2021 CX-5: Flexible OCI parameters?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Is there any documentation on what parameters are used to set the Oil change interval on late model Mazdas?

I dont think the algorithm is official on what parameters Mazda looks at but I may be wrong.

Apart from that, some of the parameters that exist in the computer are:
miles driven, time since last oil change, engine idle time since last start (i.e car sitting but running engine), time since last engine start, time driving not idling, the usual like temperature of oil, oil pressure, the oil level in the sump, all the temperatures of air- in engine, outside, coolant, etc.
Which ones Mazda takes into account I dont know.

I know more now than I did before. Thanks cz5gt. Now if anyone can validate what MAZDA parameters are used. Ed

Is there any documentation on what parameters are used to set the Oil change interval on late model Mazdas?
I believe Mazda’s oil life monitor is similar to many other OLM systems used by different car manufactures but the parameter settings in software are proprietary information unless Mazda releases them.

“Oil Life Monitor(OLM) system is not a mileage counter. It is actually a computer based software algorithm that determines when to change oil based on engine operating conditions. There is no actual oil condition sensor. Rather, the computer continuously monitors engine-operating conditions to determine when to change oil.”

GM Recalibrates Oil Life Monitoring System for 2013 and Newer Models

I’m not aware of any mfg who publishes any hard info on how their OLM works. The Mazda system is unusual in taking into account calendar time. (Many of us have noted the “miles until next service” drop much faster than the actual miles driven in low utilization situations.)

- Mark

I’m not aware of any mfg who publishes any hard info on how their OLM works. The Mazda system is unusual in taking into account calendar time. (Many of us have noted the “miles until next service” drop much faster than the actual miles driven in low utilization situations.)

- Mark
“With the introduction of the 2013 models (including Equinox, Cruze, Silverado, Acadia, Terrain, and Verano) GM has re-calibrated their system to include a mileage parameter. It works just like it did before but when the vehicle has gone 5000 miles since the previous oil change the system jumps from whatever the percentage was to 20% oil life remaining. GM did not get specific on why they made this change but it can be inferred that they have determined that the longer oil change intervals must have had a negative impact on long term engine performance and customer satisfaction.”

This just shows each car manufacture has its agenda to set up different parameters on OLM software. Most likely those OLM softwares are design some third party company features many parameters to twit. When Mazda just added Flexible OCI for 2016 MY, one of the bugs is when the 12 months duration passed, the OLM failed to display the notification if the miles accumulated is approaching 10,000 miles (Flexible OCI for 2016 MY CX-5 is 10,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first). Mazda put out a TSB which updates the PCM to fix the following bugs:

• The oil change due notification does notcome on, even after mileage exceeded 10,000 miles.

• Oil life in the center display is still less than 40% even though the mileage exceeded 7,000 miles.

TSB No.: 01-008/19 ENGINE OIL FLEXIBLE MAINTENANCE NOTIFICATION DOES NOT WORK

7224BA1E-3175-42C3-BEE5-FA1CB8546E77.jpeg

TSB No.: 01-008/19 ENGINE OIL FLEXIBLE MAINTENANCE NOTIFICATION DOES NOT WORK

Be aware that “this repair will be covered under Mazda’s Federal Emission Warranty (long term) or Calif. PZEV Emission Warranty.

So many 2016 CX-5 owners should be able to get free PCM update based on this TSB as this repair is covered under Federal Emission Defect Warranty which is 96 months or 80,000 miles whichever comes first.

Back