2020 Jan map available...

I've only had my CX-5 for less than two months, so newbie question. I noticed on the dropdown lists that the GT - Reserve is not listed as a trim level. Would I use Signature or the GT? Seems like the Sig and Res should have the same infotainment/nav system.

I've only had my CX-5 for less than two months, so newbie question. I noticed on the dropdown lists that the GT - Reserve is not listed as a trim level. Would I use Signature or the GT? Seems like the Sig and Res should have the same infotainment/nav system.
i will use Sig. that"s just my own like. i assume map (provided by "Here") is the same for all of them, i could be wrong.

Last edited:
Just installed the 1/2020 maps and noticed the statement on the Mazda Toolbox screen as I was downloading the maps. "Map of North America Expiration: 5.24.2022". That would be the 3rd anniversary of my purchase. So far, so good. But my question is - does this mean the maps will "expire" (not work) or just the update subscription ends?

Last edited:
Just installed the 1/2020 maps and noticed the statement on the Mazda Toolbox screen as I was downloading the maps. "Map of North America Expiration: 5.24.2022". This would be the 3rd anniversary of my purchase. So far, so good. But my question is - does this mean the maps will "expire" (not work) or just the update subscription ends?

The maps will continue to work. You'll just stop getting free updates.

It looks like Mazda Toolbox reads the VIN off the SD card & downloads whatever it correlates to your VIN so you don't have to select a model option. It knows based on the VIN. I assume the NA maps are the same across all trim levels anyway.

It looks like Mazda Toolbox reads the VIN off the SD card & downloads whatever it correlates to your VIN so you don't have to select a model option. It knows based on the VIN. I assume the NA maps are the same across all trim levels anyway.
I know that maps are the same for 3rd generation Mazda3, 4th generation (ND) Miatas, 2nd generation CX-9s, and 2nd generation (KF) CX-5s.
I've had at least 2 Mazdas at the same time since 2014.
Once I download the maps and update the first SD card, the second SD cards uses the same maps as the first. No second download.

the link i provided is a Canada link.
1578718855024.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here is the USA link
there is GT-Reserve in the drop down list.
trims.jpg

Last edited:
Done! Extremely simple process. No need to pay a dealer to do this for you. Took about 30 minutes to download and install. Up to date now with a subscription till 01/11/2023.

Last edited:
Do the traffic updates come for only 3 years on the new car? These are coming from Sirius XM ?

I'll have to go to the library to do this. Living in the sticks means substandard internet access...slow speeds and limited high bandwidth.

I'll have to go to the library to do this. Living in the sticks means substandard internet access...slow speeds and limited high bandwidth.
Just suggesting that you might wish to check with your library first as the Mazda Toolbox will need to be downloaded to their computer and they might not allow downloads for security reasons? Don't want you to have a wasted journey.:)

Public PCs for downloading executable files...bad idea at any rate whether they allow it or not. What sort of virus scanning is being done on any given library computer?? Best accomplish this via a friend or relative whose got some type of a 'clean' computer. This is how infections spread.

I'm thinking AD is going to use his own laptop at the library and their Wi-Fi to get the speed and bandwidth needed. What say you Mr. Deer?

I think the limiting factor is not your internet connection speed. It took me almost an hour to download using Toolbox over my 120Mbps connection. Not much else going on. I'll guarantee you will have a much slower effective connection speed using any public facility. The real bottleneck is on the Mazda end.

it took me 9 min to download, and 12 min to installed the map, after the toolbox installed.
the only things we can do for a better download speed are our own gears, like better router, better desktop / laptop, and the service plan over 320 Mbps of download speed is better, use the "Ethernet" rather than "WiFi" connection, the rest of other factors are beyond our control.

Back