2020 AWD Transmission Question

When I go through a parking at very low speeds my AWD trans has a slight repetitive jerk.
Is that normal?

Thanks in advance

How do u know this but the dealership doesn’t, crazy…..thanks again
Did you have the TSB applied already? Did it fix the problem? If not you may want to hold off on those thanks.

That TSB came to my attention over a year ago where it was discussed at length in a couple of other threads. If you did a search in this forum on the Bulletin No. you'd probably hit on those threads.

My chief complaint was lugging. I think I encountered the described problem only once, but reckoned the PCM update might help with lugging. It did. That dealership applied it with no questions asked. I have no idea if the guy writing up the service order was previously aware of it. The lugging is much less frequent now and when it happens it is pretty subtle.

Across years and models and trims, the number of TSBs that address specific problems run in the hundreds if not thousands for any make. I would not expect anybody writing up a service order to have them all memorized.

My complaints about dealer service over 40 years are few and far between, actually only one of particular note.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could very well be the TC locking and unlocking. Mine has done this from day one. Ed
You're not the only 2021 owner with this issue, including those with NAs going back to earlier threads. I'd check back on this TSB periodically since more years and VINs may be added as time ticks by. In fact, I don't know if the version I posted is the most current--I just pulled it off my hard drive where it was saved over a year ago.

Well the explanation I got from the chief mechanic is that it’s because of the AWD the wheels are working individually to grab the surface I kid you not. So this is an ongoing problem .
I’m done with AWD and I am honestly one way or another trying to get out of this vehicle.
Im a fan of Mazda but not AWD and for the life of me I don’t know why they are going to strictly AWD on all their CX-5’s

Well the explanation I got from the chief mechanic is that it’s because of the AWD the wheels are working individually to grab the surface I kid you not. So this is an ongoing problem .
I’m done with AWD and I am honestly one way or another trying to get out of this vehicle.
Im a fan of Mazda but not AWD and for the life of me I don’t know why they are going to strictly AWD on all their CX-5’s
To repeat: Did you have the TSB applied already? Did it fix the problem?

They probably discontinued FWD in the US because of 1) low demand, 2) having only one trans provides an incremental cost saving on the AWD and 3) they rightly assessed because they can. 2022 US sales volume of CX-5 in AWD only are on track for another record year. It also raises the base price point with a feature that adds extra margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
To repeat: Did you have the TSB applied already? Did it fix the problem?

They probably discontinued FWD in the US because of 1) low demand, 2) having only one trans provides an incremental cost saving on the AWD and 3) they rightly assessed because they can. 2022 US sales volume of CX-5 in AWD only are on track for another record year. It also raises the base price point with a feature that adds extra margin.
No it didn’t fix it
thanks for the explanation

I do have one more question. The handling in the 2020 AWD seems to be more responsive than my 2017 CX-5 FWD. Your opinion please thanks

I do have one more question. The handling in the 2020 AWD seems to be more responsive than my 2017 CX-5 FWD. Your opinion please thanks
If you're asking me I cannot compare the two vehicles. For what the 2020 AWD happens to be, a CUV/SUV @ $30,000 give or take, I can't imagine the handling being much better in any make. Reviewers seem to agree.

I do have one more question. The handling in the 2020 AWD seems to be more responsive than my 2017 CX-5 FWD. Your opinion please
your answer is in this video. yes it is a cx-50 video. just watch it

Back