2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

I dont like not having an oil temperature gauge and the 12V outlet is in the center arm rest. Would prefer it to be in the center dash cubby. Thats it.
There is nobody offering you oil temperature gauge in many years. Now they are even trying to eliminate coolant temperature gauge like CX-5 did. Can you imagine a car without an oil level dipstick under the hood? I can't, but BMW owners can!

I still think a "true" memory seat feature which controls drive seat, outside rear view mirrors, AND steering wheel positions is a must option for CX-5! I heard memory seat on older CX-9 can control seat and mirror, but on newer 6 it can only control seat position only, what a cop out!

That's good. I actually like that. So you can hide the charger and most of the wire and just have enough wire come out to keep your phone charging and sitting in the cup holder. Although I guess it can be an issue if you use your phone on the dash for GPS. But you should be able to charge via the USB ports that are located up front.

the USB ports in the front do not charge as fast as the charger. if i have the phone on (streaming music), my Moto X may start a 30 min trip at 80%, and by trip's end be at 84%. if using the console charger (12V), it would be 100% (or close to it) by trip's end.

So I got my new 2016 Mazda cx-5 gt and I really really love the car.

But I do have one concern right now.

I put the heated seats on both front seats on 3 bars out of 3 and it barely heated the seats up. I think it may have been my body heat that heated up my driver seat. The leather on my passenger seat was cold, I switched over to sit in that seat.. the seat warmed up at best again maybe due to the fact that it was just me sitting on it that heated up the seat. I felt my hand back on the drivers seat and the leather was cold on the drivers too.

Does anyone else have this concern? In other cars I've been in that has heated seats, they get really hot and toasty. With my cx-5 its warm at best and that may just be me heating up the seat. Can someone enlighten me on my concern? Thanks

So I got my new 2016 Mazda cx-5 gt and I really really love the car.

But I do have one concern right now.

I put the heated seats on both front seats on 3 bars out of 3 and it barely heated the seats up. I think it may have been my body heat that heated up my driver seat. The leather on my passenger seat was cold, I switched over to sit in that seat.. the seat warmed up at best again maybe due to the fact that it was just me sitting on it that heated up the seat. I felt my hand back on the drivers seat and the leather was cold on the drivers too.

Does anyone else have this concern? In other cars I've been in that has heated seats, they get really hot and toasty. With my cx-5 its warm at best and that may just be me heating up the seat. Can someone enlighten me on my concern? Thanks

Hi, I'm in the UK but I think you have a problem - my seats heat up fairly quickly and I usually end up turning them down or off. I would ask your dealer to take a look under warranty - maybe a fuse has blown!

Hi, I'm in the UK but I think you have a problem - my seats heat up fairly quickly and I usually end up turning them down or off. I would ask your dealer to take a look under warranty - maybe a fuse has blown!

Not sure. If a fuse was blown then other components wouldnt function as well I'd assume but everything else is fine and dandy.

Can it be maybe that it's warm outside so it won't heat up as much in the seats as a safety precaution.

If you put your hand on your passenger seat with noone sitting on it.. can you feel that the leather on the seat is hot?

New owner here! Going to miss the ability to roll down the windows from key fob on those hot days.

Overall though, I drove everything in the class and even considered the RDX. I think the CX5 was the best choice and I really liked my first real drive in it this morning :) It does well on the things that are important.

I am also trying to decide between an RDX and a CX-5. What were the deciding factors for you? I think the CX-5 is a great vehicle, especially for $10,000 less than the RDX. Probably has better infotainment system as well. Yet the RDX has great power with its V6, and its interior feels like it's made with much higher quality materials. Your thoughts?

After a month of ownership, one little thing I would like to change, would be the placement of the volume knob. Swap the parking brake button and the volume button. It's perfectly fine if you don't have a drink(s) in the cup holders but, if you do it's very awkward to reach over/around your drink to reach the knob.
The struggle is real! (gah)

Last edited:
I am not a CX-5 owner (yet!) but have test driven the 2016 AWD GT twice. A few things that bothered me:

-Tiny moonroof (when compared to others I have tested recently)
-Back-up camera seems to be of low quality, yet good enough to be functional
-Front seats are not as comfortable as Nissan, Ford, and Acura. Additionally, the seats seem quite short (and I'm only 5'9''!)
-Infotainment system seems to be too layered, but still better than most

Must say most of the above are only nitpicky complaints. Only the seat comfort issue makes me hesitant to purchase. In all, the CX-5 is still a frontrunner!

I am also trying to decide between an RDX and a CX-5. What were the deciding factors for you? I think the CX-5 is a great vehicle, especially for $10,000 less than the RDX. Probably has better infotainment system as well. Yet the RDX has great power with its V6, and its interior feels like it's made with much higher quality materials. Your thoughts?

Not only is the RDX more expensive to begin with the ongoing expense of premium fuel (around here that can be .50 cents a gallon)
was ultimately a deal breaker.

I am not a CX-5 owner (yet!) but have test driven the 2016 AWD GT twice. A few things that bothered me:

-Tiny moonroof (when compared to others I have tested recently)
-Back-up camera seems to be of low quality, yet good enough to be functional
-Front seats are not as comfortable as Nissan, Ford, and Acura. Additionally, the seats seem quite short (and I'm only 5'9''!)
-Infotainment system seems to be too layered, but still better than most

Must say most of the above are only nitpicky complaints. Only the seat comfort issue makes me hesitant to purchase. In all, the CX-5 is still a frontrunner!

-When I went in the Nissan Rogue before I bought my cx-5 GT, I said the same thing, hmm small moonroof in comparison. I found this doesn't bother me at all. I actually think the size of the cx-5 is nice, it gives adequate natural light in the front of the car, it doesn't get too cold when I only have the sunroof open, and the sun still hits me. Also I think the Rogue looks a bit messy looking from the inside looking up whereas the cx-5 looks proper.

-My backup camera is fine, better than my mothers lexus (an older car albeit than my 2016). Dont forget to wipe the dirt off the camera lens at the back for better visibility. That was probably why you may not have been impressed.

- Im 5'11'' and I dont feel the seats are short at all. I dont have a complaint. Do youself a favor and dont buy american unless you want to hear the plastic insides rattling after 50k.

-Infotainment system is very cool once you get the hang of it. Though some very minor things may annoy you as it does to me. Overall, satisfied.

I too checked out the Rogue like you. I even thought it looked nicer. If your getting a CX-5 GT, get the cx-5 GT. Not only does Mazda cx-5 have a better bottom line in overall quality of materials used, performance and effieciency... but the GT looks badass with its 19" stock tires black on black.

-When I went in the Nissan Rogue before I bought my cx-5 GT, I said the same thing, hmm small moonroof in comparison. I found this doesn't bother me at all. I actually think the size of the cx-5 is nice, it gives adequate natural light in the front of the car, it doesn't get too cold when I only have the sunroof open, and the sun still hits me. Also I think the Rogue looks a bit messy looking from the inside looking up whereas the cx-5 looks proper.

I too checked out the Rogue like you. I even thought it looked nicer. If your getting a CX-5 GT, get the cx-5 GT. Not only does Mazda cx-5 have a better bottom line in overall quality of materials used, performance and effieciency... but the GT looks badass with its 19" stock tires black on black.

I never noticed the messiness of the Rogue's interior, but both my wife and I thought the CX-5 drove so much better than the Rogue. To us, the Rogue did little to mask rough terrain/potholes and drove far less smoothly. I think the Mazda is a clear winner between the two. However, we actually went in looking for a Murano. We love how the Murano drives, and the interior is nicely refined. Just not sure about that crazy new exterior.. made me fear I would grow to hate it in a year or two.

Not only is the RDX more expensive to begin with the ongoing expense of premium fuel (around here that can be .50 cents a gallon)
was ultimately a deal breaker.

Oddly, our local Acura dealer told us that we did not need to use premium for the RDX. I have read that premium is suggested, but he never indicated as such.

Traded in 2014 6 Touring for a 2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech. Blew two low profile tires on a pothole at the same time, that was it for me. Loved the 6 though.

Only 400 miles on the CX-5 so far but:
1. Manual lists 2 driver setting buttons but I do not see them as a option. - Would have been nice.
2. Lower door lights - These were nice on the 6, not included on the CX-5.
3. Useless cubby hole on left side of dash. 6 had a handy drop down storage unit.
4. Lacks back seat air and heat adjustments and vent.

These are really picky items but would not have cost a lot of money to include, at least 2-4.

Tom C

Two things so far.
1. Only the drivers side window remains operational after ignition is switched off. Passengers window, even from the drivers controls, don't operate with ignition off.
2. Sunroof is one touch to open but to close it you need to hold your onto the switch.

Don't know if this has been mentioned (did search) but, in the UK we don't get a wheel jack. The older model (which I have just traded-in) had one.

You can no longer use the touch screen above 5 mph. Again, there was no restriction (UK) on pre-updated model.

Some other minor issues after couple days with the car:

No glove box lock if I need to valet.
No auto down on all windows.
Cross fade songs on USB would be nice.
Sunglasses holder is pretty small.
Cubby area could use a cover since it won't be used often.

My GF laments the fact that switching between favorite radio stations is a 3 step process. First you have to hit the star button on the commander console, then scroll to the desired station, then push in to select it. And if you don't like the song you have to do it all over again. Of course on traditional radios you have buttons that you can assign as favorites so you can quickly switch from station to station. I don't listen to the radio much so it doesn't bother me but I can see how it can be annoying. Any short cuts I'm missing?

Last edited:
Back