2019 CX-5 Folding side mirror when locking; LS stopped fully folding. Tips?

Just wanted to chime in that, that TSB has been superseded with a later one, more models are now included up to build date 10 or 11 march 2020, as well as more reasons for mirror folding failure:

TSB 09-010/21
Another TSB? Hope the power folding mirror TSB won’t need revision yearly ⋯

Thanks @Hawke.

Quick summary:

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit power outer mirror(s) that do not completely fold in and/or out.

This concern may be caused by the following:
- The space between the mirror frame and the inner base may be too tight to allow for proper movement.
- Due to insufficient water tightness, water enters the electric fold-in unit and results in corrosion damage.
- The friction around the folding mechanism shaft may become increased.

To eliminate this concern, the following mass-production changes have been implemented:
- The hole (1) in the mirror frame connected to the inner base has been enlarged.
- The overlapping area (2) of the water-proof seal (inside electric fold-in unit) has been extended.
- The washer material has been improved and an additional washer has been added to the shaft.

And here’s an early Mazda Wordwide TSB for power folding mirrors posted by UK member Anchorman when power folding mirrors weren’t available in the US. Anchorman himself has been having power folding mirror failure for almost every CX-5 he has owned!

I simply don’t understand why Mazda can’t resolve this problem for all of these years with many TSBs ⋯ :unsure:

It*s a known fault. There is a kit to fix water ingress but time wise they usually end up fitting a new mirror.

0-DF4539-C-F922-42-A6-9-C49-1056-C5272803.png

The manual control folding mirrors have the rotary switch. The ones that fold on the key have a three position switch (in the pdf). Folded, auto and unfolded.

I*ve had these folding mirrors fail on my 16, 17 and 18. This 19 is only 6 months old so early days. I would think the mechanism is the same as unobs so the improved sealing not come through yet. We get a 3 year warranty so not concerned and if it fails outside the warranty it can stay failed. I*ll get out and fold it. You can now buy the motor separately but getting it out with breaking the glass is unlikely. My complete mirror has the 360 cameras so I expect a complete mirror to be $1000.

As above.

Yes, the mirror is the same essentially but the way Mazda deal with warranty is different.

Mirror folding failure

Last edited:
And here’s an early Mazda Worldwide TSB for power folding mirrors posted by UK member Anchorman when power folding mirrors aren’t available in the US. Anchorman himself has been having power folding mirror failure for almost every CX-5 he has owned!
For reference, here is the complete TSB mentioned:

Attachments

• Power outer mirror does not fold-in by switch operation.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 371
Two causes... plastic wheel and water intrusion.
Someone (Mazda forum in Taiwan) replaced the plastic wheel with a metal one. Never fail again. Not an easy solution for most owners.

Water intrusion? Don't aim water jet into the mirror assembly gap.
Tape up the gap (between base and moving part) before car wash.

I simply don’t understand why Mazda can’t resolve this problem for all of these years with many TSBs ⋯ :unsure:

You can always ask Mazda yourself and report your findings. I just summarized the TSB, no idea why you're quoting me? 🤷‍♂️

Good Lord!!! This is insane! I'm 79 years old. We have 4 months left on our 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty. 22,000 miles on car. This was to be our last, and only 2nd ever new car. I hope the rest of our CX-5 is decent. Our first new car was an '89 Volvo 244. Still have it; runs great; tight; everything works.. Looks like it's going to beat the crap out of this Mazda for quality and durability.

Ah!! So today we go to town and my LH half-dead folding mirror is working fine............
Warmer day today.
No rain lately.
This originally failed several days ago, prompting my originating this thread. The day before it failed I'd had it into the dealer for LOF. As part of their service........they WASHED it.
Bingo.
Bet that's what caused it. And now it's had time to dry out?????????????????
Conclusion: CX-5 can never be driven in the rain or washed.
I need a drink................

• Haha
Reactions: BWJ
Tape up the gaps before wash.
Blast the gaps with compressed air from time to time.

There are no power-folding mirrors on my '17. (Mazda did not offer it).

⋯ There are no power-folding mirrors on my '17. (Mazda did not offer it).
Mazda didn’t offer automatic power-folding side mirrors only in the US or North American market until 2019 CX-5 on newer Grand Touring Reserve and Signature trim levels. Other regions in the world have been offered power folding mirrors since the CX-5 first released in 2012.

See post #24 above.

Two causes... plastic wheel and water intrusion.
Someone (Mazda forum in Taiwan) replaced the plastic wheel with a metal one. Never fail again. Not an easy solution for most owners.

Water intrusion? Don't aim water jet into the mirror assembly gap.
Tape up the gap (between base and moving part) before car wash.
Sure would love to buy some of those metal ones

Sorry for resurrecting this old post, but I bought a '19 cx-9 signature with about 50k miles a year ago. 60k now and just took it to the dealership for an oil change. When I received the keys, I noticed the passenger side mirror not moving. Now before I brought the car to the dealership, everything was working just fine and power folding mirrors have no problem. All a sudden I jump in the car and the passenger mirror stops folding. The service advisor pulls up the TSB saying my vehicle falls under the cars that are affected. BUT the thing is they were working before I brought it in. And he claimed they(the dealership) couldn't have "broke" the mirror because "they can't corrode a motor" and trying to avoid saying its their fault. I'm still in the process of speaking to the higher uppers to see if they can do anything about it because it happened while it was at their dealership.

Sorry for resurrecting this old post, but I bought a '19 cx-9 signature with about 50k miles a year ago. 60k now and just took it to the dealership for an oil change. When I received the keys, I noticed the passenger side mirror not moving. Now before I brought the car to the dealership, everything was working just fine and power folding mirrors have no problem. All a sudden I jump in the car and the passenger mirror stops folding. The service advisor pulls up the TSB saying my vehicle falls under the cars that are affected. BUT the thing is they were working before I brought it in. And he claimed they(the dealership) couldn't have "broke" the mirror because "they can't corrode a motor" and trying to avoid saying its their fault. I'm still in the process of speaking to the higher uppers to see if they can do anything about it because it happened while it was at their dealership.

Did they wash the car while they had it? Because water ingress is what causes the corrosion. If they washed it, then according to the TSB, there may have been water intrusion that caused the mirrors to fail. You might be able to use that to your advantage, if they washed your car.

Aside from that, you can escalate directly to Mazda Corporate if the dealership is not willing to cover the cost of replacement/labour. There is a chance that they will goodwill the replacement, or at least part of the cost.

Reading through the TSB, which doesn't seem to have been updated since March of 2021, affected vehicles are supposed to get new electric fold-in units with a different part or lot number. These new parts were manufactured on March 16, 2020. The annoying part is that according to the TSB, the only warranty applicable in this situation is the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which to my understanding, is only 1yr/12k mi from date of purchase. IMO, it should at least be 3yr/36k mi, or a special service program should be campaigned to extend the warranty on this problematic part to 5yr/60k mi.

The annoying part is that according to the TSB, the only warranty applicable in this situation is the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which to my understanding, is only 1yr/12k mi from date of purchase.
Looking at my 2020 warranty, the New Vehicle Limited Warranty includes both warranty periods.

The "Service adjustment" subsection for 12/12,000 coverage is chiefly a fitment warranty. In other words there is no defect in the parts per se, rather an error in assembly:

"Service adjustment means minor repairs not usually associated with the replacement of parts, such as wheel balance and alignment, tension adjustment of automatic transmission throttle cable and V-belt, fitting of engine hood, trunk lid, or rear hatch, etc."

The 36/36,000 portion of that warranty covers "defects in materials and workmanship of all parts and components".

A self destructing power mirror would qualify under 36/36,000.

Motorized external parts are inherently vulnerable to water, dirt or road salt intrusion is seams and gaps or something experiencing minor misalignment. Toyota's Sienna has had issues with power sliding doors over at least the last three generations up to the current day. Tesla has issues with the falcon wing doors. Then there's the matter of power lift gate and sunroof issues.

I don't think I'd buy a car with power hood, if somebody gets that bright idea, unless there was a manual backup. ;)

Looking at my 2020 warranty, the New Vehicle Limited Warranty includes both warranty periods.

The "Service adjustment" subsection for 12/12,000 coverage is chiefly a fitment warranty. In other words there is no defect in the parts per se, rather an error in assembly:

"Service adjustment means minor repairs not usually associated with the replacement of parts, such as wheel balance and alignment, tension adjustment of automatic transmission throttle cable and V-belt, fitting of engine hood, trunk lid, or rear hatch, etc."

The 36/36,000 portion of that warranty covers "defects in materials and workmanship of all parts and components".

A self destructing power mirror would qualify under 36/36,000.

Motorized external parts are inherently vulnerable to water, dirt or road salt intrusion is seams and gaps or something experiencing minor misalignment. Toyota's Sienna has had issues with power sliding doors over at least the last three generations up to the current day. Tesla has issues with the falcon wing doors. Then there's the matter of power lift gate and sunroof issues.

I don't think I'd buy a car with power hood, if somebody gets that bright idea, unless there was a manual backup. ;)

I stand corrected, thanks for checking the manual and verifying!

Did they wash the car while they had it? Because water ingress is what causes the corrosion. If they washed it, then according to the TSB, there may have been water intrusion that caused the mirrors to fail. You might be able to use that to your advantage, if they washed your car.

Aside from that, you can escalate directly to Mazda Corporate if the dealership is not willing to cover the cost of replacement/labour. There is a chance that they will goodwill the replacement, or at least part of the cost.

Reading through the TSB, which doesn't seem to have been updated since March of 2021, affected vehicles are supposed to get new electric fold-in units with a different part or lot number. These new parts were manufactured on March 16, 2020. The annoying part is that according to the TSB, the only warranty applicable in this situation is the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which to my understanding, is only 1yr/12k mi from date of purchase. IMO, it should at least be 3yr/36k mi, or a special service program should be campaigned to extend the warranty on this problematic part to 5yr/60k mi.
Yes, they did wash my vehicle. I believe they used a power washer. I take my car to quick washes multiple times before and never had a problem with the mirrors not working. The dealership never got back to me so I'm going back in a bit and demand an immediate remedy to the problem.

Yes, they did wash my vehicle. I believe they used a power washer. I take my car to quick washes multiple times before and never had a problem with the mirrors not working. The dealership never got back to me so I'm going back in a bit and demand an immediate remedy to the problem.
At 60k miles? Good luck.

Interesting to me is the mention of water egress. One would think a power mirror would be designed with this in mind as they are in the weather at all times... I had no issues in 2yrs/20k miles with my '19's mirrors and they were left in auto fold the entire time I had the car with frequent hand washing where I sprayed soap and water on the mirrors each time. In my '21 I turned the feature off just in case (not really ideal as it was nice to know the doors were locked by looking at the folded mirrors). Not worth having to have it replaced though so I will forgo it unless I really need them folded.

I always turn mine off at the first snow of the year and bring them back on line in April. If I'm parking on a tight street I pull them in manually during the winter.

Back