2019 Oil Change - Fumoto Plug

Have a 2019 CX-9 with 4K miles. About to perform the 1st oil change. Was planning on installing a Fumoto valve; however, Fumoto website doesn't list a specific valve for the 2019 CX-9. Anyone installed a Fumoto Valve on a 2019 CX-9? Don't know if the overlying plastic cover will fit in place with Fumoto valve installed.

Thanks for the help. Chad.

The plastic cover should not interfere with the valve. Skip to the 6-minute mark of this video:

Since the drain plug is screwed in from the side and not from the bottom, it should not contact the cover when you reattach it. That said, even if it does, you could always just cut a hole to accommodate it, or take a heat gun to the plastic cover to soften and mold the plastic to accommodate the valve.

Just a quick comment about the video showing the oil change. It shows the OEM filter being replaced by a fram filter. Mazda stated to me that if something other than the OEM filter is used they will not warranty the motor. Mazda makes 2 filters that fit the 2.5. If you look at the OEM filter on the car you will notice the filter has 2 white strips. that is the filer for the turbo motor. The other filter has 1 strip. That filter is used on the non turbo motor. The filter for the turbo increases oil pressure at start up and warm up to help protect the turbo.

With all my cars I always bring my own oil and filter. I wonder if I should use the oem filter from the dealer for my first oil change. Whats everybody else doing?

With all my cars I always bring my own oil and filter. I wonder if I should use the oem filter from the dealer for my first oil change. Whats everybody else doing?

Here's a notation I found in the owner's manual:

If you elect to perform maintenance yourself or have your vehicle serviced at a location other than an Authorized Mazda Dealer, Mazda requires that all fluids, parts and materials must meet Mazda standards for durability and performance as described in this manual.

I don't know what Mazda's standards are for durability and performance with regard to the oil filter, so I just use the OEM oil filters that I buy from my local dealer. To my understanding, there are 3 filters available, one made in Mexico, another made in Thailand, and another made in Japan. Apparently the "best" filter of the three is the Japan-made one, followed by the one made in Thailand.

Oil filters are one of the engine parts where the specs are not published. It's not like oil where the engine uses oil that meets industry standard specifications.

Filter makers reverse engineer the original equipment filters. They may make a new filter to work with that engine, or they may take one from their catalog that they feel is close enough. In any case, if the filter causes engine damage the filter maker is always responsible. If any aftermarket item causes damage don't even think the warranty will cover that damage. I buy oil filters from the dealer (or maybe the same part number filter cheaper from an ebay or Amazon seller). If you use an aftermarket filter and have engine damage during the warranty period (unlikely but possible), it will be your job to prove to Mazda North America that the filter didn't cause it. Good luck.

Have a 2019 CX-9 with 4K miles. About to perform the 1st oil change. Was planning on installing a Fumoto valve; however, Fumoto website doesn't list a specific valve for the 2019 CX-9. Anyone installed a Fumoto Valve on a 2019 CX-9? Don't know if the overlying plastic cover will fit in place with Fumoto valve installed.

Thanks for the help. Chad.

I have been using Fumoto F106SX M14-1.5 XS series valve on my 2017 CX-9 GT since March 2018. No issues so far. The value is touching the plastic cover a little bit. Nothing to worry about.

I'm using the Fumoto F106N on both my Mazda6 and CX-9 (both 2016). The valve doesn't touch the cover at all. I tried the F106SX series at first, but it seemed too big and bulky to me so I swapped it for the F106N.

I really like the N version as I can attach a plastic tube to the nipple and drain straight into an old 5 qt oil bottle. I've had the CX-9 one on there for almost 2 years and Mazda6 one one for just over 1 year and so far no issues with either.

Edit: I always use the OEM filter. The MSRP for the CX-9 OEM filter is only ~$8.75 I think and is really high quality (especially the Tokyo Roki version, PY8W-14-302), so really no reason to buy aftermarket. I've heard that the Skyactiv filters have a special bypass or something that only one or two aftermarket filters (Wix I think?) replicate.

Last edited:
The valve fits under the plastic cover, my cx-9 is a 2016 but I got the 2017 version.... The 2019 is exactly the same as 2016-2019 so choose those.

I've heard that the Skyactiv filters have a special bypass or something that only one or two aftermarket filters (Wix I think?) replicate.
Bypasses inside oil filters are common. Cold, thick oil can't move through the fine pores of the filter media without the risk of tearing the media, so a bypass valve lets it pass when a certain differential pressure is exceeded. WIX lists the bypass setting of their 57002 oil filter for our engines as having a bypass valve that opens at 11 to 14 psid...when the inlet pressure is 11 to 14 psi greater than the outlet, the bypass opens--maybe begins to open at 11 psid and is fully open at 14 psid. That's pounds per square inch differential; the difference between the inlet and the outlet, not the absolute pressure. It is more important that the engine get the full flow of oil from the oil pump than it is that the oil be filtered at that time.

It is the other way around, Mazda USA needs to prove that the aftermarket oil filter caused the engine problem. Car manufacturers can't deny you warranty claim for using aftermarket oil filter especially if you used/installed it properly. Tuning or installing performance parts will definitely void your warranty.

Lem, if Mazda USA just stonewalls your warranty claim, what are you going to do? Your legal fees can exceed the cost of a new engine. A Mazda oil filter costs no more than any good filter. Order on line and the postman will deliver one to you.

"Mazda requires that all fluids, parts and materials must meet Mazda standards...."
We don't know what the standards are for oil filters, therefore we cannot be sure the aftermarket filter we use meets them. Legally the aftermarket filter maker would be responsible, but again, how do we accomplish that?

Lem, if Mazda USA just stonewalls your warranty claim, what are you going to do?

Magnuson-Mass Warranty Act. SEMA is a trade association for aftermarket automotive parts, and their livelihood requires that they not be unfairly shut out of the parts business. They lobbied Congress long ago and this is the law.

The manufacturer normally won't fight something like this, unless the part clearly did not meet specs. Dealerships are only as good as the dumbest turd making decisions, though, so you could end up in a fight with them - but they also rely on word-of-mouth for sales, and warranty work is ultimately underwritten by the factory. It's not their dime.

Back