2017 CX-5 drl question

I'll take your word for it; I've never had DRL's before this vehicle. I guess the advantage is that it gives you a way to force the DRL's to turn off while you're not moving without having to shift into park. Not sure how often I would do that though.
I tried it yesterday on my Mazda 6. Was in the garage, lights were on. Hit off switch then reversed out and DRLs came on

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Has anyone tested the effectiveness of the turn signal during the daytime with the DRLs? Looking closely, the turn signal is pretty small and on the inside of the headlights. I haven't checked with mine yet, but probably will when I have some time. Since the headlights are on, the contrast between a signal light going off/on won't be very apparent.

Has anyone tested the effectiveness of the turn signal during the daytime with the DRLs? Looking closely, the turn signal is pretty small and on the inside of the headlights. I haven't checked with mine yet, but probably will when I have some time. Since the headlights are on, the contrast between a signal light going off/on won't be very apparent.

Have a read of PipeMajor's posts. He has the same concerns so is changing the bulbs to ones that are much brighter.

The 2017 CX-5 specs a 7443NA amber bulb for the front turn signal. That's a wedge-type dual filament bulb and, unfortunately, my VLEDS Tritons won't adapt. Perhaps one of their other LEDs might fit but then you'd wind up with a likely hyperflash unless one hardwires a resistor in place.

I'll have to study my options.

The owner's manual says the 7443NA is 28W on bright so it may already be bright enough. After the Tritons, I'm spoiled...

EDIT: Perhaps this one.

Last edited:
The 2017 CX-5 specs a 7443NA amber bulb for the front turn signal. That's a wedge-type dual filament bulb and, unfortunately, my VLEDS Tritons won't adapt. Perhaps one of their other LEDs might fit but then you'd wind up with a likely hyperflash unless one hardwires a resistor in place.

I'll have to study my options.

The owner's manual says the 7443NA is 28W on bright so it may already be bright enough. After the Tritons, I'm spoiled...

EDIT: Perhaps this one.
The front turn signals/parking lights for 2017 CX-5 use 7444NA 28/8W dual filament bulbs which are the same bulbs used in 2016 GT with LED headlights/DRLs. I did this mod at least to make the front turn signals more distinctive in the dark. The mod also makes the turn-signal locations serve as turn-signal only without parking function, and Signature LED DRLs now serve as parking light, which are consistent with international standards.

Simplest Mod for Your 2016 CX-5 Front Turn Signals with LED Lightings

You can do the same mod for 2017 CX-5 GT with Signature LED DRLs. :)

Last edited:
The front turn signals/parking lights for 2017 CX-5 use 7444NA 28/8W dual filament bulbs which are the same bulbs used in 2016 GT with tLED headlights/DRLs. I did this mod at least to make the front turn signals more distinctive in the dark. The mod also makes the turn-signal locations serve as turn-signal only without parking function, and Signature LED DRLs now serve as parking light, which are consistent with international standards.

Simplest Mod for Your 2016 CX-5 Front Turn Signals with LED Lightings

You can do the same mod for 2017 CX-5 GT with Signature LED DRLs. :)

You are correct. 7444NA is a dual filament amber bulb for parking/turn signal. 7443NA is a single filament amber for turn signal only.

I opened a technical ticket with VLEDS this evening. They replied already saying they did not have the data for the 2017 model year. Makes a difference if your bulb socket is standard or CK configuration. I'll have to look/test the contacts to determine which the Mazda uses.

I also made a mistake saying my Tritons would not fit in a wedge socket yet my rear turn signals on my 2015 CX-5 is a wedge 7443NA which I did convert using my Tritons. I posted a video showing the difference between a stock signal bulb and the Triton. It's pretty dramatic.

Saw that clip and indeed you are correct.

Should be as dramatic on your 2017 model

You are correct. 7444NA is a dual filament amber bulb for parking/turn signal. 7443NA is a single filament amber for turn signal only.

I opened a technical ticket with VLEDS this evening. They replied already saying they did not have the data for the 2017 model year. Makes a difference if your bulb socket is standard or CK configuration. I'll have to look/test the contacts to determine which the Mazda uses.

I also made a mistake saying my Tritons would not fit in a wedge socket yet my rear turn signals on my 2015 CX-5 is a wedge 7443NA which I did convert using my Tritons. I posted a video showing the difference between a stock signal bulb and the Triton. It's pretty dramatic.
The rear turn-signals for both 1st-gen and 2nd-gen CX-5 use 7440NA 21W "Natural Amber" single-filament incandescent bulb. Be aware that the spec in owner's manual for rear turn signals is wrong as it says 7443NA; and 7443/NA is a dual-filament 21/5W clear/amber bulb. 7440 and 7443 bulbs are interchangeable with the same socket base, but with the difference of single or dual lighting function. The design is very clever so that the connectors are non-directional, not like 1156 and 1157/NA. In other words, you can plug in 7443NA into 7440NA bulb socket either way for our rear turn signals, but the thinner 5W filament will never get used. 7444NA bulb socket for our front turn signals/parkings has a special tab built-in, so that you can't plug in 7440NA or 7443NA bulb into it.

Many LED manufactures are making equivalent LEDs for these 744X bulbs with one-size-fit-all design. But with a special tab built-in for 7444/NA bulb, one'd better make sure the LEDs you're interested for our front turn signals are truly compatible with 7444 bulb socket. And I highly recommend getting switch-back dual-color type 2 7444 compatible LEDs for the front turn-signal bulb swap! :)

I totally agree! And during the dark it would be worse with amber parking lights on! I believe this's one step backwards by Mazda North American Operations comparing to 1st-gen CX-5. Some sort of mod will be done if I'm getting a 2017/2018 CX-5! And we should send more comments about this to Mazda North American Operations website and urge them to make a change!

I totally agree! And during the dark it would be worse with amber parking lights on! I believe this's one step backwards by Mazda North American Operations comparing to 1st-gen CX-5. Some sort of mod will be done if I'm getting a 2017/2018 CX-5! And we should send more comments about this to Mazda North American Operations website and urge them to make a change!
Umm.. more like Mazda Japan HQ needs to make the change after pressure from USA HQ

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Umm.. more like Mazda Japan HQ needs to make the change after pressure from USA HQ
Mazda North American Operations gave the specs and trim requirements to Mazda headquarters in Japan, and Mazda manufactures the US version CX-5 according to requirements and exports to the US. Yeah, I believe it has everything to do with MNAO on this DRL setup!

Yrwei52! You use exclamation points way too much! Stop it! I always read your posts like your super excited or super pissed off! LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yrwei52! You use exclamation points way too much! Stop it! I always read your posts like your super excited or super pissed off! LOL
Sorry, each time I see or talk about Mazda CX-5, I get excited and couldn't resist! :)

DRL lights aren't as bright as they are when in the on position. It's a slight difference but it's there. It also isn't specific to this Mazda and I don't mind, then again I think I officially own the coolest headlights on the road. ;P

DRL lights aren't as bright as they are when in the on position. It's a slight difference but it's there. It also isn't specific to this Mazda and I don't mind, then again I think I officially own the coolest headlights on the road. ;P

Correct. The DRL dims a bit when the led headlights are in use

And during the dark it would be worse with amber parking lights on!
The only amber "parking" lights in the front are the side marker lights, and they are barely visible (just a small sliver outboard of the headlights and halos) when viewed head on at close range. Not sure you'd even see them from an oncoming car.

Last edited:
Chiming in here because I just got my 2017 CX-5 and noticed this same thing while driving on the road. I played with the off-auto-DRL-on knob and did a bunch of tests myself but couldn't figure out why the actual headlight projector would not shut off in bright daylight. The sales guy at Mazda didn't seem to have an answer either. From what I can see, I guess the answer is that different from the previous gen CX-5's that only use LED strips and accents for DRL, the new 2017 DRL's include the led strip/accents and also some LED's in the actual projector. If I go switch my headlight knob from auto to on while in bright daylight, brighter LED's turn on in the same projector housing.

Last edited:
Chiming in here because I just got my 2017 CX-5 and noticed this same thing while driving on the road. I played with the off-auto-DRL-on knob and did a bunch of tests myself but couldn't figure out why the actual headlight projector would not shut off in bright daylight. The sales guy at Mazda didn't seem to have an answer either. From what I can see, I guess the answer is that different from the previous gen CX-5's that only use LED strips and accents for DRL, the new 2017 DRL's include the led strip/accents and also some LED's in the actual projector. If I go switch my headlight knob from auto to on while in bright daylight, brighter LED's turn on in the same projector housing.

Looks like its a Mazda USA HQ decision and they haven't told the reasoning to any of their dealers.

I'm going to guess it's somehow cheaper.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back