2019 CX-5 Signature VS 2021 CX-5 Signature Handling

:
Virginia
:
2021 CX-5 White
Interesting observation between back to back driving of my wife's 2021 CX-5 Signature with 4K miles on it and my son's 2019 CX-5 Signature with 40K miles on it. Both are stock with original tires, potentially different gas in it, 91 octane premium in the 2021 and 93 octane Sunoco in the 2019. Is this because the car "learns" driving styles? I cannot believe, however, that ECU learning extends to suspension in this car. Can engine and transmission responsiveness change how the suspension seems to handle the road?

BACKGROUND Having to borrow my son's car for a few errands, and then driving my wife's car over the same dry roads and some similar to same routes, back to back, there was a noticeable difference in the 2019 ride and handling for the better. It was almost as if we were driving in the 2021 Sport Mode as far as engine and transmission responsiveness, but also surprising was the 2019 tighter feeling suspension, and the seeming ability to control bumps and swaying more than the 2021.

The 2019 was tighter, in all respects, as far as ride, handling around corners, and engine/transmission responsiveness. The best way that I can describe the 2021 experience after spending a some hours riding and driving in a 2021 FWD RAV4, is the 2021 was driving much more like the Toyota. This is not to say that the 2021 was loose, for example, in steering. The 2021 steering was tight and high effort as I would expect from a Mazda, it is just that the 2021 did not feel as integrated as when driving the 2019. The 2019 seemed more controlled in ride, more responsive in steering and direction changes.

Comments?
What am I observing, just unit to unit sample variation?
Better tire response because he is down to about 4/32?
Or is it because my son likes to "move out" and wife drives like the proverbial "grandma"?

Interesting observation between back to back driving of my wife's 2021 CX-5 Signature with 4K miles on it and my son's 2019 CX-5 Signature with 40K miles on it. Both are stock with original tires, potentially different gas in it, 91 octane premium in the 2021 and 93 octane Sunoco in the 2019. Is this because the car "learns" driving styles? I cannot believe, however, that ECU learning extends to suspension in this car. Can engine and transmission responsiveness change how the suspension seems to handle the road?

BACKGROUND Having to borrow my son's car for a few errands, and then driving my wife's car over the same dry roads and some similar to same routes, back to back, there was a noticeable difference in the 2019 ride and handling for the better. It was almost as if we were driving in the 2021 Sport Mode as far as engine and transmission responsiveness, but also surprising was the 2019 tighter feeling suspension, and the seeming ability to control bumps and swaying more than the 2021.

The 2019 was tighter, in all respects, as far as ride, handling around corners, and engine/transmission responsiveness. The best way that I can describe the 2021 experience after spending a some hours riding and driving in a 2021 FWD RAV4, is the 2021 was driving much more like the Toyota. This is not to say that the 2021 was loose, for example, in steering. The 2021 steering was tight and high effort as I would expect from a Mazda, it is just that the 2021 did not feel as integrated as when driving the 2019. The 2019 seemed more controlled in ride, more responsive in steering and direction changes.

Comments?
What am I observing, just unit to unit sample variation?
Better tire response because he is down to about 4/32?
Or is it because my son likes to "move out" and wife drives like the proverbial "grandma"?
If they truly are the same size and type tire , f.i. 19 inche. Then it would have to be the fact they keep increasing the weight of the vehicles so the 2021 is most likely heavier as well as mazda might have tinkered with the 2021 suspension slightly.

Aside from any physical tuning differences between the years that may or may not be involved, the sunoco 93 octane in the 2019 is gonna give you a little more hp in the upper rpm range and the 4/32 older tires will give you better handling (in the dry) than a new tires.

I did, and it was within a pound or two high, but the tires were hot. So I suppose they could have been a couple of pounds below spec when cold.

If they truly are the same size and type tire , f.i. 19 inche. Then it would have to be the fact they keep increasing the weight of the vehicles so the 2021 is most likely heavier as well as mazda might have tinkered with the 2021 suspension slightly.
According to the Google god, 11 pounds difference
2019 Signature: 3,825
2021 Signature: 3,836

Back