2016 Infotainment problems

52804x4

:
'16 Mazda CX-5 GT
It seems more and more problems are coming to the surface with this new system for the 2016's (is it in any of the 2015 models?). Maybe we can use this thread as a "catch all" for all the little problems/issues, and if the dealer has fixed any of them.

Last night I lost the ability to go to the "♫" (music) page. I could get there by hitting the star/favorites button and choosing a station. If I was in any other screen I could not navigate to music. Going to the home screen and scrolling over to the music icon and selecting did noting. Pressing the quick "♫" button did nothing. When I could get to the music screen via favorites, when I scrolled over to choose between AM/FM/XM/etc. clicking any other option did nothing. I am about to head out for the first time since this happened last night. I wasn't in a mood to mess with it when I got home, so I am hoping a fresh reboot has fixed it. I will report back. (EDIT:It works fine again after starting it up this AM)

So far I have read about:

1) Unit reboots in the middle of driving (happened to me)
2) Screen goes black during navigation
3) Music screen (also music input ie AM/FM/XM) is not selectable
4) Stored favorites all disappear (happened to me)
5) Navigation can be WAY off.

Last edited:
Nav screen goes dark during several trips, also the reception seem to be terrible on these models.
Music randomly reset back to no.1 song in the folder while using usb drive mode, this happened sometimes when I restart the car.
Bluetooth text message problem with iOS.
System freeze up when playing songs with special characters

Haven't noticed too many bugs, but the software design is pretty awful and needs some tweaking.

1. No ability to cancel BlueTooth audio reconnection search. I don't always keep BT on my phone on and hate getting into the vehicle and having to wait until the pairing search times out before I can change the radio.

2. Commander knob should stay in channel list in Satelite Radio mode until I hit the back button (like FM tuner for example). Surfing stations is irritating since after selection a channel you get booted back to the main music menu and have to access the channel list again manually each time.

3. USB takes way too long to access files. Seems to be actually accessing files instead of just providing the folder structure.

4. Radio (and windows/moonroof) should stay on after shutting off the car until a door is opened.

5. Pandora reconnect is iffy, especially if the app is already open on my phone.

Also, from a hardware standpoint, AM/FM reception seems to be weak.

I actually really like the system overall and it's got a lot of potential if they just streamline a couple of things.

I noticed yesterday that when the car is in motion, I can't finish a navigation command with the command control dial. I was in stop-and-go traffic, would stop at a stop light and get part of a navigation command in, then as the car would start moving forward I tried to switch to the command control dial to finish but the system wouldn't let me. Is there a work-around for this?

Also, the system doesn't seem to like one navigation command right after another without first canceling the prior command. Yesterday I gave the command for one destination and the system did well. When I arrived at the destination I didn't cancel the command before I turned off the car. I get back in the car and used the Home command. I think it was a bit confused and wouldn't complete reset to my home address. I cancelled the command, put my home address in and then it was fine. I am chalking this one up to my learning curve on a new system.

Well, I just tried saving a few radio stations as favorites this afternoon and I managed to crash/reboot the system three times. And every time the new favorites I just added were gone, but the two I had added last week are still there. No idea what causes it; I don't think I am pressing any fancy button combinations...

One of those times I also added a favorite contact which also disappeared during the next crash (again, another contact I had saved as favorite last week is still there), so I don't think it affects only the radio stations.

Check for a firmware update!

Well, I just tried saving a few radio stations as favorites this afternoon and I managed to crash/reboot the system three times. And every time the new favorites I just added were gone, but the two I had added last week are still there. No idea what causes it; I don't think I am pressing any fancy button combinations...

One of those times I also added a favorite contact which also disappeared during the next crash (again, another contact I had saved as favorite last week is still there), so I don't think it affects only the radio stations.

Somewhere in the forum's audio section (recently) there is a reference to a new firmware ( numbered 55) update for the 2016...That is supposed to fix the crashing problem. If like the others here, you have firmware 51!

Just got back from dealer. They didn't have 55, they even said that what they had was older than mine 51. It took some effort to make them download 55 and install it.
Can't tell if there's any difference so far. Time will tell.

I spent three hours at the dealership today where they downloaded the update twice and still were unable to install it in my car. Worked fine on another car in the showroom but for some reason mine just would not recognize the USB stick and the update files. So they will have to call Mazda on Monday to see what might be going on there.

And, yes, they had no clue about v55 either and I had to educate them about it... :)

It seems that 55 fixed the problem with navigation not being able to position on the map correctly even with GPS locked up on satellites

Also, what's more important and probably deserves another topic - there is now what seems to be live traffic support. At least there are menu items and the list of traffic events, although it's always grey and empty here.

Had mine 8 days .... So far ...
1. Locked up and had to restart car
2. Slow boots
3. Will not connect to text messages consistently ... Sometimes yes, sometimes no
4. Bluetooth Music will not start unless I first start it from the phone app. Android 4.4 motog phone
5. And this is huge ... Infotainment system will not dim when the lights come on as of tonight . Dim control in settings does not work at all. And when I turn the lights on if I tell it to turn off the display and back on it comes on dim ... But then. Will not brighten back up.

Tried to restore factory display defaults and get a message saying it is unable to restore.

And the command to restore all factory defaults is grayed out

So it seems totally screwed to me. Firmware is .51

Last edited:
2. Commander knob should stay in channel list in Satelite Radio mode until I hit the back button (like FM tuner for example). Surfing stations is irritating since after selection a channel you get booted back to the main music menu and have to access the channel list again manually each time.

^ THIS ^ is royally annoying. I also feel the favorites should have different pages per audio source, not one long favorites.... But that's just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can't access audio files on my iPhone via the USB connection. The system reports no audio files found. I can get them to play via Bluetooth, but have to start them playing on the phone.

Can't get the phone to work via Bluetooth over the car audio - downloads contacts so I know connection is good but if I try to dial I get "Can't add call" or something like that. If I make the call on my iPhone and try to switch the audio, via phone menu or car menu, I get nothing. Is there a trick?

Does anyone know the service bulliten update number for the .55 OS UPDATE. My dealer is not finding it

Last edited:
09-022-15 TSB for cx5 navigational issues is available and should fix most
problems. Contact your dealer. This was done for me yesterday.
As the Mazda is my wife's daily driver I cannot verify that any of the
problems are actually resolved. The TSB has an issue date of 6/10/15

Last edited:
Cannot figure out how to access tagged songs on my iPhone. I don't think it actually ever updates on the phone.

there is now what seems to be live traffic support. At least there are menu items and the list of traffic events, although it's always grey and empty here.

Do we need additional hardware to get this to work? Or will it just be enabled via a future software update? Any clue?

Back