI to 3k but I can't recall any other than that.
Going by the manufacture specified OCI is not 'extending' the interval. Hell, in Europe Mazda says to change the oil at 1 yr/12k mi (20k km). A 7500 mi OCI is actually conservative when Mazda has the same engine in the 3, 30, and 50 at a 10k OCI

in the bolded part you are again assuming that normal OCIs are damaging engines. Has there been any examples of this? I know Hyundai had some cars that they revised the OCI to 3k but I can't recall any other than that.
Going by the manufacture specified OCI is not 'extending' the interval. Hell, in Europe Mazda says to change the oil at 1 yr/12k mi (20k km). A 7500 mi OCI is actually conservative when Mazda has the same engine in the 3, 30, and 50 at a 10k OCI

I think Honda also modified the OCI for a while, to address oil dilution issues. Not sure if anything has changed since then.

Did that advice from Blackstone include anything about exceeding your owner's manual OCI specification (by quite a bit)? Or perhaps a warning that they're not responsible for any warranty claim being denied?
There is no need to change good oil, and the testing lab documentation tells if the oil "remains suitable for continued service."

I’ve been doing oil analysis with Blackstone since the E46 M3 rod bearing issue back in the day…everyone here is an adult and takes responsibility for their own actions…no need to spell it out.

Here’s a copy of my oil analysis which I also posted in the UOA thread. I also don’t like throwing good oil away either lol
49733EA6-EB6C-464C-924C-D8CDD495DB6F.jpeg

Back on topic …Mazda is seeing me on Thursday…let’s hope they fix this!

There is no need to change good oil, and the testing lab documentation tells if the oil "remains suitable for continued service."
This has nothing to do with the quality of the oil. The automaker specifies an OCI in the owners manual and/or their PCM-controlled flex interval. I've read multiple accounts from owners who could not provide oil change records which met those requirements, and were denied warranty coverage. That's what I'm talking about.

This thread has been a godsend. I'm contemplating buying my lease soon -- a solid car, new cars are stupid $. Is the TSB under the powertrain warranty or the bumper to bumper new vehicle warranty? There's a reason I'm asking since the TSB requires the engine light to be on with the right code in order to get the fix:

I had the light come on first time summer of 22. Dealer saw no leaks, replaced oil. Since then if the light came on I topped off the oil, but more often than not topped it off well before then as I check the oil religiously now. Just took a 1,000 mile trip and that should have tripped the trigger, but nope, the oil is at the same level pre and post trip! WTH? At about 900-1,100 miles I ALWAYS have to add oil.

So what do I do approaching lease end? Drain oil to trigger the code for the TSB? If this issue is under the powertrain warranty maybe I just wait until it naturally trips again?

This thread has been a godsend. I'm contemplating buying my lease soon -- a solid car, new cars are stupid $. Is the TSB under the powertrain warranty or the bumper to bumper new vehicle warranty? There's a reason I'm asking since the TSB requires the engine light to be on with the right code in order to get the fix:

I had the light come on first time summer of 22. Dealer saw no leaks, replaced oil. Since then if the light came on I topped off the oil, but more often than not topped it off well before then as I check the oil religiously now. Just took a 1,000 mile trip and that should have tripped the trigger, but nope, the oil is at the same level pre and post trip! WTH? At about 900-1,100 miles I ALWAYS have to add oil.

So what do I do approaching lease end? Drain oil to trigger the code for the TSB? If this issue is under the powertrain warranty maybe I just wait until it naturally trips again?

I believe if the low oil level light has come on, then a code is stored in the ECU. The dealership probably cleared the code when you had it checked before, but if it has come on since going back to the dealership, then you should be eligible for TSB. If you have a record of dates/quantities you've had to top up it may help your case. If this is your second time back for the same issue, then they really should take care of it!

Back