2017~2024 2018 CX5 Caliper pins (lower)

:
2022 CX-9 GT 2.5L Turbo
2018 CX-5 GT 2.5L N/A CD [RETIRED]
Hi CX5 community.

I just took apart the brakes yesterday on my 18 CX5 GT with 13,000 km for a clean/maintenance and noticed that the lower caliper pins (in all 4 corners) have a rubber sleeve toward the tip of the pins. I think it's for anti-rattle purposes, but noticed that even with lubrication, the damn pins in my opinion are quite "sticky". Can someone confirm what the rubber sleeves are for? So far, the pads have pretty even wear, so I'm not too concerned about it.

The other thing I noticed is that the rear pads had very little (or in my opinion none) anti-seize on the brake pad slide points whereas the front's definitely had a fair amount (still visible). It looked like copper anti-seize based on the color.

Ah I knew this would come up. I didn't get a chance to snap a photo, hands were a mess. Check out here. The pin on the right.

Ah I knew this would come up. I didn't get a chance to snap a photo, hands were a mess. Check out here. The pin on the right.
The link doesnt give us too much info on specific subject you questioned. Id guess youre talking about the caliper guide pin rubber boot, but it should be on every caliper pin for dust protection and movement, not just on lower.

From many members reports here, lack of rubber-friendly grease on those caliper pins from factory is a norm for our CX-5.

The link doesn*t give us too much info on specific subject you questioned. I*d guess you*re talking about the caliper guide pin rubber boot, but it should be on every caliper pin for dust protection and movement, not just on lower.

From many member*s reports here, lack of rubber-friendly grease on those caliper pins from factory is a norm for our CX-5.

For clarification, I'm referring to the rubber sleeve, which is pictured in the middle of the two pins. That sleeve is meant to sit towards the end of the pin (the right pin in the image) which for the CX5 happens to the be the lower/bottom of the two pins on each wheel.

I was just curious if anyone else (that service their brakes anyway) think even after proper lubricant, the lower pin feels "sticky".

And I would agree with those other members. When I pulled the pins out to clean them, the only place with noticeable lubricant was at the tip of the pins.

Back