2021 CX-5 Grand Touring AC Issue?

The first thing I would do is turn the temp. down to 60. Leave it on Auto. Then press the Sync button. Then turn up + the fan speed. Take it from there!!! If that doesn't work you have a problem.

Hi. My daughter has a new 2021 CX-5 GT and called telling me her AC was not working. She is 4 hours away and has no car experience so I asked her to send me a picture of what the AC controls looked like. I attached the picture. She said she hit everything she could to try and see if she could get it come on and nothing worked. She restarted the car and said it started working again but said she had done that numerous times. Now I can't be sure what she actually tried or didn't try and all I have to go in is the picture. Do you see anything in the picture that doesn't look right that she might have hit to make it stop working or why it would not be blowing if this was how it looked at the time? She said it wasn't blowing or doing any thing as if it was off. I thought maybe she hit the fan down button but the auto light is on. Any known issues with these doing that and how to address? I'm just trying to get an idea if this is a problem she needs to have checked or an accident on her part as I'm nowhere close to help her.

Thanks for any help.
either turn up the fan on or reduce the temperature

...backing out Mazda Corporate's current gross profit margin of roughly 21%...
That's a poor measure of the cost to produce a good since it leaves out many costs of operating the business. Free cash flow as a percent of revenue would be better especially with an automaker with high capital expenditures which are not accounted for in gross margin.

The cost to build and outfit the factory, among other costs not accounted for in gross margin, is part of the cost to produce vehicles, is it not?

That said, the margins that go into a base vehicle are the narrowest; as a general rule margins get wider as you move up with options and trims. You'd need a Mazda accountant to get some idea of the actual cost produce any one upgraded opponent. However, I think it is safe to say the climate control upgrade cost of production is well south of $1,000.

As for the OP issue, to say it's a failure to adequately test is off the mark if the vast majority of owners do not experience the problem. It would appear to be a manufacturing problem, a quality control problem, a bad part or an error in assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a poor measure of the cost to produce a good since it leaves out many costs of operating the business. Free cash flow as a percent of revenue would be better especially with an automaker with high capital expenditures which are not accounted for in gross margin.

The cost to build and outfit the factory, among other costs not accounted for in gross margin, is part of the cost to produce vehicles, is it not?

That said, the margins that go into a base vehicle are the narrowest; as a general rule margins get wider as you move up with options and trims. You'd need a Mazda accountant to get some idea of the actual cost produce any one upgraded opponent. However, I think it is safe to say the climate control upgrade cost of production is well south of $1,000.

As for the OP issue, to say it's a failure to adequately test is off the mark if the vast majority of owners do not experience the problem. It would appear to be a manufacturing problem, a quality control problem, a bad part or an error in assembly.
Poor measure? We were discussing specific cost of an individual component, which falls above the gross profit line. At any rate, even if using MSRP, that would be the auto climate upgrade at close to 5% of the total selling price, again highly unlikely as you agreed to eventually.

Thanks for your usual judgmental responses without actually comprehending the initial statement.

Poor measure? We were discussing specific cost of an individual component, which falls above the gross profit line. At any rate, even if using MSRP, that would be the auto climate upgrade at close to 5% of the total selling price, again highly unlikely as you agreed to eventually.

Thanks for your usual judgmental responses without actually comprehending the initial statement.
Judgmental could be your middle name in abiding no objections. You, not "we", are talking about incremental cost above the gross profit line. Your math is simply wrong in failing to consider all-in cost. While your conclusion might be correct, the way you arrived at is not. A happy accident we might say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judgmental could be your middle name in abiding no objections. You, not "we", are talking about incremental cost above the gross profit line. Your math is simply wrong in failing to consider all-in cost. While your conclusion might be correct, the way you arrived at is not. A happy accident we might say.
If you say so. I’m not going to bother trying to discuss anything with you further.

Back