2020 CX-5, way to disable "Engine Harmonics Enhancer" (Fake Engine Noise)?

:
2005 Mazda3
Hey guys, I was curious to know, for those with Model Year 2020 (as only this year started to receive this feature, and for the turbo models only) GT-R and Signature's, is there an option to disable the "Engine Harmonics Enhancer" (also known as fake engine noise)?

As featured and mentioned in the press release for the 2020's:

Engine Harmonics Enhancer, increased maximum torque and off-road traction assist headline enhancements to turbocharged CX-5 with i-Activ all-wheel drive

I was just curious as I haven't seen a thread brought up on disabling it yet.

================

Edit: I thought it was common knowledge, but some posters seem to be confused about what the "Engine Harmonics Enhancer" is... it is fake engine noise, trademarked and patented "technology" by Bose sound:

Anyone trying to argue otherwise is misinformed and you don't know what you're talking about.. case closed, there is nothing more to question, ponder, wonder, or argue about! No it does not add torque, no it does not give you hill assist... it is fake engine noise playing through the speakers, other manufacturers using Bose has licensed this as well, not just Mazda. I thought most people knew what the "Engine Harmonics Enhancer"(It's from Bose-the speaker company) was, but I guess not, well for those of you who didn't, now you know.

Engine Harmonics Enhancer= simulated/fake engine noise being "enhanced"/played through the cabin speakers as you drive. It is a "technology" feature that Bose offers to manufactures and Mazda clearly states that it uses it in the 2020 Model Year for the Turbo versions.

Below in a post I further explain how it works, MANY automakers are doing it and it keeps growing in popularity, I thought most consumers knew about this but apparently not:

The sound "enhancements" are just pumped into the cabin from the speakers by simulation. Essentially they record the audio of an engine accelerating through the rpm ranges and replay that audio as you accelerate to the correlating rpm's..... sometimes it is not even the same engine that is being recorded for audio reference, I recall VW using their 5-cylinder for recording the source audio, and then playing this audio for the 4 cylinder, as the 5-cylinder sounds more aggressive/"sporty".

On the bright side, every single video review I've seen of the 2020 CX-5 turbo models, the fake engine noise seemed rather subtle/modest compared to other manufacturers who utilize this, so it may not be too obtrusive, but it's still there none-the-less and I rather have the option to turn it off.

Last edited:
"Engine Harmonics Enhancer, increased maximum torque ..."

I don't think this is what you think it is.

I think he might be right re: fake engine sound.
I quickly googled "Mazda Engine Harmonics Enhancer", and it all points to Mazda giving the turbo version a better engine sound.
Some reviews just mention it as an enhanced (tuned) sound, while others put the fake label on it.
It would be nice to get 100% confirmation on what exactly Mazda means by that phrase, and what they did.
I'll keep googling.

Well guys, MAZDA says it increases max torque. Pretty well straight up. What more do you want?

Other Mazdas (and Mustangs) have an Intake Sound Enhancer. That's a bit of B.S. for sound.

The exact bullet is:
Engine Harmonics Enhancer, increased maximum torque and off-road traction assist headline enhancements to turbocharged CX-5 with i-Activ all-wheel drive
That is a list of things. Torque has nothing to do with the harmonics enhancer - they are two separate enhancements for 2020.

Well guys, MAZDA says it increases max torque. Pretty well straight up. What more do you want?
I am pretty sure the sentence quoted by the OP is referring to three different enhancements:
1. Engine harmonics enhancer (“...a new Engine Harmonics Enhancer that tunes to the engine with a much more refined and powerful sound.”)
2. Increased maximum torque (“...on premium (93 octane) fuel the turbo engine in the CX-5 delivers an impressive 250 horsepower and a robust 320 lb-ft of torque; an increase of 10 lb-ft of torque over the outgoing model year.”)
3. Off-road traction assist (“Another all-new feature on the 2020 CX-5 is off-road traction assist,...”)

"Engine Harmonics Enhancer, increased maximum torque ..."

I don't think this is what you think it is.

I can't believe you brought this up. You are completely mistaken, and I say this respectfully as I'm trying to be polite since you didn't know-nothing wrong with not knowing. So I have broke it all down for you below.

The press release was stating each individually on that line:

Broken down by feature (yes, each one is different and there is no mistaking that if you followed the CX-5):

-Engine Harmonics Enhancer (trade marked by Bose, aka fake engine noise)
-Max torque was increased(310lbs to 320 lbs),
-Off road traction assist feature was added(this was due to the diagonal off road test where it failed previously.. so they added this feature)

All three of these were added to the turbo models. If you follow the CX-5, you would have known these are separate "features", but they put it all in one line for the press release, so I'll blame Mazda for poorly presenting it, making it look like one line, which I can understand why you would have mistaken that.

That's that, you were mistaken and I just took the time to clarify this.

Last edited:
I wonder what it sounds like, and can you adjust or tweek it?

From all the reviews I've seen on youtube where people are driving it, it does seem like the fake engine noise is rather subtle and more subdued compared to other manufacturers who utilize it... it was probably added as a feature since Mazda added more NVH insulation on the 2020 making it too quiet for their tastes and wanted the cabin to be able to hear some engine noise for a more sporty note.

As for adjusting or tweaking it, I don't know if they give you an option, I'm wondering the same, worse case scenario I might stop by the dealership to play around with it.

See if you can make a video or something.

What about the sound outside? Maybe some subwoofers in the bottom body panels?

A new age in the automotive experience, at least to me.

See if you can make a video or something.

What about the sound outside? Maybe some subwoofers in the bottom body panels?

A new age in the automotive experience, at least to me.

Definitely no subwoofers on the outside. The sound "enhancements" are just pumped into the cabin from the speakers by simulation. Essentially they record the audio of an engine accelerating through the rpm ranges and replay that audio as you accelerate to the correlating rpm's..... sometimes it is not even the same engine that is being recorded for audio reference, I recall VW using their 5-cylinder for recording the source audio, and then playing this audio for the 4 cylinder, as the 5-cylinder sounds more aggressive/"sporty".

Many, almost all the manufacturers do this by now(if they haven't they probably will soon) for certain models in their lineup. VW, Ford, BMW, Audi, and Porsche to name a few already do this... I know on VW's you can tweak(even delete/disable) the fake engine noise with the VCDS tool. These days some cabins are so quiet, that manufacturers play fake engine noise through the speakers as you accelerate so you can "hear" the engine, for me personally, I'm ok with a quiet cabin, but for some, some enjoy hearing a grunty engine as they drive for some added "sportiness".

Last edited:
Well, these have been around for a while:

I guess I'm old school, but the last thing I want in my car is in-cabin fake engine noises.
I don't like how noisy my car is now, and they want to make it worse?

Who asked for this, and why did they think it was a good idea?

Mazda was for years criticized by buyers and media (and by people on this forum) for not being quiet enough.

They made a conscious effort over the last few years to deaden the road and cabin noise with more sound insulation and thicker glass, and now they're pumping up the noise level with fake engine noises?
I would seriously strike Mazda off my buying list if this is true, and if it can't be disabled.
Give me a bloody break.

I would really like the ability to select the sound. One day a throaty V8, another a high reviving racing 4 cylinder, and then the sound of a Rolls. At a stoplight, you open the window..turn up the volume for the V8 and give it some gas. LOL

The newer version Soundracer lets you select from several engine types.

I wonder what size of woofer you can mount in the underbody plastic panels?

I would really like the ability to select the sound. One day a throaty V8, another a high reviving racing 4 cylinder, and then the sound of a Rolls. At a stoplight, you open the window..turn up the volume for the V8 and give it some gas. LOL
What does a Rolls sound like?

Back