2019 Mazda3 sedan wiper failure

:
‘17 CX9 & ‘19 3 GT
Have a 2019 Mazda3 GT (FWD) and have had it for just over a year with 11K Kms and this AM when I used the windshield wipers to wash the windshield, it did spray and wiped the windshield properly. Then tried it again (for a cleaner windshield) but the driver side stayed after 1 pass and wouldn’t go back to rest position.

After stopping at a gas station to refuel, I placed the driver side wiper arm to “rest position” and when I clicked the mist wipe feature only the passenger side wiped. Not sure if this is a known or common issue but I have a service appt booked next week to look/repair it. Am pretty sure it’ll be covered under warranty…anyone else experienced this issue?

This may not be the same problem, but I found it in a different forum

1.) Your home or "park" position may be incorrect making the wipers think they are at their starting point 3/4 down, like you state. Turn the car on and make sure the wiper are at their resting position. Then pop the wiper covers loosen the nuts holding the blades, remove the wipers and re-position, on my Mazda 3 my start position is where the black frame tint and clear glass meet at the bottom of the windshield. (should take 10 minutes max with the right tool)

2.) You may have issues with your wiper transmission and or crank arm (which is connected to the wiper motor underbelly) being in the wrong clock position. Make sure the arms joints are lubricated and that they rotate in the proper orientation. Keep in mind the arms need some "play" or move-ability but they shouldn't be rattling, shuttering, or clinking. In any case you may need to fiddle with arms and do some digging this may take you a bit longer around 30-??? minutes depending on what you find.

I highly doubt your issue is electrical as your wiper motor has power, the Body control module that I mentioned earlier involves motor power/actuation, seeing the motor activates and has power I wouldn't start there.

This may not be the same problem, but I found it in a different forum
Unfortunately not the same issue as it seems the motor has failed as the wiper arm (driver side) won’t even move regardless of its position (currently at rest position) only passenger side wipes

Ah, so it could be a loose linkage. Can you take a look at the mechanical linkages? I doubt that there are two motors, one for each side.

After careful DIY inspection and per service advisor’s suggestion, turned out it was a loose linkage on the wiper driver’s side and not a defective wiper motor (thank goodness) saved a trip to the service dept! Learned something new here…

Ah, that's what I thought. Wiper motors can last a long time unless you live in Seattle. :)

Ah, that's what I thought. Wiper motors can last a long time unless you live in Seattle. :)
Yeah it was actually a relief as I’d rather have this issue than the wiper motor going bad esp after only more than a year into ownership though it’s still covered under warranty I just don’t like dealing with the hassle and extra trip to the dealership!

That would've been an extremely rare occurrence! I once owned a 1989 Mazda MX5 GT Turbo until 2014 and its wipers were still perfect. Granted, we don't get any rain from April until November here in Southern Cali.......:)

That would've been an extremely rare occurrence! I once owned a 1989 Mazda MX5 GT Turbo until 2014 and its wipers were still perfect. Granted, we don't get any rain from April until November here in Southern Cali.......:)
You mean the wiper motor and not the wiper blades right? HA!

The number one reason that wiper motors go bad is from worn out wiper blades and arms. The next reason is using some ultra-wiper blades that has more drag on the motor that was not really intended for that use of blades.

Yes, the wiper motor never failed. The last blades I installed were silicone blades from Tirerack. They tend to last a long time.

Yes, the wiper motor never failed. The last blades I installed were silicone blades from Tirerack. They tend to last a long time.
I buy inexpensive but medium quality Motium wiper blades and replace them at least every 4 months or when they start to perform less. I have just come to realize that all the high-quality wipers still become less efficient in only a few months. Even not using them does not extend the performance life.

Have you tried silicone blades? Silicone has a much wider temperature range than does most other elastomers.

Have you tried silicone blades? Silicone has a much wider temperature range than does most other elastomers.
Yes.
Over the years I may have tried every new wiper that has ever come on the market, even those stupid triple blade wiper motor killers in the 80"s. For the longest time I adamantly used only BOSCH wipers but eventually found frequent changes and spending less money on supposed high quality wipers worked better for me.

The problem is that the windshield glass slowly gets deposits that most never see, and this prematurely reduces the life of wipers and also contributes to what some seem to think are poor quality wiper. About the only way to get the glass truly clean is with special glass polish (cerium Oxide) or by carefully using a single edge razor and by using a pattern from top to bottom and across removing the buildup.

You can experiment to see that even your glass has it by carefully trying the single edge blade on a test area of your windshield. The important areas are also where the wipers come to rest which is so often overlooked.

Back