2019 CX-5 getting 2.5 Turbo engine??

Finch I think I’m in the same boat. Would still have the ST but with new commute really needed auto.

As long as the wife is happy we’ll keep the CX-5 but if she decides she needs more power we’ll be much more likely to trade. My mom has hinted she wants first go at it if we’re trading but I think she plans on us having it into more depreciation based on my pattern so at 2 years it may not be there.

Buying a car will always costs you because cars lose their value over time. We also live in a country where the infrastructure is designed for automobiles. I would rather ride my bicycle to work but that is not possible, so I need a car. I really applaud people who can keep their car for longer than 10 years. I unfortunately do not have that willpower yet, or maybe I just haven't found a car yet that I want to keep forever. My Speed3 is growing into that role though. After getting new tires on it, the ride has become much more acceptable. Looking to upgrade the suspension next. The CX-5 on the other hand, I think is too slow for my driving style. And my wife has started saying that it is slow. So if the new CX-5 gets the turbo, a trade in is a possibility.

How often do you upgrade your refrigerator? Me? I would be fine with the one I had in my parent's house. It was 20+ years old when I last saw it working fine.

How often do you upgrade your refrigerator? Me? I would be fine with the one I had in my parent's house. It was 20+ years old when I last saw it working fine.

When it quits working and isn’t reasonably priced to fix. But we bought one when we built our house so I’m probably good for a while.

Cars != appliance to me. I’m aware they are for a lot of people though and those people usually buy Toyotas.

How often? It depends, is it still working? Is there a feature it doesn't have that new ones have? For instance, my parents got a new Samsung fridge that has Wifi, has a big screen on the outside and you can connect to it using a smart phone app to view the contents of the fridge. Seems helpful if you're out grocery shopping and no one is at home to tell you whether you need to buy more eggs. I would be fine with one that works and keeps the contents chilled.

People will use money to buy whatever they want. This is how we end up with folks commuting in pickup trucks even if they don't need the cargo space and it has miserable fuel economy.

I think it depends on several things. I don’t smoke which in the UK is a very expensive vice. I drink very little and not at all between work shifts. Some people spend quite a lot on golf or shooting and other quite expensive hobbies. As sad as it may sound, my car is important to me and I spend a lot of time in it. Any car depreciates although new cars tend to freefall. I don’t buy new tyres, I don’t get to the start of annual testing at 3 years, I get the latest safety equipment and toys. I never buy a battery or exhaust. The way I look at it, I pay the depreciation as I go. I don’t have a mortgage and the only thing I can call debt is this PCP on the car which I can buy myself out of at any time. I’m thinking of semi retirement soon and I’ll hopefully be out and about touring. If I can do that in a newish comfortable car it’s all part of the overall enjoyment of it. I just did an 800 mile round trip in this here rental I’ve got and it was a really nice experience (radar cruise will be on my next car - fantastic). I get other folks take on this subject. I like the idea of low cost motoring, don’t get me wrong but this is not a practice and trust me, I’ve spent many hours patching up bangers. On the other hand, this loaded CX-5 is the limit of my extravagance and I’ve no passion to run a Jag or a high end Merc. I’m 60 next and I’m still hauling my backside out of bed at all hours (for the time being until I can get a job share). I do it because I want to and the car is part of the motivation and part of the reward.

I can understand if your house is paid for and money is literally not something you care about, but my grandparents made an excellent point to me a while back (they are not poor, on the contrary, they can stroke a check for most things they want. Houses and cars included in that.)

I was visiting them, and had not been in their garage. My grandpa said "Want to ride in a $400K car?" Yeah...wasn't gonna say no to that. So downstairs to the garage we went, where he proudly presented his 2001 Toyota Avalon XLS or XSE or whatever the hell it is. I was befuddled until he said "I have 367K trouble-free miles on that car, and it is 17 years old, and if I had traded it in at the rate some people do, it would have easily saved me $400K by now." Now, I am pretty sure he knows my history of keeping a car 1-2 years and trading it, and this really hit home. I did some mental math, and he was pretty "on". I've been letting that sink in for the last month and a half, because money IS an object to me. I do very well for myself, but my house and my estate are not paid for. "money still matters" to me, and one day, I'd like to be stroking $100K checks like nothing, if I choose to. Decisions and lifestyle choices...

I dunno, just something I ran into with my recent talk of "trading this damn thing in".

^^Smart man grandpa unob.. I wish I had that kind of financial discipline at least when it comes to cars..but I've always bought well within my means..so far:)
On a related note- a quicky on the X3M40i:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2018-bmw-x3-m40i-essentials-tall-m-wagon

Replace CR-V with CX-5 and to me the "con" is the whole story here and if you can allocate 65 large for one of these or whatever the hell the lease payment is. But seriously if you don't opt out of the staggered Pzero summers and can't or don't muster up a winter tire budget if it snows at all where you live- you fully deserve whatever peril awaits as a direct result of your stupidity and fwiw I'd def take the Miata's stock set up over it in snow...my X1 came with a similar staggered summer Pzero set up and despite mine not seeing a flake of snow anyway (see cons- I have another app for that) going to a non-RFT UHP all season on 17s was the first thing I did..even in a lease. The ride on the 19s was atrocious and no way I was not going to have to replace all 4 at the end for just as much or slightly more $$.

Last edited:
One thing I would love is if they brought the CX-4 to the USA, put the 2.5T in that and call it the CX-7!

^^+1- kinda surprised they haven't already but one thing I've learned about Mazda, better or worse they sure don't move too fast!

^^+1- kinda surprised they haven't already but one thing I've learned about Mazda, better or worse they sure don't move too fast!

Well, because Mazda is a relatively small car company with limited resources. They pace their new product releases.

It totally doesnt. Youre not going to see someone drag racing a CX-5 vs 6. Its going to be faster than the 2.5 NA. Thats all that matters.

Should be by a considerable margin as well

The problem with the news these days is that they all jump on the same rumor even if its fake. Nobody confirms anything anymore.

Because there are no consequences, no accountability. It was once important to maintain credibility or you became marginalized or insignificant. Now, one can spew anything and maintain presence, without any fact checking or accuracy.

Cool story... In my married life in the last 22 years the wife and I have never let go of car less than 12 years old. My current stable of vehicles I plan to keep for the foreseeable future. I do start to get a little wishy washy when they get over 20 years of age but my nephew has my old Explorer and frankly I think I could keep my GX on the road for decades assuming petrol is available. My parents were born during WWII so they had a lot of the financial restraint their parents who had lived through the depression had.

Live below your means and money never becomes a life stress.

Yep. I'm currently fixing the excesses of my 20s. That is part of what the cx5 was about. I want Bills (house, electric, car, land, insurance) to be handled by my first paycheck of the month, and savings, food, toys to be my 2nd paycheck. So far, I'm slotted right on target for that.

Back