2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

bob - agree with you on that one!
i just have to remind myself to go to the steering wheel controls versus using the infotainment

There is nobody offering you oil temperature gauge in many years. Now they are even trying to eliminate coolant temperature gauge like CX-5 did. Can you imagine a car without an oil level dipstick under the hood? I can't, but BMW owners can!

Sorry I meant to say coolant gauge. I still would like one when I buy a car.

So I got my new 2016 Mazda cx-5 gt and I really really love the car.

But I do have one concern right now.

I put the heated seats on both front seats on 3 bars out of 3 and it barely heated the seats up. I think it may have been my body heat that heated up my driver seat. The leather on my passenger seat was cold, I switched over to sit in that seat.. the seat warmed up at best again maybe due to the fact that it was just me sitting on it that heated up the seat. I felt my hand back on the drivers seat and the leather was cold on the drivers too.

Does anyone else have this concern? In other cars I've been in that has heated seats, they get really hot and toasty. With my cx-5 its warm at best and that may just be me heating up the seat. Can someone enlighten me on my concern? Thanks

Mine get very warm, perhaps there is something wrong with yours.

So I got my new 2016 Mazda cx-5 gt and I really really love the car.

But I do have one concern right now.

I put the heated seats on both front seats on 3 bars out of 3 and it barely heated the seats up. I think it may have been my body heat that heated up my driver seat. The leather on my passenger seat was cold, I switched over to sit in that seat.. the seat warmed up at best again maybe due to the fact that it was just me sitting on it that heated up the seat. I felt my hand back on the drivers seat and the leather was cold on the drivers too.

Does anyone else have this concern? In other cars I've been in that has heated seats, they get really hot and toasty. With my cx-5 its warm at best and that may just be me heating up the seat. Can someone enlighten me on my concern? Thanks

I'm guessing that the passenger seat warmer will not function if it doesn't sense someone sitting there. Maybe it's tied into the front passenger seat weight sensors, no weight, no heat? The manual mentions nothing about this though.

Edit: Nope, that's not the case. The seat warmers are just really weak. Took at least twenty minutes for me to feel any heat in the passenger seat.

Last edited:
Climate control mode buttons - There are two of them with arrows that seem to imply they work in conjunction with the dual zones. No matter which one I push whether in single or dual zone control they each change the zone for both driver and passenger. Would have been nice to be able to control both zones separately as the arrows seem to imply.

Mode_zpskqjy6ug3.jpg

Last edited:
My GF laments the fact that switching between favorite radio stations is a 3 step process. First you have to hit the star button on the commander console, then scroll to the desired station, then push in to select it. And if you don't like the song you have to do it all over again. Of course on traditional radios you have buttons that you can assign as favorites so you can quickly switch from station to station. I don't listen to the radio much so it doesn't bother me but I can see how it can be annoying. Any short cuts I'm missing?

I have found that if I choose one of my faves from the list, and I don't like what I am hearing, if you press the <<< or >>> buttons on the steering wheel, it cycles through your favorites. If you are listening to AM/FM is cycles through those. If you are listening to satellite, it cycles through those.

Edit: Nope, that's not the case. The seat warmers are just really weak. Took at least twenty minutes for me to feel any heat in the passenger seat.

In my 2016 CX-5 the seat warmers are far from weak, the few times I've used them I've had to switch them of after less than 5 minutes because the seat was getting hot.

I have found that if I choose one of my faves from the list, and I don't like what I am hearing, if you press the <<< or >>> buttons on the steering wheel, it cycles through your favorites. If you are listening to AM/FM is cycles through those. If you are listening to satellite, it cycles through those.

Thanks to all who helped me with this! I'll try it out tonight.

Yea I had my seat warmers on again..

It did feel warmer than when I first had used heated seats (and then posted asking why). But yea.. the seats dont get hot.. they get... really warm. I wouldnt classify it as hot but just really warm. Which is ok .. for now. Will it get really warm in the winter too? Because in Toronto these past few nights its been 4 degrees celcius and it can go usually -20 in the winter. Again, my mothers car her heated seats will get you saying ' ah man thats hot now, gotta turn it down.' Mine is just warm at most. Its almost like I have to sit in the warming mechanism in the seat than feeling it on the seat by placing a hand on it.

So if im not the only one saying Mazda seat warmers are weak then I take it its not just my car ?

I did another check with the seat warmers today as I drove to work, temperature was 6 celsius. After 1 minute I could feel the warmth, and after 2.5 minutes I switched it off since it was warm enough. Not sure if the heaters are different in the Norwegian/European versions.

I did another check with the seat warmers today as I drove to work, temperature was 6 celsius. After 1 minute I could feel the warmth, and after 2.5 minutes I switched it off since it was warm enough. Not sure if the heaters are different in the Norwegian/European versions.

Well my seat gets 'warm enough' as well. It just seems for a seat warmer at 3/3 bars lit, its relatively weak. But there are much colder days to worry about in the winter, I hope I feel it then too when the inside of my car is as cold as outside the car.

Put your passenger seat warmer on all the way at night. Put your hand on the seat after 2.5 minutes. Does the leather feel hot? Or does it still feel a bit cold? I find that to feel the warmth you have to sit in it and then you feel some warmth. Not sure if thats normal and cant get a straight answer.

One full week of driving to and from work on the 2016 GT and two things I'm really going to have to get used to. One, like mentioned above, my knee rubs against the center console. I'm trying to learn to position away from it. But at 6'3" it just flops there naturally. And two, wow are the pedals close together! I've been driving a Dodge Caravan for 13 years and managed to put almost 300,000 miles on it and I am soooo used to the wider pedal spread. These are so dang close to each other that my size 13 shoe is having a major problem. Hope I can get past this issue. Otherwise, everything else FANTASTIC!

I'm looking to trade in a 2011 Acura RDX. I would be going for 2016 GT Tech plus Iactivesense. I know I'm going from luxury to non, but I don't know if I can live with the difference in the center armrest, especially on the passenger side. I haven't seen a good solution on this forum. Surely someone makes an armrest that will sit in the cupholders? The electronics blow the RDX away, but I also can't imagine a long trip with the current config.

I'm looking to trade in a 2011 Acura RDX. I would be going for 2016 GT Tech plus Iactivesense. I know I'm going from luxury to non, but I don't know if I can live with the difference in the center armrest, especially on the passenger side. I haven't seen a good solution on this forum. Surely someone makes an armrest that will sit in the cupholders? The electronics blow the RDX away, but I also can't imagine a long trip with the current config.
Good timing to trade in your Acura RDX as your 2.3L's turbo charger or 5-speed automatic transmission is due to fail at any time now. You can be the driver by yourself as CX-5 should be more fun to drive than RDX. Or if you really want to be on the other side of the center console, just move the seat rearward to the maximum to enjoy a little bit of center armrest. Or try to use a pillow during the long trip. Honestly, switching from Acura RDX to Mazda CX-5 is not from "luxury to non". RDX is not MDX and CX-5 has some options even MDX doesn't offer (i.e. AFS). Look at the brighter side, at least you'll save a lot more gas money (EPA 26/33/29 FWD; 24/30/26 AWD with regular gas) than RDX (EPA 19/24/21 FWD; 17/22/19 SH-AWD MPG with premium gas) for your long trip!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Acura RDX

Good timing to trade in your Acura RDX as your 2.3L's turbo charger or 5-speed automatic transmission are due to fail at any time now. You can be the driver by yourself as CX-5 should be more fun to drive than RDX. Or if you really want to be on the other side of the center console, just move the seat rearward to the maximum to enjoy a little bit of center armrest. Or try to use a pillow during the long trip. Honestly, switching from Acura RDX to Mazda CX-5 is not from "luxury to non". RDX is not MDX and CX-5 has some options even MDX doesn't offer (i.e. AFS). Look at the brighter side, at least you'll save a lot more gas money (EPA 26/33/29 FWD; 24/30/26 AWD with regular gas) than RDX (EPA 19/24/21 FWD; 17/22/19 SH-AWD MPG with premium gas) for your long trip!

I really appreciate your reply. I'm going to Car Fax tomorrow then to the Mazda dealership. Already have the VIN picked out, all depends on what they'll give me for the trade in.

One full week of driving to and from work on the 2016 GT and two things I'm really going to have to get used to. One, like mentioned above, my knee rubs against the center console. I'm trying to learn to position away from it. But at 6'3" it just flops there naturally. And two, wow are the pedals close together! I've been driving a Dodge Caravan for 13 years and managed to put almost 300,000 miles on it and I am soooo used to the wider pedal spread. These are so dang close to each other that my size 13 shoe is having a major problem. Hope I can get past this issue. Otherwise, everything else FANTASTIC!

You should try driving the new LEXUS NX- it's like trying to drive while having your legs in a kitchen trash container. Also, the head room is limited. I could not believe how tight things were in a luxury car.

Anyone noticed that the armrest in the middle at the passengers-seat has gone ? Awfull ! Armrest or cupholders ? Give me the armrest !

Last edited:
Anyone noticed that the armrest in the middle at the passengers-seat has gone ? Awfull !
No, it's there, it's just not very useful even if you moved the passenger seat rearward to the end! The corner has been cur for cup holders...

Thats exactly what I ment...........! Not gone, but smaller in a way...........It`s what I not like !

Back