2019 CX-5 getting 2.5 Turbo engine??

I really hope this happens. I'd like to trade our 17 in for a turbo version but wife probably won't want to deal with the hassle and $ hit. We love ours as an appliance, and I've driven it some in heavy snow and the dynamics are actually pretty fun. Had a turbo Forester XT long ago which was a blast. Current model is CVT only, bleh. The lack of quicker variants in this class is frustrating when if you spend more you can get Macan, Cayenne, SQ5, SRT Jeeps, X5M, X3 3.0T, etc etc.. Mazda is doing well with the upcoming upgrades to the Miata, great styling and dynamics in their commuter cars... But the power is lacking.

I really hope this happens. I'd like to trade our 17 in for a turbo version but wife probably won't want to deal with the hassle and $ hit. We love ours as an appliance, and I've driven it some in heavy snow and the dynamics are actually pretty fun. Had a turbo Forester XT long ago which was a blast. Current model is CVT only, bleh. The lack of quicker variants in this class is frustrating when if you spend more you can get Macan, Cayenne, SQ5, SRT Jeeps, X5M, X3 3.0T, etc etc.. Mazda is doing well with the upcoming upgrades to the Miata, great styling and dynamics in their commuter cars... But the power is lacking.
Agreed. The Rx7 FD, MS3, where is all that? Mazda is a dog nowadays.

Put what ever tyres on the AWD 2.5T CX-5, won't be faster than the 2.5T 6 because of extra weight.

However should help it make it better than what ever stock tyres they place on AWD 2.5T CX-5 :)

Even with the same weight the CX-5 will still be slower than a 6.

Aerodynamics.

You would think, but the Fbodies from 1998 to 2002 were equal to the Corvette with the same driveline of the same year, and that holds true for 2015 to 2018, too. So I really dont know. Top speed maybe, but I dunno about the quarter. I bet full tank of gas and heavy driver vs petite girl and quarter tank matters more in the quarter than aero ot the mazda6 vs cx5

The current AWD CX-5 is low to mid 8 second bracket for 0-100km/h. 2.5T AWD CX-5 should be in the low to mid 6 second bracket. So around a 2 second improvement

You would think, but the Fbodies from 1998 to 2002 were equal to the Corvette with the same driveline of the same year, and that holds true for 2015 to 2018, too. So I really dont know. Top speed maybe, but I dunno about the quarter. I bet full tank of gas and heavy driver vs petite girl and quarter tank matters more in the quarter than aero ot the mazda6 vs cx5

True that.

Yeah it depends..0-60 is more about getting the power down and gearing..60-80+ is when aero will start to have more impact. I would expect the cx5 to launch better, take the lead until 50 or 60 then the 6 would likely reel it in eeking it out by a 10th or 3 in the 1/4 but why does this matter again(uhm)

Yeah it depends..0-60 is more about getting the power down and gearing..60-80+ is when aero will start to have more impact. I would expect the cx5 to launch better, take the lead until 50 or 60 then the 6 would likely reel it in eeking it out by a 10th or 3 in the 1/4 but why does this matter again(uhm)

It totally doesn’t. You’re not going to see someone drag racing a CX-5 vs 6. It’s going to be faster than the 2.5 NA. That’s all that matters.

Man, if Mazda puts the 2.5T in the CX-5 without giving the CX-9 a bump in power, then I'd consider the CX-5 Turbo at the end of my CX-9 lease as long as it turns out I don't need the extra space in the CX-9 as much as I thought I would.

That said, I just got the CX-9 a couple weeks ago, so I'm in no rush to get rid of it :p and I really like it! The extra power and general performance, despite its increased size and weight, were a factor in my decision in getting it over the CX-5. The extra space though was a big factor too, but we'll see how useful it turns out to be over the course of the lease. I could have very well over-estimated my need for it.

Generally speaking, Mazda has done an excellent job in making cars that respond well to driver inputs and provide excellent feedback, making for great driver's cars. They've been needing to catch up in delivering more powerful vehicles for a while though and this could be another good step in that direction. The Turbo Mazda 6 and the recent bump in power for the Miata/MX-5 have otherwise been very welcome developments recently.

Yes and this is great, as long as they still give me the diesel! I'm not racing my cx5 im commuting so i want efficiency and range over shaving acceleration times. Having said that I'd probably still take the turbo over the na 2.5 for a reasonably small hit in mpg. So we're really going to have 3 cx5 engine choices? Hope so but this is making me nervous re diesel's arrival not gonna lie.

I am tempted to trade our ‘17 as well but probably not worth the hit on depreciation. The money smart side of me says no lol

I told my wife about the rumors of a turbo engine being added to the 2019 CX-5 and her eyes lit up. Won't be a good financial decision, but the benefit of doing a 20% downpayment when we bought our CX-5, has us in the position to trade it in if we really want to and get possibly even lower monthly payments on the new one. I can't wait for this rumor to turn out to be true.

Yea we did like 30% down so we definitely could...... might just have to drive it when it’s out and see......

Yea we did like 30% down so we definitely could...... might just have to drive it when it’s out and see......

I can understand if your house is paid for and money is literally not something you care about, but my grandparents made an excellent point to me a while back (they are not poor, on the contrary, they can stroke a check for most things they want. Houses and cars included in that.)

I was visiting them, and had not been in their garage. My grandpa said "Want to ride in a $400K car?" Yeah...wasn't gonna say no to that. So downstairs to the garage we went, where he proudly presented his 2001 Toyota Avalon XLS or XSE or whatever the hell it is. I was befuddled until he said "I have 367K trouble-free miles on that car, and it is 17 years old, and if I had traded it in at the rate some people do, it would have easily saved me $400K by now." Now, I am pretty sure he knows my history of keeping a car 1-2 years and trading it, and this really hit home. I did some mental math, and he was pretty "on". I've been letting that sink in for the last month and a half, because money IS an object to me. I do very well for myself, but my house and my estate are not paid for. "money still matters" to me, and one day, I'd like to be stroking $100K checks like nothing, if I choose to. Decisions and lifestyle choices...

I dunno, just something I ran into with my recent talk of "trading this damn thing in".

That’s why I said the money smart side said no! I usually keep for 5-7 years and probably won’t trade. The wife daily’s it and she’s fine with its power. I daily the GTI.

I can understand if your house is paid for and money is literally not something you care about, but my grandparents made an excellent point to me a while back (they are not poor, on the contrary, they can stroke a check for most things they want. Houses and cars included in that.)

I was visiting them, and had not been in their garage. My grandpa said "Want to ride in a $400K car?" Yeah...wasn't gonna say no to that. So downstairs to the garage we went, where he proudly presented his 2001 Toyota Avalon XLS or XSE or whatever the hell it is. I was befuddled until he said "I have 367K trouble-free miles on that car, and it is 17 years old, and if I had traded it in at the rate some people do, it would have easily saved me $400K by now." Now, I am pretty sure he knows my history of keeping a car 1-2 years and trading it, and this really hit home. I did some mental math, and he was pretty "on". I've been letting that sink in for the last month and a half, because money IS an object to me. I do very well for myself, but my house and my estate are not paid for. "money still matters" to me, and one day, I'd like to be stroking $100K checks like nothing, if I choose to. Decisions and lifestyle choices...

I dunno, just something I ran into with my recent talk of "trading this damn thing in".
Buying a car will always costs you because cars lose their value over time. We also live in a country where the infrastructure is designed for automobiles. I would rather ride my bicycle to work but that is not possible, so I need a car. I really applaud people who can keep their car for longer than 10 years. I unfortunately do not have that willpower yet, or maybe I just haven't found a car yet that I want to keep forever. My Speed3 is growing into that role though. After getting new tires on it, the ride has become much more acceptable. Looking to upgrade the suspension next. The CX-5 on the other hand, I think is too slow for my driving style. And my wife has started saying that it is slow. So if the new CX-5 gets the turbo, a trade in is a possibility.

Back